T-Mobile USA 3G Dell Streak data being blocked

Guest Wee Thomas

Guest the.mister.D
I'm from chicago and I have an extra rebel sim for sale

Hey AndroidClone, which version of RebelSim do you have? Is it 1.2? I might be interested in one. I've just got Streak from Dell site w/o AT&T Contract.

Edited by the.mister.D

Guest Wee Thomas

3G is working on my phone again!!!

Today is the start of my new billing period.

I'm starting to think that t-mobile may have just blocked my account from data - perhaps for high usage (between August 1 and Sept 1, I had about 5GB of data use on my "unlimited" web plan).

Anyway, it is working now. I will keep everyone updated with status!

Edit - 10 minutes later - data is gone :lol:

Edited by Wee Thomas

Guest Wee Thomas

So, after a long session with a t-mobile tech support agent who actually seemed knowledgeable and came to the conclusion that t-mobile for some reason must be kicking my phone off the data network w/o any prompting from me (except for the "why is my phone being detected as a webconnect device"), I decided to go and see if I can get a webconnect sim.

So, t-mobile store and I've got a USB 3G webconnect modem - can return it in 14 days with $10 restocking fee. And so far, it is working. I will continue to try it out, see if I have the same or faster 3G speeds, and whether I can get any good voip services while I'm at it.

Guest the.mister.D
So, after a long session with a t-mobile tech support agent who actually seemed knowledgeable and came to the conclusion that t-mobile for some reason must be kicking my phone off the data network w/o any prompting from me (except for the "why is my phone being detected as a webconnect device"), I decided to go and see if I can get a webconnect sim.

So, t-mobile store and I've got a USB 3G webconnect modem - can return it in 14 days with $10 restocking fee. And so far, it is working. I will continue to try it out, see if I have the same or faster 3G speeds, and whether I can get any good voip services while I'm at it.

Hey Thomas, Just have a quick question. what is the difference between webconnect sim and USB 3G webconnect modem and how does it relate to accessing 3g data on Streak?

Guest Wee Thomas
Hey Thomas, Just have a quick question. what is the difference between webconnect sim and USB 3G webconnect modem and how does it relate to accessing 3g data on Streak?

So what I got was a usb 3g modem which uses a sim card to authenticate to t-mobile. I just took that sim card and put it in my phone. So far, my interwebs is still working and I've setup a voip service that connects with my google voice so there should be minimal disruption with most people that I know.

Guest Wee Thomas

So what I got was a usb 3g modem which uses a sim card to authenticate to t-mobile. I just took that sim card and put it in my phone. So far, my interwebs is still working and I've setup a voip service that connects with my google voice so there should be minimal disruption with most people that I know.

Guest Wee Thomas

Guest Wee Thomas

Guest the.mister.D

Thomas does that mean that you can not use your tmobile phone number because you have a different sim card?

Guest Wee Thomas
Thomas does that mean that you can not use your tmobile phone number because you have a different sim card?

That is correct. But for most of 2010, I have rarely used my t-mobile number anyway. Very few people have that, and almost everyone has my google voice number. So for most people, they won't notice any change - except perhaps that call quality sometimes won't be as good.

Guest the.mister.D
That is correct. But for most of 2010, I have rarely used my t-mobile number anyway. Very few people have that, and almost everyone has my google voice number. So for most people, they won't notice any change - except perhaps that call quality sometimes won't be as good.

Thomas, so how do you deal with sending/receiving SMS?

Guest Wee Thomas
Thomas, so how do you deal with sending/receiving SMS?

Google voice. I have continuous access to the internet. So I can just send and reply to SMS via google voice.

But. . . it turns out I can use the native SMS client. Because, the webconnect SIM card has a phone number associated with it - and I can use it to send and receive text messages. And the android google voice app can activate a phone via text message. So I was able to add the webconnect number to my google voice account, even though that phone number cannot make or receive phone calls.

Then I just have google voice forward texts to the phone, I reply using the phone's SMS (actually, I use chompSMS) and google voice forwards my reply to the correct person. All of this remains transparent to the end user. They only see that they text my google voice number and get a reply from the same number.

Google voice is really quite amazing on its own. Combined with my SIP service and pbx, I have pretty powerful control over how my phone calls and text messages are routed.

I've now determined some voice codec settings that seem to work well for me so that now my calls have no echo and little discernible lag (you can tell when there is lag when you start speaking and it takes the other person a bit longer to hear you and stop talking). The only issue now is that at the beginning of calls, there is a 2-3 second window of time where the other person doesn't seem to really hear me - I think this is related to using TCP as the transport protocol for my voice data. UDP would remove that issue, but call quality would go down due to the lack of any error checking or good QoS. TCP takes time to setup which only happens after the call is actually connected.

So pretty soon, I'll head over to a t-mobile store and cancel my voice plan and switch my number to a prepaid line. I'll just put whatever the minimum amount ($10USD) to keep it active for the few months while I handle switching everyone (mostly family or friends that I've known for more than 4 years) to my google voice. I should be able to have my prepaid line forward my calls to google voice so there would be no need to carry around a second phone and looking at my google voice records will allow me to figure out if there is anyone important that I missed who is still calling my cell.

But pretty much everyone not in my contact list with my cell number I don't really care about, so not notifying them of the change isn't a big deal to me. I handle my banking, credit cards, school, etc online so if any of those services have my cell number, I will eventually notice it and change it online.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UMAIR239
Google voice. I have continuous access to the internet. So I can just send and reply to SMS via google voice.

