Just a pointer in the right direction please!

Guest Rednose01

Guest Rednose01

Hi All,

Just want to say what a big help this forum has been for me in the last couple of days.

I am not only a Smartphone noob, i am total mobile noob as ive just upgraded to my LG GT540, from a 7 year old Sagem MYX2, lol.

I Think i have figured out a few things myself like PC Suite IV (what a pain ) Bluetooth and WiFi and so on but i think i am now suffering from data overload, ( my brain, not the phone).

Looks like i will wait until the Android O.S. update to make any more changes, but is there a set of essential apps that i should be using, there are that many to choose from i cant even begin to start picking or even know how to install them yet.

Also what really freaked me out was i got the phone on PAYG with a £10 T Moblie sim, after setting the phone up i checked my credit, which had gone down to £9.40, i hadnt made a call.

Over the next couple of hours it went down by another 20p, i have turned of GPS my location, which seemed to give me tempature and weather updates, and it has not taken any more credit, at least i think that was the culprit but im not 100% sure about that.

Is there any thing else i should be looking out for?

Sorry for the long post, just so many questions i have, that you guys will no doubt put me striaght on.

Thanks a bunch.

Carl Rednose01..

Hi All,

Just want to say what a big help this forum has been for me in the last couple of days.

I am not only a Smartphone noob, i am total mobile noob as ive just upgraded to my LG GT540, from a 7 year old Sagem MYX2, lol.

I Think i have figured out a few things myself like PC Suite IV (what a pain ) Bluetooth and WiFi and so on but i think i am now suffering from data overload, ( my brain, not the phone).

Looks like i will wait until the Android O.S. update to make any more changes, but is there a set of essential apps that i should be using, there are that many to choose from i cant even begin to start picking or even know how to install them yet.

Also what really freaked me out was i got the phone on PAYG with a £10 T Moblie sim, after setting the phone up i checked my credit, which had gone down to £9.40, i hadnt made a call.

Over the next couple of hours it went down by another 20p, i have turned of GPS my location, which seemed to give me tempature and weather updates, and it has not taken any more credit, at least i think that was the culprit but im not 100% sure about that.

Is there any thing else i should be looking out for?

Sorry for the long post, just so many questions i have, that you guys will no doubt put me striaght on.

Thanks a bunch.

Carl Rednose01..

Turn off mobile network. Go to Settings> Wireless controls > Mobile network (Uncheck it) Should stop the charging.

Also go to Data Synchronization and turn off Auto-Sync and Background data. (Turn on Background data only when u are downloading apps from Andoird Market)

GPS dont charge you for money.

You download your Apps from Android Market, most of them are free.

Wow, thanks ilovelg.

Will try that now, but ive not set up my Google acount yet.

I will bear your advice in mind when i do.

Thanks Again.

Carl..

I would suggest you using Wi-Fi while downloading apps to youre phone. Operator can charge you for downloaded megabaites if you will use Mobile Network connection.