Which VOIP apps work best with Streak?

Guest zigzagindex

Guest zigzagindex

Hi all,

I tried CSipSimple and SipDroid with no luck. These VOIP apps are not stable and often block the streak. Can somebody kindly recommend one that really works please?

Guest Wee Thomas
Hi all,

I tried CSipSimple and SipDroid with no luck. These VOIP apps are not stable and often block the streak. Can somebody kindly recommend one that really works please?

Sipdroid is the best. When I have good 3G reception or good wifi, it works great. In poor 3G areas or bad wifi, I get dropped calls or bad lag or cutouts. . .but that's too be expected in those conditions.

Guest foxfire235

I use 3csx and sipdroid. They work okay on 2.1.

Sipdroid is the best. When I have good 3G reception or good wifi, it works great. In poor 3G areas or bad wifi, I get dropped calls or bad lag or cutouts. . .but that's too be expected in those conditions.

Guest mrmrmrmr

I use 3cxphone on an original (1.6) uk unlocked streak.

It works fine.

Also, IMSdroid is nice with video call and presence options.

But I need a client with g729 codec support.

Do you know any ?

Guest Wee Thomas
Thanks all. Let me retry sipdroid...its configuration is a bit complicated.

If you've having problems let me know. It takes some getting used to, but sipdroid is one of the most full featured out there with broadest support for SIP services.

I use 3cxphone on an original (1.6) uk unlocked streak.

It works fine.

Also, IMSdroid is nice with video call and presence options.

But I need a client with g729 codec support.

Do you know any ?

There are two issues with g729. The primary is issue with g729 is licensing. Essentially, licenses are sold per stream. So for VOIP, you need a minimum of 2, one for the outgoing and incoming voice streams. And licenses are bought from a third party - not the makers of sipdroid or any other app for voip calls. The secondary issue is implementation - Java is not the best platform to implement these codecs. It is best if they can be built natively. This causes issues with development and support of the app.

So, to use g729 what has to happen? Well, here are a couple ways using sipdroid as an example:

1. Sipdroid negotiates with the licensing body to resell g729 licenses. Then they either charge everyone a fee for the app (no longer free) and send the relevant monies back to the g729 license holder.

2. Sipdroid reworks their codec implementation to be plugin in nature. They have some codec API and allow you to download codec plug-ins for use. Then they negotiate w/ the g729 license holder resell a g729 plugin for sipdroid - that way sipdroid stays free and everyone who wants g729 can pay for it.

With #2, the plugin can be setup so that purchase monies go directly to the license holder, rather than having to work their way through sipdroid. #1 just seems like it would lead to a lot of headaches for all involved. Of course, the big thing is implementation. AFAIK, supported codecs in voice apps are the ones that are already built into the device/Android - so adding a new one is a non-trivial task and like i mentioned before, can generate a lot of issues with development and support given that you'd need to implement it natively rather than on top of Java.

Edited by Wee Thomas

Guest zigzagindex
If you've having problems let me know. It takes some getting used to, but sipdroid is one of the most full featured out there with broadest support for SIP services.

There are two issues with g729. The primary is issue with g729 is licensing. Essentially, licenses are sold per stream. So for VOIP, you need a minimum of 2, one for the outgoing and incoming voice streams. And licenses are bought from a third party - not the makers of sipdroid or any other app for voip calls. The secondary issue is implementation - Java is not the best platform to implement these codecs. It is best if they can be built natively. This causes issues with development and support of the app.

So, to use g729 what has to happen? Well, here are a couple ways using sipdroid as an example:

1. Sipdroid negotiates with the licensing body to resell g729 licenses. Then they either charge everyone a fee for the app (no longer free) and send the relevant monies back to the g729 license holder.

2. Sipdroid reworks their codec implementation to be plugin in nature. They have some codec API and allow you to download codec plug-ins for use. Then they negotiate w/ the g729 license holder resell a g729 plugin for sipdroid - that way sipdroid stays free and everyone who wants g729 can pay for it.

With #2, the plugin can be setup so that purchase monies go directly to the license holder, rather than having to work their way through sipdroid. #1 just seems like it would lead to a lot of headaches for all involved. Of course, the big thing is implementation. AFAIK, supported codecs in voice apps are the ones that are already built into the device/Android - so adding a new one is a non-trivial task and like i mentioned before, can generate a lot of issues with development and support given that you'd need to implement it natively rather than on top of Java.

Many thanks for your post! Sipdroid now works fine with calleasy settings (username+pin+sip server: sip.poivy.com). Appbrain.com suggests using free PBX on pbxes.org but I tried in vain. Please could you kindly advise how to configure using PBX. Thanks...

Guest Wee Thomas
Many thanks for your post! Sipdroid now works fine with calleasy settings (username+pin+sip server: sip.poivy.com). Appbrain.com suggests using free PBX on pbxes.org but I tried in vain. Please could you kindly advise how to configure using PBX. Thanks...

pbxes is useful if you have multiple SIP accounts or you need to use one account for incoming and another for outgoing or some other nonstandard config. If you can setup sipdroid to connect directly to your SIP provider, that is the best route to go.

That said, let's answer your question.

