Cannot install recovery image

Guest Nikki Locke

Guest Nikki Locke

I want to update my new (to me - bought used) HTC Desire to Android 2.2.

I thought the best way to do that would be to install a Modaco 2.2 ROM.

However, according to the instructions in this topic, I first need to install a recovery image. However, the link to the topic which is supposed to tell me how to do that is broken - it always takes me to the android.modaco.com home page.

Help!

What S/W version is running on your Desire at the moment? You've got 2 ways to get a custom recovery - Fake-Flash or unrEVOked

Fake-Flash is an update.zip you store on your SD card and use HBOOT to access it to flash a new ROM (this is what I used to use)

unrEVOked is a one-click method to rooting and it also permanently flashes the custom recovery so you don't need anything on your SD card (this is what I use now)

Guest Nikki Locke

Looks like the url in the 2.2 kitchen topic is the problem - it has an extra """ on the end.

OK, now I've found the right topic (r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support). It might be an idea to fix the links on the kitchen pages.

However, I'm stuck - I can't make my sdcard into a goldcard. It is an 8GB card, with a large FAT32 partition and a couple of others, from my other phone. I follow all the instructions, and check I can see the root directory, containing update.zip from the PC, but the card becomes unreadable when I get into recovery mode.

Guest Nikki Locke
What S/W version is running on your Desire at the moment? You've got 2 ways to get a custom recovery - Fake-Flash or unrEVOked

Fake-Flash is an update.zip you store on your SD card and use HBOOT to access it to flash a new ROM (this is what I used to use)

unrEVOked is a one-click method to rooting and it also permanently flashes the custom recovery so you don't need anything on your SD card (this is what I use now)

I haven't got that far in the instructions yet. I'm still following "r6 riskfreeroot - HTC Desire rooting guide - now with HBOOT 0.80 and OS to 1.21 support". Am I following the wrong ones?

HBOOT: 0.75.0000

Firmware version: 2.1-update1

Baseband version: 32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

Edited by Nikki Locke

Guest Nikki Locke
I'd follw this guide:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=768256

And get unrEVOked from this link:

http://downloads.unrevoked.com/recovery/3....ash_package.exe (this is the Windows version)

I don't understand - I haven't got Froyo, so how can I downgrade from it?

And your link says I have to have a working Goldcard, which I can't seem to do :-(

I got unrEVOked, and ran it. It said it was successful. Now, when I turn on the phone, I get the red circle on a black background, and the boot process stops. Help!!!!

If I power on with vol down, and run unrEVOked, it no longer connects to the phone.

If I try to go into Recovery mode, I get the red circle again.

Edited by Nikki Locke

Get the RUU that came with the phone and run it once in fastboot

And you can use that guide if you're not on FroYo - a bit of reading would've told you that

Edited by EddyOS

Guest Nikki Locke
Get the RUU that came with the phone and run it once in fastboot

And you can use that guide if you're not on FroYo - a bit of reading would've told you that

Thanks for your help - sorry to be so stressed out!

I have some questions:

Where do I get the RUU for the phone? I did not get any cd or other media with the phone.

Do I need to install the RUU before I can run the downgrade utility?

The downgrade says I have to have a gold card (the phone used to say T-Mobile as it booted up, so I guess it is branded). I followed the instructions, but when it had finished, the phone no longer recognised the card (it would still boot at that point). So I used the phone to format the card again. Will it still be a goldcard?

After I used revoke to flash the recovery image, I was able to navigate to the recovery menu, and move around it, but pressing Power just blanked the screen. Pressing power again turned it on (still on the recovery main menu). Is this relevant?

Guest Nikki Locke

OK, I started the phone in fastboot, hooked it up to my Windows 7 (64-bit) machine (bing-bong), and started win-down.bat. It said:

Waiting for device. Ensure ESB debugging is enabled.

* daemon not running. starting it now *

* daemon started successfully *

Then nothing.

I used the menus on the phone to switch between fastboot and bootloader. (bong-bing...bing-bong each time).

Still nothing.

I note the instructions in the downgrade topic say:

0. Install HTC Sync (driver required).

I don't have this. I have installed the windows 7 drivers for adb, then installed the hboot driver that came with unrevoked.

1. Extract the downloaded zip file fully (do not just click on the zip file).

Did that.

2. Enable USB debugging on your phone. Ensure 'ask me' is set under 'Connect to PC' setting with 'charge only'. Plug in your phone.

Can't do that - the phone won't boot.

If you have a UK T-Mobile Desire then this is the RUU you want...

http://shipped-roms.com/shipped/Bravo/

username:shipped

password:shipped

RUU_Bravo_TMO_UK_1.21.110.4_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_release_127570_signe

.exe

There are 2 ways to use it:

1. Connect the phone with HTC Sync and once connected run the RUU file, or;

2. Turn the phone on holding the back button, once on the FASTBOOT screen connect the USB and once it says FASTBOOT USB run the RUU

Edited by EddyOS

You don't do anything with adb, just get back to stock and then start again - assuming you're not already on a higher HBOOT than the stock T-Mobile ROM

The run unrEVOked again

Edited by EddyOS

Guest Nikki Locke

Thanks once again for your help and advice.

I am currently in the process of updating the ROM image.

Is it possible to update the phone with one of the Froyo images on the site?

If so, how can I find out which one is suitable for my UK phone?

I quite like the little I have seen so far of HTC Sense, but don't care about T-Mobile branding. My main desire is to be able to install all 40-odd of my regular applications (including the massive Co-Pilot SatNav). I don't think I actually need rooting, per se.

Guest Nikki Locke
Not without a Gold card, you're better off getting back to stock first and then starting again...

Thanks. The good news is the phone is now back to the ROM you suggested (I assume that's what you mean by stock), and boots. Hooray!!!! It's all down to your help.

I see that some of the images at shipped-roms are Froyo - but you are saying that I can't install any of these?

Guest Nikki Locke
You don't do anything with adb, just get back to stock and then start again - assuming you're not already on a higher HBOOT than the stock T-Mobile ROM

The run unrEVOked again

OK, I have just run unrEVOked again. It ran to completion. It says "Done!"

On the phone, I have ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.7

It has a menu - I used the vol up and down key to move the highlight to "backup and restore"

I pressed power to select - the screen went blank.

I waited 1 minute - still blank.

I pressed power again - the screen came back, on the main menu.

I also tried the other buttons - Home and Menu work exactly the same as Power.

What do I do now?

Guest Nikki Locke

Just a final note to say I have unbricked the phone, installed the correct recovery image, rooted it, and installed the latest Modaco ROM. :P

Entirely thanks to the extreme helpfulness of EddyOS - respect!

Nikki