07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest The Virus 2013

OK I found the mistake... For Win7, I have a password and I forgot to mention the username and password in CifsManager... Now, It's working fine ! And for my Media hard drive, I have no user information. So I simply put "guest" as username and everything's fine too... Finally !

Guest defectivereject

Anyone else finding that using internet seems to kill the battery extremely fast? I can literally lose 1% our more purr minute. Yet watching videos and playing even angry birds or backbreaker football, which are quite graphics heavy don't burden the battery so much? I lost 2% typing this out on my desire, even using swype.

Guest The Virus 2013
Anyone else finding that using internet seems to kill the battery extremely fast? I can literally lose 1% our more purr minute. Yet watching videos and playing even angry birds or backbreaker football, which are quite graphics heavy don't burden the battery so much? I lost 2% typing this out on my desire, even using swype.

Wow ! I use internet a lot on my Desire and never see this... Seems there is a problem with yours

Guest defectivereject
Wow ! I use internet a lot on my Desire and never see this... Seems there is a problem with yours

Yeah I think it's anything using the wireless. Facebook seems to do it too

Launch day Desire runnng latest of this rom

Guest The Virus 2013
Yeah I think it's anything using the wireless. Facebook seems to do it too

Launch day Desire runnng latest of this rom

I've WiFi always on, and TweetDeck sync every 10 minutes, Facebook Sync also, + all the HTC and Google Syncs and I have 1 full day of battery with intensive usage, otherwise, 2 days...

Guest fudgeboy

Would it make more sense to move Google Search and Google Maps to /data so they can be updated via the market? I can't think of any significant advantage to having them in /system. Bit frustrating that if you're on r8 then you see the recent updates but can't install them.

I'd propose that everything that receives market updates be moved to /data. Anything that's never updated (e.g., the HTC stuff) could go in either /data or /system.

(Been away for a week, so apologies if this has already been raised.)

i just did a wipe (maps doesnt work for me, even with the updates, its always had an "installation error unknown reason -8") and i have 139mb after the first reboot.

im wondering where im going wrong then. I always do a reboot after initial setup but ive had space issues since R8. Ill do a nandroid backup now and try a new r9 rom and come back, perhaps im an odd case

edit : just flashed a freshly cooked rom and this time only 84.6 mb after first reboot

dareal, do you have a2sd enabled on the rom you have installed?

Edited by Diggedy

Guest The Virus 2013
Would it make more sense to move Google Search and Google Maps to /data so they can be updated via the market? I can't think of any significant advantage to having them in /system. Bit frustrating that if you're on r8 then you see the recent updates but can't install them.

I'd propose that everything that receives market updates be moved to /data. Anything that's never updated (e.g., the HTC stuff) could go in either /data or /system.

You have the choice to not include Maps in the Rom, and then install it from the Market anyway. The benefit of have it to system is simply space ! But Paul react really fast, so there is no real problem to wait for him to update the kitchen. At worth you lose 2 days since the official update...

I've got an issue when i perform a full wipe, After the Rom has been flashed it got stuck after i finished htc setup wizard. I'm getting a black screen with only the notificationbar. ???

I've WiFi always on, and TweetDeck sync every 10 minutes, Facebook Sync also, + all the HTC and Google Syncs and I have 1 full day of battery with intensive usage, otherwise, 2 days...

wifi browsing isnt as bad as 3g. browsing on 3g destroys my battery

Guest The Virus 2013
wifi browsing isnt as bad as 3g. browsing on 3g destroys my battery

Ha ok you talked about 3G, sorry, I didn't understand it. So I cannot give you any information because I live in a beautifull place in Belgium, where nobody knows what's 3G... loll

Most of the time, I only have GPRS connection here...

i just did a wipe (maps doesnt work for me, even with the updates, its always had an "installation error unknown reason -8") and i have 139mb after the first reboot.

and than you reboot, restore your titanium backup and wake up

with much less internal storage ;-)

as for google maps, got that courious -8 too

this seems to do it:

remove existing Maps.apk (with adb ie), wipe data, flash rom (cooked without checked maps), don't restore backup, install maps, you get an error and market crashes but install is ok, restore backup (dont restore maps of course)

that google maps thing gets annoying, i for one don t want to wipe all the time - there must be a way without wiping, or better without flashing a rom again?!

