07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Audioboxer
USB-MS is the right option, yeah. I tend to use the stock recovery and activate it through adb, and it seems okay. Not sure about Clockwork or Amon, I've got Clockwork but don't really use it.

It's always possible that you just have a slow card, or that the phone itself is buffering the transfer, but I don't really have any stats to compare to. I'm using a class 2 16GB card and transfer rates are just okay, nothing special. I couldn't find any 16GB cards with a class in between 2 and 10 that didn't have to be imported for a daft price, and maybe I'm just used to slow USB transfers on everything because I'm a cheapskate!

The other possibility is that you're transferring lots of small files which is always a bitch over USB, and with SD cards. I transferred a gig of music over WLAN last night in about ten minutes though, which is fine for me. Be warned that my Astro bombs out instantly if I attempt to transfer multiple directories at once -- I have to stick everything I want (subdirectories are fine) into a single parent directory on the PC if I want to transfer everything in one go.

I did think of a fourth option as well -- if you're okay with the time it takes to turn your phone off and on again for the recovery method, you could always go back to basics and use a card reader!

Yeah I have a 16GB class 2 Sandisk. It copies around 4~5mb a sec in a card reader, but like 1~1.15mb a sec in USB mode through the phone. I'll try Astro, but that's a bummer about the directories, all my albums are in their own folders.

Guest logicalextreme
Yeah I have a 16GB class 2 Sandisk. It copies around 4~5mb a sec in a card reader, but like 1~1.15mb a sec in USB mode through the phone. I'll try Astro, but that's a bummer about the directories, all my albums are in their own folders.

It may just be me or my home OS that's having the directory issue. I only identified it as a pattern last night, and I'm going to raise it with the dev. There are alternatives that accomplish the same thing -- in fact I prefer the EStrongs interface for remote transfer, I just happen to use Astro because I prefer Astro for everything else. In fact the more I think about it the more I hate the Astro SMB! There are little niggles like the fact that switching between the phone and the remote location resets the current working directory to its defaults. So try EStrongs while you're at it. I'm going to grab a benchmarker and test my RW performance on this card, I'll let you know what I get.

Guest skinnypupp

Would it be possible to take some HTC apps and port them over to another ROM? Really, I just want a few things such as the camera, HTC People with its Facebook sync, and a few other things...

Guest logicalextreme

Okay! Results are in and attached.

Through the card reader (a tiny MicroSD Sandisk or Kingston one that came with another card) writes topped out at ~7MB/s, dropping back to ~5 for transfers >= 256K. Reads topped out at 18-19MB/s and held steady.

Through the stock recovery, write performance was actually better but reads topped out at ~15MB/s.

I'm also using a class 2 16GB Sandisk. I was about to bemoan the lack of class 4s, which was true when I bought this card at the start of August, but MyMemory now has class 4 cards by Kingston for £21.89 (10p less than the bastard price as I paid for the class 2 from the same place)!

So it might make sense to upgrade. I'm not fussed about having a 16GB class 2, as I can carry it around with me in the reader. I already do this with 8GB cards and if you're primarily using them to read from it's a lot smaller than most USB flash drives, and more versatile because you always have a reader. I can't say for certain that the class 4 would perform any better though -- this class 2 is averaging class 4 speeds for writes already, and I don't know that any performance increase in the card won't be mitigated by the phone itself. Anybody else got notably faster writes on a class 4 card when you access it through the phone's USB connection?

post-749438-1285762771_thumb.png

post-749438-1285762787_thumb.png

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest renegade027

B

Thanks renegade, I'll give them both a go. I'm not bothered by landscape, I rarely use it. I guess I could zip the tils and unzip them again on the phone...it'll still probably take a while but hey.

Yes, this is what i do actually, so as to avoid having the fone connected to PC for like 2 hrs. Another issue - mentioned on their user forum - is the huge discrepancy between "file size" and "size on disk" of the map packages... they suggest having the FAT32 partition formated with a 2048 bite size clusters, which will not. speed the transfers, but at least won't "waste" so much space on the SD card...I've done that when I still did not have much saved on the card. I would think any off-line maps package would use the same approach (2kb tiles) as that's how, for example, google maps works.

On the positive side, with Maverick you are free to select multiple regions with the zoom levels you actually need. There's no way to filter out "water" though.. if your (rectangular) selection has to include parts of the sea or a lake, that could mean you end up having thousands of blank blue tiles.

Guest logicalextreme
B

Yes, this is what i do actually, so as to avoid having the fone connected to PC for like 2 hrs. Another issue - mentioned on their user forum - is the huge discrepancy between "file size" and "size on disk" of the map packages... they suggest having the FAT32 partition formated with a 2048 bite size clusters, which will not. speed the transfers, but at least won't "waste" so much space on the SD card...I've done that when I still did not have much saved on the card. I would think any off-line maps package would use the same approach (2kb tiles) as that's how, for example, google maps works.

On the positive side, with Maverick you are free to select multiple regions with the zoom levels you actually need. There's no way to filter out "water" though.. if your (rectangular) selection has to include parts of the sea or a lake, that could mean you end up having thousands of blank blue tiles.

