07/Mar Fr11 - WITH SENSE: MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen (2.2 / Froyo)

Guest PaulOBrien

Finally I solved the problem by installing Google Maps via adb when phone is switch on and OS loaded. I don't know why it was not installing in recovery (maybe some superuser issue).

But I'm still interested to know why it was not possible to install Google Maps on Market.

Guest alex_hk90
Anyone here who successfully installed r9 on a PTV4 Desire?

THX in advance

I have a PVT4 Desire and am running MCR r9. But I have the type of PVT4 which you can still S-OFF.

Guest Kiran J. Holla

Paul,

Noticed two issues with the final build of R9 (I baked myself one very recently; the R9 WIP version I was running earlier did not have these issues).

1. The Power consumption seems to be very high. Or, should I say the battery drains itself out very quickly compared to the earlier build. Even adding Undervolt and the Governors doesn't seem to help.
  2. Frequent Crashes of the phone. It appears to me that if you use the 3G data connection while the phone is plugged into the charger, something goes wrong resulting in a crash reboot of the phone. There is no issue while using 3G when the phone is not plugged in or when charging the phone when it is sitting idle. The issue only seems to occur when 3G and the charger are used simultaneously.

Is it just me who is facing these issues or are there others who have noticed similar issues?

Please can you take a look at these two issues in R10?

Thanks,

Kiran

Guest logicalextreme
Paul,

Is it just me who is facing these issues or are there others who have noticed similar issues?

Can't comment on the 3G -- wherever I'm using a charger, I've got wireless -- but my battery did seem to drain faster after upgrading to r9 final from WIP, despite applying undervolt. It still gets me through the day at work though (just). I unplug it at about 8:30 in the morning and it's dead by about 11pm. I do a decent amount of browsing, VNC and RSS sync on it though.

Edited by logicalextreme

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Can't comment on the 3G -- wherever I'm using a charger, I've got wireless -- but my battery did seem to drain faster after upgrading to r9 final from WIP, despite applying undervolt. It still gets me through the day at work though (just). I unplug it at about 8:30 in the morning and it's dead by about 11pm. I do a decent amount of browsing, VNC and RSS sync on it though.

For me, R9 WIP + Undervolt + Governors used to last the day. But R9 Final + Undervolt + Governors seems to last me just 8 hours :)

Regards,

Kiran

Of course this is very subjective as 'normal use' and 'heavy use' are different things to different people but I cannot say that I have noticed a drop in battery life on v9. I get a days worth of use which includes at least two hours of music/podcasts. i also have SetCPU installed.

I have never got my head round battery life but i suspect there are apps out there that are badly coded and possibly eat far mor battery than they need to. What they are is a mystery. But as mentioned I'm not sure there is anything specifically wrong with v9 over the WIP.

Guest logicalextreme
Of course this is very subjective as 'normal use' and 'heavy use' are different things to different people but I cannot say that I have noticed a drop in battery life on v9. I get a days worth of use which includes at least two hours of music/podcasts. i also have SetCPU installed.

I have never got my head round battery life but i suspect there are apps out there that are badly coded and possibly eat far mor battery than they need to. What they are is a mystery. But as mentioned I'm not sure there is anything specifically wrong with v9 over the WIP.

I'd be tempted to agree. Some are just hogs. Sometimes you'll have a service that just doesn't give up even when struggling with a 3G connection (presumably if no timeouts were written in). Sometimes the handset's just too hot. And my usage probably is very different to when I was on WIP, and it's still changing. What's interesting though is that music never seems to drain the battery much for me (or not consistently, anyway). On a half-hour walk to work listening to music, I've arrived to find the battery just below 90% on some days, and on others still at 100%.

Guest Kiran J. Holla

You have a point there. However, I am not comparing with someone else's usage.