Edited by woti17

Guest The Virus 2013
and than you reboot, restore your titanium backup and wake up

with much less internal storage ;-)

as for google maps, got that courious -8 too

this seems to do it:

remove existing Maps.apk, flash without checked maps, wipe data, don't restore backup, install maps, you get an error and market crashes but install is ok, restore backup (dont restore maps of course)

that google maps thing gets annoying, i for one don t want to wipe all the time - there must be a way without wiping, or better without flashing a rom again?!

As I said, correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose that if you uncheck Maps in the Kitchen and then install it from the market, it's no more in the system folder and is a regular app, so from that point, you'll be able to update it without any problem...

As I said, correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose that if you uncheck Maps in the Kitchen and then install it from the market, it's no more in the system folder and is a regular app, so from that point, you'll be able to update it without any problem...

no - for me it didn't work without wipe data, got from the market this "Google Maps has not been installed. Unkown error -8. " after it had downloaded and began to install

im wondering where im going wrong then. I always do a reboot after initial setup but ive had space issues since R8. Ill do a nandroid backup now and try a new r9 rom and come back, perhaps im an odd case

edit : just flashed a freshly cooked rom and this time only 84.6 mb after first reboot

dareal, do you have a2sd enabled on the rom you have installed?

yep, im using a2sd+

Guest jimmymagix

Paul, you seem to have missed this question repeatedly.

Did you get any closer to figuring out the browser issues with flash/javascript? I'm tired of going on the BBC website and having it crash back to home.

However, if you disable javascript before you load a page with the content that makes it crash, then re-enable it and refresh, the content works without issue. Perhaps it is a problem with the page rendering?

Nevertheless, some kind of fix would be appreciated.

Guest Surfinette

Hi Paul, thank you for this great R9 ROM.

I have questions around the management of the RIL files:

07/Sep 11:00 BST

* Updated RIL version

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess the correct RIL files are located in the CORE files of this ROM (or the core additions of this ROM).

In that case, this means that R9 can only be used with the latest radio 32.47.00.32U_5.10.05.23, because if I use an older radio, then your RIL files would no more match the older radio?

This would also mean, that any time I do a full wipe of the phone, the correct RIL files will be deleted, so if I try another ROM after yours, I would need to downgrade the radio unless this other ROM also include the RIL matching the 5.10.05.23 radio?

Sorry, I'm don't even know if my questions are clear, which really means I need some kind of explanation :P

Maybe a suggestion: why don't you put the RIL files as a separate tick box that pple would chose to install only if they have radio 32.47.00.32U_5.10.05.23 also ticked or already installed. Or alternatively, offer two separate downloads: RIL for the 5.10 radio and RIL for the older radios, as some pple may still prefer to use an older radio.

Having them on /system doesn't prevent them being updated.

P

Paul, you seem to have missed this question repeatedly.

Did you get any closer to figuring out the browser issues with flash/javascript? I'm tired of going on the BBC website and having it crash back to home.

However, if you disable javascript before you load a page with the content that makes it crash, then re-enable it and refresh, the content works without issue. Perhaps it is a problem with the page rendering?

Nevertheless, some kind of fix would be appreciated.

I'm not, but i'll look into it. Does it also do it on stock? How about the new OTA stock?

P

Guest Shiva Ramabadran

I had a rock solid r8 + new radio + ril + sub501 governor package.

Am rolling back to that for next couple of weeks as I need a stable device while on the road.

On r9 installed after a wipe, (with only old r8 goodies and sub501 governor settings turned on), I've had intermittent freezes and reboots. Not using any of the other goodies in r9 like CIFS or undervolting, etc. (this is even before I restored any apps via titanium backup). I did have pretty much all the google apps and htc that are compatible checked, but no different than I did in r8.

Also found that I was getting out of space messages on installing from market, even though I should have tons of space.

Lastly, when I installed any of the theme packages (battery %age mods, carbon espresso mod, etc.) I found I was losing the data connection on the radio (wifi kept working fine). Could they be overriding the ril somehow because some of them did include a new rosie/sense ?

I suspect there's something in the base r9 package that is unstable.

Will try r9 again in a couple of weeks and keep trying to find a pattern so my bug reports are more useful and lead to resolution.

Shiva