Considering cluster size seems to be the sensible approach, I'm assuming I have the default at the moment; but luckily I'm only going to Prague and staying in the city for the most part (whereas when I was using Nokia Maps, I was travelling all over Europe which made the one-click download of an entire scalable map of Europe invaluable!). So no seas or lakes either, just a river; and I can get rid of the tiles once I'm back because I have faith in Google and/or HTC to come up with a robust caching or offline Maps solution by the next time I go away! If not, I suppose I could grab an old-model Nokia and use it purely as a map device (my goddamn N95 got stolen in Budapest in the end -- best thing that could've happened to the horrible Symbian POS, but I hadn't backed up a month's worth of travelling photos!).

Guest Subject Delta

Just a little hint for people having issues with updating Gmail from the market.

If you now have S-OFF enabled, launch a terminal, go into SU mode, and then enter without the quotes "mount -o remount,rw /system". By default, even with S-OFF enabled, Android mounts your /system partition as read only to prevent nefarious apps from tampering with it, and you have to remount it with RW privileges. I just tried this and it worked :lol:

Then you should be able to update the Gmail app correctly.

Guest logicalextreme
There's no way to filter out "water" though.. if your (rectangular) selection has to include parts of the sea or a lake, that could mean you end up having thousands of blank blue tiles.

Maybe you could grab a list of the filenames of the blue tiles, delete them and then batch a bunch of symlinks to a single tile that says "HERE BE DRAGONS"

Guest shadamehr

Paul,

I think it's already been covered/mentioned plenty before me, in the preceeding five pages or so, but I find that Custom Boot Animation is not playing ball...

I usually just drop my own bootanimation.zip file OVER THE TOP of your own/existing one, in the ROM file, before copying it over to my SD Card, then installing.

For some reason, since my last r9 bake on 14th Sept, today's bake, is just showing me the shiny "Android" text animation one instead, despite me having over-written the file in the ROM zip with my ow...?

Guest Subject Delta
Paul,

I think it's already been covered/mentioned plenty before me, in the preceeding five pages or so, but I find that Custom Boot Animation is not playing ball...

I usually just drop my own bootanimation.zip file OVER THE TOP of your own/existing one, in the ROM file, before copying it over to my SD Card, then installing.

For some reason, since my last r9 bake on 14th Sept, today's bake, is just showing me the shiny "Android" text animation one instead, despite me having over-written the file in the ROM zip with my ow...?

Yep, I noticed that as well. I select the Nexus One boot animation in the kitchen and it displays the default one instead

Guest Subject Delta
Yep, I noticed that as well. I select the Nexus One boot animation in the kitchen and it displays the default one instead

I tried adding a boot logo into my ROM manually and it still displays the stock Android animation.

Okay, to fix the bootanimation (the update script should be fixed as well):

adb reboot recovery

adb shell mount -a

adb shell rm /system/customize/resource/bootanimation.zip

adb shell ln -s /data/local/bootanimation.zip /system/media/

adb reboot

you can also use the above, that work for me and others.

Grobie

Just a little hint for people having issues with updating Gmail from the market.

If you now have S-OFF enabled, launch a terminal, go into SU mode, and then enter without the quotes "mount -o remount,rw /system". By default, even with S-OFF enabled, Android mounts your /system partition as read only to prevent nefarious apps from tampering with it, and you have to remount it with RW privileges. I just tried this and it worked :lol:

Then you should be able to update the Gmail app correctly.

Hi,

I followed the above via Android Terminal Emulator but as my Gmail is already updated, did it via recovery...how would I confirm if I have rw rights?

Guest Subject Delta
Hi,

I followed the above via Android Terminal Emulator but as my Gmail is already updated, did it via recovery...how would I confirm if I have rw rights?

You have to put that command in every time you reboot the phone if you want RW access to the system from within the phone.

However, the easiest way to confirm it is to simply plug the phone in with debugging enabled and do an adb remount from the SDK. If that succeeds you have RW

Guest gianfrancovialli10
Paul, give us an update ;)

Heh, hope work is going well.

is it just me or is this current radio a bit slower with wifi and hspda, compared with the previous radio?

@Paul

I know have my update script not deleting /data/local anymore

And have also symlinked the Boot Sound

symlink /data/local/android_audio.mp3 SYSTEM:customize/resource/android_audio.mp3

Maybe an idea for the Kitchen?

Edited by Noonski

Guest Elemetrix

Had a weird one tonight.. used the online kitchen, selected all of my options, downloaded the baked ROM and flashed it.

Well it turns out it was a bare ROM with none of my selections :-/ So i've installed ROM Manager from the market and redid the online kitchen.

But now when I try to flash this new ROM I just get a phone with a red question mark followed by a reboot :lol:

Edited by Elemetrix

Guest saisquare
You have to put that command in every time you reboot the phone if you want RW access to the system from within the phone.

However, the easiest way to confirm it is to simply plug the phone in with debugging enabled and do an adb remount from the SDK. If that succeeds you have RW

I just do S-OFF flash, but i still cannot directly update busybox in booted desire. Any idea?

Have already mount system as RW access....

Had a weird one tonight.. used the online kitchen, selected all of my options, downloaded the baked ROM and flashed it.

Well it turns out it was a bare ROM with none of my selections :-/ So i've installed ROM Manager from the market and redid the online kitchen.

But now when I try to flash this new ROM I just get a phone with a red question mark followed by a reboot :lol:

I had this too. I built a ROM in the kitchen and when I installed it there was no MoDaCo bootanimation and rom manager and titanium backup weren't there (They were baked in). I am now using my r9 build from the 20th as everything later seems to be broke!

Will try again when Paul next updates the r9 kitchen

David P