I had my phone setup with R9 WIP and a lot of the apps that I generally make use of. I then baked an R9 Final and then installed all those apps again. My usage pattern has not changed between when I was on R9 WIP and now that I am using R9 Final. The only difference is that on R9 WIP I had GMaps 4.5 built-in and on R9 Final, I now have GMaps 5.0 from the market.

Unless GMaps 5.0 is causing all that battery drain (which I suspect it isn't) I would say that there is something that has changed within the ROM that is causing all that battery drain.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest le_lutin
You have a point there. However, I am not comparing with someone else's usage.

I had my phone setup with R9 WIP and a lot of the apps that I generally make use of. I then baked an R9 Final and then installed all those apps again. My usage pattern has not changed between when I was on R9 WIP and now that I am using R9 Final. The only difference is that on R9 WIP I had GMaps 4.5 built-in and on R9 Final, I now have GMaps 5.0 from the market.

Unless GMaps 5.0 is causing all that battery drain (which I suspect it isn't) I would say that there is something that has changed within the ROM that is causing all that battery drain.

Regards,

Kiran

Are there not apps out there which tell you what is draining your battery?

Guest gubacsek
For me, R9 WIP + Undervolt + Governors used to last the day. But R9 Final + Undervolt + Governors seems to last me just 8 hours :)

Regards,

Kiran

I'm not sure, it is the ROM. Unfortunately, or sadly, i think it is our batteries giving up... I tried 2-3 ROMs in the last weeks, and i got the same result... about 8 hours of battery time.

The usage is pretty hard though, streaming radio, browsing, playing, tweetdeck on 12 minutes sync, mails each hour, sometimes it doesn't even take 8 hours to drain the battery (i use it constant 4-5 hours).

I don't know how many times such a battery can be charged, and discharged, but i'm almost sure i charded mine about 5-600 times already...

I was able to kill my thinkpad's battery in about one year also... I feel the same thing now with my precious Desire ;) Maybe it's time took for a replacement....

Although:

bash-4.0# cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/health                 
Good
[/codebox]

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Are there not apps out there which tell you what is draining your battery?

I haven't found any that give this level of detail. The Battery information already on the Desire simply says that the Android System is taking up the maximum portion of the charge.

I'm not sure, it is the ROM. Unfortunately, or sadly, i think it is our batteries giving up... I tried 2-3 ROMs in the last weeks, and i got the same result... about 8 hours of battery time.

The usage is pretty hard though, streaming radio, browsing, playing, tweetdeck on 12 minutes sync, mails each hour, sometimes it doesn't even take 8 hours to drain the battery (i use it constant 4-5 hours).

I don't know how many times such a battery can be charged, and discharged, but i'm almost sure i charded mine about 5-600 times already...

I was able to kill my thinkpad's battery in about one year also... I feel the same thing now with my precious Desire :) Maybe it's time took for a replacement....

Although:

bash-4.0# cat /sys/class/power_supply/battery/health				 

Good

Again, if it were the battery, I should have seen a gradual decrease in battery life and not the sudden dip coinciding with me flashing the newly baked R9 Final ROM.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest codemann

I wanted to use my Google Maps Navigation yesterday, but it didn't want to work. It keeps saying "Checking availability of navigation" (free translation from the dutch text on my phone so the real English text can be slightly different).

The weird thing is that you see the radar icon appear, it gets a lock, and then it disappears again... This just keeps repeating over and over.

When I try other software (compass, gps status, ...) I have no problems at all.

Anyone has an idea what could be wrong?

Guest Martin__S

I have he A2SD+ version of this rom with EXT3 partition created using Backup manager.

The free space reported on the internal storage appears to be decreasing without me installing any additional apps.

Now reporting 86mb free, it was 90+ yesterday etc

I've used Titanium backup to clean Dalvik cache and it reports no unneeded files.

How can I see what's using up the free space ?

Cheers.

Guest ukracer
I have he A2SD+ version of this rom with EXT3 partition created using Backup manager.

The free space reported on the internal storage appears to be decreasing without me installing any additional apps.

