Swap issues

Guest Totyasrác

i had slowdowns at first with the older a2sd RC2, after i installed the final version things went smooothie :lol: Also have JIT enabled and its been 3 days now without any kind of complication.

Edited by flip360

Guest goce.nakov
i had slowdowns at first with the older a2sd RC2, after i installed the final version things went smooothie :lol: Also have JIT enabled and its been 3 days now without any kind of complication.

Hmm I'v just installed final version of Darktremor and the phone is stuck on android logo :)

How much time I need to wait?

Edited by goce.nakov

i have swappiness set to default (60) from the day you released the rom with 32Mb swap partition and had no reboots at all and no fc`s. Its funny how it behaves differently from phone to phone when they should be all the same piece of hardware, right?

I bet it has a lot to do with SD card speeds

I use a Class 4, no A2SD with a 64mb A2SD SWAP partition.

I recon those who have a bad experience are using Class 2 / 4 cards with A2SD enabled or the same as me.

I recon those who have a good experience are using a Class 6+ card

The thing is I don't want to waste the money buying a new SD card that I don't need on the off-chance that it will solve the sluggishness :lol:

Guest goce.nakov
until it builds the caches?

Seems the problem with the new version of A2SD is largeheap, at he moment I set a2sd largeheap, the phone reboots and stuck in android logo.

How you set yours, or it have default value?

Guest whackster
Seems the problem with the new version of A2SD is largeheap, at he moment I set a2sd largeheap, the phone reboots and stuck in android logo.

How you set yours, or it have default value?

Yeah, I had the same issue trying to set largeheap using the latest darktremor. Just keep it on default, and you can play with the lowmem options if you feel like it, but it runs with no issues for now.

With even further testing:

Users with Class 4 cards (Obviously Class 6) can use A2SD-SWAP and A2SD with the tweaks in The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide without any slowdowns

Though I wouldn't recommend it with a Class 2 Card or while using Swapper2

:lol:

Which values are modified by a2sd lowmem-moderate? The same settings which AutoKiller modifies?

Yeah they are the same settings.

The only difference is they are applied on start-up instead of being applied after boot by an app. Less lag in other words :lol:

Ok, the weekend has started, at least where I live. :lol:

Nandroid backup, followed Azurren's guide exactly up to the final reboot. Before rebooting, I wiped everything, installed TWeak (FLB1.6a) and Vanilla frameworks, then I rebooted. Smooth as silk! Didn't notice this boot taking longer than any other boot of a newly flashed OS. Without installing any more apps, it's is running very "snappily" (is that even a word?). I'll find out what happens after I load it up with all my apps and data.

Now, I'm curious about two things:

1. Will enabling cache2sd do anything "bad"? (I can't think of why it would.)

2. I'm not clear on a2sd lowmem-moderate yet. If I do this tweak, is it persistent, surviving reboots? (I assume not, but I'm not sure why.) How do I know if this is really important/critical?

Incidentally, I am using a Class 6 card.

Thanks for the guide, Azurren.

Edit: Oh, one more thing. What's with this? "SWAP starts to really lag your phone as the apps aren't killed-off at the correct time. Auto-killer can help cure this!" If "snappiness" is set lower (i.e. 15 as Fibblesan says), is this still an issue? How can this be avoided without installing a task killer?

Edited by twrock

Yeah they are the same settings.

The only difference is they are applied on start-up instead of being applied after boot by an app. Less lag in other words :lol:

And your recommendation - according to the Pulse owners guide - is not to modify the swappiness?

THX Rumcájsz !!!! :lol: :) :( :)

ok... i`ve only one problem for now, how i can save all apps installed? i'm using A2SD with 256 MB ext2

Nandroid backup.

Edit: Also, I should mention that AppMonster will copy all of apps to a backup (all non-protected apps). You can install them later, but they might not "register" with the Market, so you might not get update notifications.

But, if after installing a new ROM, the first time you start Market, all of your previous apps will show up under Downloads. If you go there first, you can install each app via the Market. I have found that if I don't reinstall something the first time, it won't show up in the Downloads list again, and I have to go looking for it.

Edited by twrock

Guest Poseidonhun
I was using swapper2 with swapfile 128Mb and swappinnes 60, then i was reading Azurren's post about the A2SD swap, so i give it a try.

Formating a linux-swap partition with gparted to 128Mb. The A2SD swap works fine. I am using Class4 8GB with FLB-MOD 1.5 and my Pulse is smooooth :lol:

Conclusion: I think swapper2 good as a2sd swap, but swapper2 using more RAM

I have to downgrage the swap partition, beacause when the swap size reach the 60-70MB the phone became slugissh, so i am testing 32MB with default swappines.

Guest rulerofkaos
I have to downgrage the swap partition, beacause when the swap size reach the 60-70MB the phone became slugissh, so i am testing 32MB with default swappines.

I can recommend 32 MB for swap partition and swappiness about 30 or less, but not the default 60.With 10 browser sites aren't cached enough for me. With 60 the phone lags and reboots when I toggle wifi.

Ok, the weekend has started, at least where I live. :lol:

Nandroid backup, followed Azurren's guide exactly up to the final reboot. Before rebooting, I wiped everything, installed TWeak (FLB1.6a) and Vanilla frameworks, then I rebooted. Smooth as silk! Didn't notice this boot taking longer than any other boot of a newly flashed OS. Without installing any more apps, it's is running very "snappily" (is that even a word?). I'll find out what happens after I load it up with all my apps and data.

