Car charger not charging Streak

Guest vinokirk

Guest vinokirk

I bought a generic charger off ebay, supossedly meant to work with the Streak, which theoretically it does.

But rather than charging the phone it just seems to keep it at the level it was at when it was plugged in.

For example:

I plugged the Streak in before a two hour journey using Sat Nav on the phone, it was at 54%, when I got to my destination and unplugged the phone the battery was at 55%.

I was wondering if i could apply the 'shorting two pins' trick.

How excactly is this done? Could I just open the cable and say short the black+the blue wire for example?

Guest Stephen Hyde

maybe it could be that using gps etc on streak draws too much power to allow the car charger to charge it aswell, try runnign it with no gps etc turned on as a test

Guest Techneut

Shorting the two middle pins works on all the car chargers, but they have to be able to charge at least 1000 milliAmps!

Most chargers are designed to charge only 500 mA, and that is too low...

Guest hdbueller
Shorting the two middle pins works on all the car chargers, but they have to be able to charge at least 1000 milliAmps!

Most chargers are designed to charge only 500 mA, and that is too low...

Also, most usb car chargers do not work with the Streak....I tried 8 myself....before I got the one from Dell. Also, a 750Ma charger will charge it....but it will be a slow charge.

Guest DeathOfAllThings

Just go on ebay and search for a 1000ma charger, should do the trick for you and cost around 2-3 dollars. I bought 2 of these, works good on my streak. You can do the connecting the 2 middle pins trick, but you want to be careful, the streak will draw a full amp and most chargers that do not have the 2 middle pins connected are only rated for 500ma, which can result in melted components in your charger or worse.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-USB-Car-Adapter-Ch...057366032104197

Edited by DeathOfAllThings

Guest vinokirk

I have a 100ma charger off of the bay. So you just short the 2 centre pins on the cable, righto, ill give that a try.

As a permanant solution i will try cyanu's approach!

• 1 month later...
Guest adzman808

how dodgy is the connecting the middle pins route....

i mean if i may blow the fuse in the car or F up a cheap adaptor then "meh" but if it F up the streak, then this is not so good....

thanks

Guest fester61
Which car USB charger will work without any modifications, other than Dell's?

Go look for any car charger that provides a minimum output of 1000mA any reasonable mobile phone shop should carry them.

Guest adzman808

to anyone following this,

i've just tried a charger that (is listed as having) has 1000ma output & it doesn't charge my streak...

maybe it's faulty or more likely i should of followed the advice of the guy who posted the link above :rolleyes:

Cheers

Guest vinokirk
to anyone following this,

i've just tried a charger that (is listed as having) has 1000ma output & it doesn't charge my streak...

maybe it's faulty or more likely i should of followed the advice of the guy who posted the link above :rolleyes:

Cheers

You need to short the two middle pins. I also have one rated at 1000ma and it needs the two middle pins shorting to function properly.

Guest adzman808
You need to short the two middle pins. I also have one rated at 1000ma and it needs the two middle pins shorting to function properly.

cheers bud, i'll be doing this tonight

in my defence i did buy a 1000ma output as advised... but as you say i'll just bridge the middle pins

Guest vinokirk
in my defence i did buy a 1000ma output as advised... but as you say i'll just bridge the middle pins

Me too! I wired it all in behind my dash etc, only to find it doesnt charge the Streak, it only keeps it at what % it is displaying lol!

Me too! I wired it all in behind my dash etc, only to find it doesnt charge the Streak, it only keeps it at what % it is displaying lol!

Just like with cellphone batteries, not all mA are equal, especially when of Far East origin! :rolleyes:

Guest adzman808

middle pin bridging & all is sorted

for the guy asking about this... (further up the topic)

take apart charger

locate the 2 middle pins where the usb port is soildered to the pcb & bridge them together using a soilderin iron..

have fun :rolleyes:

Guest RSullivan

I just got a USB extension cable and spliced it to short the data cables. Works great and I can use it with multiple car/wall charging devices I had already purchased for other devices.

Guest adzman808
I just got a USB extension cable and spliced it to short the data cables. Works great and I can use it with multiple car/wall charging devices I had already purchased for other devices.

do you mean you effected the bridged pin method using usb data cable extender ratehr than shorting the pins on the car charged?

if so, then for my €0.02 it's probably easier to do it on the charger itself (most just pop apart & it's an easy soildering job)

That said you created a cable that'll work on many chargers (that have a usb port) so if that's a very sound idea :rolleyes:

Guest mark2881

I have the same problem, but on my motorbike i need to use a mini charger.

A MotorMonkey failed, rated 700ma. Do you think this Belkin will work?

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/1380...2%7Ccat:Mobile+

Thanks for any help, got to sort a.s.ap , need to run gps, sat nav, music and calls through bluetooth crash helmut.

I'm hoping 2.2 will sort bluetooth problems, but that'

s another story.