Now reporting 86mb free, it was 90+ yesterday etc

I've used Titanium backup to clean Dalvik cache and it reports no unneeded files.

How can I see what's using up the free space ?

Cheers.

Oh damn and blast.....it was all going too well but now its locked up and just displays android acros the screen highlighting from left to right every 30 seconds it disappears and comes back and it all starts again but the phone never boots.

what the hell have I done to my phone please????

Guest ukracer
My ROM/OS is now prompting me to download and install Update. Should I be doing updates as they prompt me?

After installing this rom should we start seeing new stuff. it looks the same as before except all my paid for apps are misssing...arrggg

\it says its updated as the software version is correct but not a lot is new.

After installing this rom should we start seeing new stuff. it looks the same as before except all my paid for apps are misssing...arrggg

\it says its updated as the software version is correct but not a lot is new.

The ROM is actually new and different to the stock standard, but yet it looks the same. Your purchased apps, you'll have to install again and other apps.

The update I'm referring to is like a System Update. I want to know if we download and apply the system updates.

Guest ukracer
The ROM is actually new and different to the stock standard, but yet it looks the same.

I see references to things that do not appear to be in it though.

Your purchased apps, you'll have to install again and other apps.

But do I have to pay for them again?? I backed everything up but cant see it there now looks like the new rom has wiped them out.

The update I'm referring to is like a System Update. I want to know if we download and apply the system updates.

I saw this in the bootloader but did not update..

Guest Kiran J. Holla
The ROM is actually new and different to the stock standard, but yet it looks the same. Your purchased apps, you'll have to install again and other apps.

Nope, once you've rooted it will not allow you to apply the software update that HTC pushes out. I have simply disabled automatic checks for software updates and simply rely on Paul providing the updates through his kitchens.

Regards,

Kiran

Guest Kiran J. Holla
I see references to things that do not appear to be in it though.

Not sure what references you are referring to. Can you elaborate? What updates are you expecting to see?

But do I have to pay for them again?? I backed everything up but cant see it there now looks like the new rom has wiped them out.

No, you will not need to pay for them again. Once you have paid for and installed an application from the Android Market, they should be available for you to download again in the "Downloads" section. You will have to login using the same Google Account that you used while you purchased them.

Regards,

Kiran

I've got R8 installed at the moment (ext3, ROM Manager, Titanium, etc). Tried R9 but so many of the apps that were baked go to the system partition, there was only about 60Mb left (Internal - Quick Sys Info) for my market apps - so unusable. I've restored my R8 backup while I figure this out. It motivated me to get S-OFF (thanks AlphaRev) and Root Explorer. I'm experimenting with moving apps from system\app to data\app (ext3). I picked Teeter to work on. I moved it, rebooted, and it worked but the settings were lost (i.e. it started at level 1 again instead of 40 which is where I was). Trying to restore with Titanium (just data) does nothing. Recovering the backup R8 ROM again restores it with the levels intact.

So my question is, how can I transfer the app with the settings intact? Do I have to hunt for "Teeter" data files in data\data and copy them manually somewhere? Teeter is just an example of course. I would like to move apps so their data is intact (and mostly I want to understand what is going on).

thanks

Edited by rebus

Guest Kiran J. Holla
I've got R8 installed at the moment (ext3, ROM Manager, Titanium, etc). Tried R9 but so many of the apps that were baked go to the system partition, there was only about 60Mb left (Internal - Quick Sys Info) for my market apps - so unusable. I've restored my R8 backup while I figure this out. It motivated me to get S-OFF (thanks AlphaRev) and Root Explorer. I'm experimenting with moving apps from system\app to data\app (ext3). I picked Teeter to work on. I moved it, rebooted, and it worked but the settings were lost (i.e. it started at level 1 again instead of 40 which is where I was). Trying to restore with Titanium (just data) does nothing. Recovering the backup R8 ROM again restores it with the levels intact.