Now, I'm curious about two things:

1. Will enabling cache2sd do anything "bad"? (I can't think of why it would.)

2. I'm not clear on a2sd lowmem-moderate yet. If I do this tweak, is it persistent, surviving reboots? (I assume not, but I'm not sure why.) How do I know if this is really important/critical?

Incidentally, I am using a Class 6 card.

Thanks for the guide, Azurren.

Edit: Oh, one more thing. What's with this? "SWAP starts to really lag your phone as the apps aren't killed-off at the correct time. Auto-killer can help cure this!" If "snappiness" is set lower (i.e. 15 as Fibblesan says), is this still an issue? How can this be avoided without installing a task killer?

I definitely disagree with this. Autokiller together with swap is a bad idea - instead it is better to increase swap size. (btw kernel lowmem killer feature has nothing to do with swappiness.) Swap itself doesnt make lagging the phone - swap AND lowmem-killer does. If swap is big enough, lowmem-killer will run very rarely- swap memory will be freed only when you exit or manually kill an application. So lots of not used memory pages will sit silently on the SD card, but this doesn't cause any problem. (sometimes the system will ban very old unused apps, but I dont know this mechanism).

Currently my swap partition is 256 megs and its actual usage is between 80 an 120 megs - and the phone doesn't lag for more than 2-3 secs, even I use a2sd and cache2sd, what is affordable, I guess.

I definitely disagree with this. Autokiller together with swap is a bad idea - instead it is better to increase swap size. (btw kernel lowmem killer feature has nothing to do with swappiness.) Swap itself doesnt make lagging the phone - swap AND lowmem-killer does. If swap is big enough, lowmem-killer will run very rarely- swap memory will be freed only when you exit or manually kill an application. So lots of not used memory pages will sit silently on the SD card, but this doesn't cause any problem. (sometimes the system will ban very old unused apps, but I dont know this mechanism).

Currently my swap partition is 256 megs and its actual usage is between 80 an 120 megs - and the phone doesn't lag for more than 2-3 secs, even I use a2sd and cache2sd, what is affordable, I guess.

What's your swapiness value? Which AutoKiller values do you use to deactivate it? Or do you mean the android default settings? What's your heap size?

Edited by Ellia

Nandroid backup.

Edit: Also, I should mention that AppMonster will copy all of apps to a backup (all non-protected apps). You can install them later, but they might not "register" with the Market, so you might not get update notifications.

But, if after installing a new ROM, the first time you start Market, all of your previous apps will show up under Downloads. If you go there first, you can install each app via the Market. I have found that if I don't reinstall something the first time, it won't show up in the Downloads list again, and I have to go looking for it.

Thx twrock, i'll try to wipe all and change my ext2 to ext3 for have more speed.

THX AGAIN :lol:

What's your swapiness value? Which AutoKiller values do you use to deactivate it? Or do you mean the android default settings? What's your heap size?

256 MB swap, 35 swappiness (but as the matter of fact, I tried different settings, no big difference), largeheap, JIT enabled (jit requires memory). I am thinking of trying jumboheap.

I run fancy widget, calendar widget, power control, advanced task killer, battery indicator, and usually opera, aep

reader, messages, market, mail, gmail and ThaiDial is in memory.

Edit: and kernel default lowmem settings.

Edited by gusthy

256 MB swap, 35 swappiness (but as the matter of fact, I tried different settings, no big difference), largeheap, JIT enabled (jit requires memory). I am thinking of trying jumboheap.

I run fancy widget, calendar widget, power control, advanced task killer, battery indicator, and usually opera, aep reader, messages, market, mail, gmail and ThaiDial is in memory.

Which Android version you are running? 2.1 or 2.2? I think you're using A2SD RC2 (or final?) and not swapper2?

Which Android version you are running? 2.1 or 2.2? I think you're using A2SD RC2 (or final?) and not swapper2?

2.2, Flbmod 2 alpha 3 without any modification - the a2sd is the one included in it.

plus gapps FRF91-2-mdpi.

A2SD really needs the swappiness set to 10 or 15, and not 60 (system default). Swappiness can be a number between 0 and 100. The higher the number the more system will swap. Because the system default is 60, and the very first boot sets up a load of caches, it slows our phones down horribly. Setting swappiness to 10 or 15 means that the system doesn't swap unless it absolutely needs to. In my eyes thats exactly how swap should be.

And another thing, A2SD swap, 60 swappiness and jit = random reboots. Set the swappiness to 15 and reboots have gone. Phone is stable.

I'll patch A2SD files for the next release of FLB 2. In the meantime you can do it yourself by editing starta2sd and launcha2sd files in /system/bin/ (Do this with A2SD 2.7.5 final standard).

You need to find the swapon command and add the swappiness between that and mkswap like this:

$bbcmd mkswap /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 | $bbcmd tee -a $a2sdlf;

$bbcmd echo 15 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness | $bbcmd tee -a $a2sdlf;

$bbcmd swapon /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 | $bbcmd tee -a $a2sdlf;

Save the files, chmod 777. Then reboot.

Feel free to experiment with the swappiness value.

Dare I ask a couple of questions about how to do this?

I downloaded the FLB 1.6a mod and navigated to those files (using Windows 7), then opened them with notepad to find that code above. So far so good. Three things, though:

1. Should I be editing and saving using notepad? I'm worried about formatting/file extensions messing everything up.

2. Should I be unzipping the rom, editing, then re-zipping or will windows sort it out for me?

3. What does 'Save the files, chmod 777' mean?

Any advice would be very welcome :lol: