Big Newbie in flashing liquid e....

Guest SycSyc

Hey guys, Sorry to ask some newbie questions, but I've been searching around and reading around(maybe not hard enuff?)

But i cant find any instructions on HOW TO EXACTLY flash the new leaked froyo rom.

I have malez recovery and my phone is rooted with UniversalAndroot, I attempted to boot my phone into recovery mode, recovery mode is what exactly? Recovery mode is displayed on the "DOS" window program on my computer or on the android phone, because when i booted my phone into recovery mode by holding the physical buttons, i couldnt turn my phone on anymore...but that was fixed with a battery pull... also how to i backup my files and stuff so when I do flash the 2.2 ROM i can restore everything back to original settings? Or is that even possible?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I dont mind reading, but I just cant find the EXACT instructions on how to backup, restore, flash the firmware, so Im a little hesistant, if anyone has the links I'd be more happy to read it. Thanks

Edited by SycSyc

Guest Dinmamma
Hey guys, Sorry to ask some newbie questions, but I've been searching around and reading around(maybe not hard enuff?)

But i cant find any instructions on HOW TO EXACTLY flash the new leaked froyo rom.

I have malez recovery and my phone is rooted with UniversalAndroot, I attempted to boot my phone into recovery mode, recovery mode is what exactly? Recovery mode is displayed on the "DOS" window program on my computer or on the android phone, because when i booted my phone into recovery mode by holding the physical buttons, i couldnt turn my phone on anymore...but that was fixed with a battery pull... also how to i backup my files and stuff so when I do flash the 2.2 ROM i can restore everything back to original settings? Or is that even possible?

Sorry for the newbie questions. I dont mind reading, but I just cant find the EXACT instructions on how to backup, restore, flash the firmware, so Im a little hesistant, if anyone has the links I'd be more happy to read it. Thanks

As for flashing the leaked foryo bin, you will have to use the program posted in this thread: http://android.modaco.com/content/acer-liq...ad-tool-for-a1/

Run it as administrator, navigate to the .bin file you downloaded (the leak) and flash it

This will wipe everything on your phone (contacts, messages, apps etc) so use some sort of backup first. I recommend Titanium Backup as it can backup app data aswell.

Flashing will also wipe recovery so you will have to install malez recovery again. Note that some functions in malez recovery are not working with this bin, the rooting function, nandroid backup/restore and probably some other things too.

Appearently Malez is working on a new version which will be compatible with the new .bin.

As for your question about what recovery is, i'm not exactly an expert but here goes :(

The custom recovery made by malez let's you modify the system from the android "Recovery partition" this allows for extended permissions etc, you can flash custom roms, root the system, install busybox, make complete backups of your system and much more. (As I said earlier, Malez Recovery 0.5.4 is not fully compatible with the leaked bin). I have probably forgot a lot of things, just remind me and I'll answer it as good as i can :P

If anyone can identify errors or have something to add please do so, I'm not god, i make mistakes :)

Oh, Its THAT SIMPLE?!?!

But i read somewhere about wiping my SD card data, booting in recovery mode, changing partition names?

I also read somewhere I am suppose to put something in the root folder on my SD card and enter into recovery mode to install ?

I guess this is a easier way?

Im also wondering if 3G will work after i flash my phone to new ROM? FYI im in Canada with Rogers if that makes any difference...

Thanks!

Guest grooltor
Oh, Its THAT SIMPLE?!?!

But i read somewhere about wiping my SD card data, booting in recovery mode, changing partition names?

I also read somewhere I am suppose to put something in the root folder on my SD card and enter into recovery mode to install ?

I guess this is a easier way?

Im also wondering if 3G will work after i flash my phone to new ROM? FYI im in Canada with Rogers if that makes any difference...

Thanks!

Putting a file in your SD and installing it via recovery: this is flashing a custom ROM.

Using Acer Tool with a .bin file on your PC: this is updating your ENTIRE phone, including firmware.

Those process are different, especially regarding the firmware part. Installing a custom ROM from your SD will usually replace your SYSTEM, DATA, CACHE and BOOT partition, but will NOT update your firmware. In some cases, custom ROMs do not wipe your DATA (and/or CACHE) partition, so you'll keep your settings (installed apps, configured accounts, sms and other stuff).

Flashing a new .bin will ALWAYS delete EVERYTHING is on your phone, so backing up the things you need could be a smart move (Titanium Backup seems the best tool for doing that).

ahhhhh.... I understand now.... interesting ok thanks.

But if i update my firmware will i still be able to use my 3G data connection??

Same question if I install custom ROM?

Guest grooltor
Most ROMs wipe everything on install. They usually say whether or not they do.

Sure, but they can't wipe radio. That's the point for our SycSyc. He's asking about his 3G connection, he's afraid he could break it (sorry but I dunno if the new radio works with your carrier, so I can't answer properly).