So my question is, how can I transfer the app with the settings intact? Do I have to hunt for "Teeter" data files in data\data and copy them manually somewhere? Teeter is just an example of course. I would like to move apps so their data is intact (and mostly I want to understand what is going on).

thanks

I don't have an answer to your question about manually moving apps from /system/app to /data/app while retaining the settings - sorry that is a bit out of my league.

But I am curious, was that after a fresh ROM install after a full-wipe? 60 MB after a fresh ROM install sounds very low - what do you have baked in? I personally bake the ROM itself to be very minimalistic and install all apps from the Market. That way, only those Apps that aren't available in the market (things like Mail, Teeter) will go into /system/app and everything else (Gmaps, Gmail, YouTube, ROM Manager, Titanium Backup, etc.) should to go /data/app on the SD Card. That approach has been useful in saving space.

Regards,

Kiran

Hi Kiran

I always do a full wipe from recovery. I've now come to the same conclusion as you and will do a minimal bake. I originally thought it would be easy to migrate the apps from system to data after the fact - and it is except for the settings. I'm mostly curious about it now. I think I'll need to knock up a sample app to explore further.

I'm not sure about some apps though. I think Gmaps from the market has restrictions outside the US (I'm in Oz). Can you post your list of apps that you do bake to system? Also do you run a2sd or a2sd+?

cheers

Edited by rebus

Guest Kiran J. Holla
Hi Kiran

I always do a full wipe from recovery. I've now come to the same conclusion as you and will do a minimal bake. I originally thought it would be easy to migrate the apps from system to data after the fact - and it is except for the settings. I'm mostly curious about it now. I think I'll need to knock up a sample app to explore further.

I'm not sure about some apps though. I think Gmaps from the market has restrictions outside the US (I'm in Oz). Can you post your list of apps that you do bake to system? Also do you run a2sd or a2sd+?

cheers

Hi Rebus,

I generally bake only the following into the ROM:

• Google Applications:
    • News and Weather
    • Voice Dialer

• HTC Applications:
      • App sharing
      • Calculator
      • Car Panel
      • Flickr
      • Flashlight / Torch
      • FM Radio
      • Footprints
      • Friend Stream
      • HTC IME
      • Lock Screen
      • Mail
      • News/RSS
      • PDF Viewer
      • Peep
      • Sense/Rosie
      • SIM Toolkit
      • Stocks
      • Teeter
      • Voice Recorder
      • Weather
      • World Clock

• HTC Sense Widgets:
        • Battery Widget
        • Coin Flip Widget
        • Dice Widget
        • Note Widget
        • Quick Recorder
        • Sand Timer

• Third Party Applications:
          • Jbed Java

• Modaco Additions:
            • ASE + Scripts
            • Spare Parts

• Boot Options:
              • Stock Boot Animation

[*]Trackpad Wake Options (select only one!):

[*]Trackpad Wake with Power

[*]WiFi Options (select only one!):

[*]Standard WiFi

[*]Expert Options:

[*]A2SD+

[*]Disable Perflock

[*]Smooth Theme

[*]Expert Options - Additional Modules Provided by Sub501:

[*]Custom Governors

[*]CFQ

[*]Undervolt

After the bake is completed:

[*]I manually go into the ROM and delete /system/app/Gmail.apk since I prefer downloading this from the market.

[*]I patch /system/app/Mail.apk using FroyoMailUnlocker to allow me to use the HTC Lock Pattern with an Exchange account

After this, I download Titanium Backup, ROM Manager, VoiceSearch, YouTube, Flash, Lookout, Facebook, Seesmic, GMaps, Gmail from the market, but all these go to EXT3 on SD.

Also, I am in India and GMaps 5.0 from the market works fine for me - yes 3D Data is not available in India so the buildings don't pop out of the map but other than that, it works just great.

Regards,

Kiran

Edited by Kiran J. Holla