But. . . it turns out I can use the native SMS client. Because, the webconnect SIM card has a phone number associated with it - and I can use it to send and receive text messages. And the android google voice app can activate a phone via text message. So I was able to add the webconnect number to my google voice account, even though that phone number cannot make or receive phone calls.

Then I just have google voice forward texts to the phone, I reply using the phone's SMS (actually, I use chompSMS) and google voice forwards my reply to the correct person. All of this remains transparent to the end user. They only see that they text my google voice number and get a reply from the same number.

Google voice is really quite amazing on its own. Combined with my SIP service and pbx, I have pretty powerful control over how my phone calls and text messages are routed.

I've now determined some voice codec settings that seem to work well for me so that now my calls have no echo and little discernible lag (you can tell when there is lag when you start speaking and it takes the other person a bit longer to hear you and stop talking). The only issue now is that at the beginning of calls, there is a 2-3 second window of time where the other person doesn't seem to really hear me - I think this is related to using TCP as the transport protocol for my voice data. UDP would remove that issue, but call quality would go down due to the lack of any error checking or good QoS. TCP takes time to setup which only happens after the call is actually connected.

So pretty soon, I'll head over to a t-mobile store and cancel my voice plan and switch my number to a prepaid line. I'll just put whatever the minimum amount ($10USD) to keep it active for the few months while I handle switching everyone (mostly family or friends that I've known for more than 4 years) to my google voice. I should be able to have my prepaid line forward my calls to google voice so there would be no need to carry around a second phone and looking at my google voice records will allow me to figure out if there is anyone important that I missed who is still calling my cell.

But pretty much everyone not in my contact list with my cell number I don't really care about, so not notifying them of the change isn't a big deal to me. I handle my banking, credit cards, school, etc online so if any of those services have my cell number, I will eventually notice it and change it online.

Dear Dell Streak T-Mobile Users,

I just wanted to testify that I got the Dell Streak T-Mobile 1700mhz 3G for USA from someone who sold it because t-mobile was blocking the device and recognizing it as a web-connect device. But that issue has been resolved (I Believe) Since I have been using my Streak on Android plan from Yesterday and it has been working Flawlessly on HSDPA and 3G......Anyone else experiencing the same???? Please notify, thanks

Edited by UMAIR239

On another forum, I've had one non AWS user on T-Mobile state that his acct is still fine. I'm waiting to see if I hear from anyo

This is annoying since it was working fine. I hope this issue is fixed soon since I use it all the

HELLO ARE USING THE REBEL SIM TO GET TMOBILE DATA OR IT IS A FATORY UNLOCKED PLEASE WANNA BUY ONE BUT DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

THANKS

I just wanted to testify that I got the Dell Streak T-Mobile 1700mhz 3G for USA from someone who sold it because t-mobile was blocking the device and recognizing it as a web-connect device. But that issue has been resolved (I Believe) Since I have been using my Streak on Android plan from Yesterday and it has been working Flawlessly on HSDPA and 3G......Anyone else experiencing the same????

Can you please let me know if you are using a WEBCONNECT sim card or the rebel sim card and if your phone is phone is the O2 or ATT version and please do your data connection still working and sorry for my english i am not a native

thanks

Guest Wee Thomas
I just wanted to testify that I got the Dell Streak T-Mobile 1700mhz 3G for USA from someone who sold it because t-mobile was blocking the device and recognizing it as a web-connect device. But that issue has been resolved (I Believe) Since I have been using my Streak on Android plan from Yesterday and it has been working Flawlessly on HSDPA and 3G......Anyone else experiencing the same????

Can you please let me know if you are using a WEBCONNECT sim card or the rebel sim card and if your phone is phone is the O2 or ATT version and please do your data connection still working and sorry for my english i am not a native

thanks

Hmm, well, I've decided I don't want to be locked into a 2 year plan. So, tomorrow, I will return my webconnect stuff and switch back to my Even More Plus and see what happens. I'll update with results.

Guest GodfatherSadri

I am interested in buying an unlocked AWS T-Mobile 3G version Dell Streak in the Southern California area (LA or OC) If anyone is local around here and has one in next to new condition with box and everything please contact me and I will pay anywhere from $500-600 cash for it..

Edited by GodfatherSadri

Guest Wee Thomas

So, I've been back on my normal Even More Plus + unlimited txt + unlimited data since Sunday and so far - everything is working great. I'm glad I held on to my Streak!

So, I've been back on my normal Even More Plus + unlimited txt + unlimited data since Sunday and so far - everything is working great. I'm glad I held on to my Streak!

Do you have the t-mobile compatible version of the Streak? I have one, and I am still getting blocked 3G coverage in LA (Edge is working). I spoke to a representative and she said that t-mo is specifically blocking the beta units. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

Guest Wee Thomas
Do you have the t-mobile compatible version of the Streak? I have one, and I am still getting blocked 3G coverage in LA (Edge is working). I spoke to a representative and she said that t-mo is specifically blocking the beta units. Has anyone found a way to fix this?

Mine is a non-beta AWS unit. About a month ago, T-Mobile was blocking all data access. Now it's working properly (in Pittsburgh PA). I've not experienced the situation where only 3G was blocked.

• 1 month later...
Guest preacher23

hey guys, does anyone know if dell streak works on mobilicity ? (an aws provider in canada) if so, does n e one know where i can buy the dell streak for aws ?