1. Create a pbxes account and login (they have free accounts, that should be fine to start).

2. Add an extension:

2a. Click on Extensions -> Add Extension -> Choose SIP.

2b. In “Extension Number” enter “100″. it creates "your name-100".

2c. In “Display Name” enter what you want.

2d. In “password” enter a password for this extension - you can make it different from your account password.

2e. Click “Submit”.

2f. Re-click the red bar at the top of the page.

3. Now goto “Trunks” -> choose “Add SIP Trunk”.

3a. In “Trunk Name” enter a name for the SIP service - make it simple, in your case "POIVY".

3b. In “Account – username” enter your poivy username.

3c. In “Account – password” enter your poivy password.

3d. In “Account – SIP Server” enter poivy server IP. “sip.poivy.com”.

Submit then reconfirm.

4. “Inbound Routing” -> choose “Add Incoming Route”.

4a. You must check boxes “Extension”. use “100″ which it is setup already.

4b. For trunk name, use the one you gave in step 3.

4c. Leave callerid and any other fields blank.

4d. Submit then reconfirm.

5. “Outbound Routing” -> choose “Add Route”.

5a. Set “Route Name” to whatever you want.

5b. In Trunk Sequence pull-down and select the one you setup “SIP/xxxx”

5c. Choose “Valid for all numbers”.

5d. Submit, then hit the red bar at the top to confirm.

6. Then in Sipdroid, for authorization username you enter the username from 2b: username-100

6a. For password, give the password that you setup for that extension in 2d.

6b. server is pbxes.org

6c. Leave domain and username blank so Sipdroid defaults them internally to what you already entered.

6d. Port 5060 and select UDP or TCP as protocol depending on your preference.

At this point, setup should be complete. In the other sipdroid settings, you can configure it so that when you place calls via the dialer, it always uses sipdroid or gives you the option to make the call via sipdroid - this way you don't have to pullup the keyboard to make a call within the sipdroid app, you can just place calls as usual.

Guest zigzagindex
pbxes is useful if you have multiple SIP accounts or you need to use one account for incoming and another for outgoing or some other nonstandard config. If you can setup sipdroid to connect directly to your SIP provider, that is the best route to go.

That said, let's answer your question.

1. Create a pbxes account and login (they have free accounts, that should be fine to start).

2. Add an extension:

2a. Click on Extensions -> Add Extension -> Choose SIP.

2b. In “Extension Number” enter “100″. it creates "your name-100".

2c. In “Display Name” enter what you want.

2d. In “password” enter a password for this extension - you can make it different from your account password.

2e. Click “Submit”.

2f. Re-click the red bar at the top of the page.

3. Now goto “Trunks” -> choose “Add SIP Trunk”.

3a. In “Trunk Name” enter a name for the SIP service - make it simple, in your case "POIVY".

3b. In “Account – username” enter your poivy username.

3c. In “Account – password” enter your poivy password.

3d. In “Account – SIP Server” enter poivy server IP. “sip.poivy.com”.

Submit then reconfirm.

4. “Inbound Routing” -> choose “Add Incoming Route”.

4a. You must check boxes “Extension”. use “100″ which it is setup already.

4b. For trunk name, use the one you gave in step 3.

4c. Leave callerid and any other fields blank.

4d. Submit then reconfirm.

5. “Outbound Routing” -> choose “Add Route”.

5a. Set “Route Name” to whatever you want.

5b. In Trunk Sequence pull-down and select the one you setup “SIP/xxxx”

5c. Choose “Valid for all numbers”.

5d. Submit, then hit the red bar at the top to confirm.

6. Then in Sipdroid, for authorization username you enter the username from 2b: username-100

6a. For password, give the password that you setup for that extension in 2d.

6b. server is pbxes.org

6c. Leave domain and username blank so Sipdroid defaults them internally to what you already entered.

6d. Port 5060 and select UDP or TCP as protocol depending on your preference.

At this point, setup should be complete. In the other sipdroid settings, you can configure it so that when you place calls via the dialer, it always uses sipdroid or gives you the option to make the call via sipdroid - this way you don't have to pullup the keyboard to make a call within the sipdroid app, you can just place calls as usual.

Great answer, many thanks my friend!

Guest zigzagindex

Hi Wee,

I got problems again, I tried the PBXES this evening and got the following call info (I use SmartVoip this time but calleasy did not work either).

Date Time Caller ID Number Destination IP Trunk Context App Duration Recording

2010-09-24 22:30:26 "rong" <100> 0044XXXXXX XXXXX SmartVoip from-internal-cont ResetCDR 00:00:05

2010-09-24 22:30:25 100 0044XXXXXX XXXXX ext-par2 Hangup (00:00:05)

I followed your advice, when I dial the number, eg. 0044123456789+, I got a message and the call simply dropped in 5 seconds. I can actually use smartvoip username + pin + server (sip.smartvoip.com) to configure sipdroid, what's the difference between the two approaches?

Thanks.

Edited by zigzagindex

• 5 weeks later...
Guest mrmrmrmr

There are some very nice commercial voip apps now:

- Bria from Counterpath (currently in beta , has g729 codec)

- Pico from Mailvision (working fine , also has g729 codec)

Also one very nice opensource app:

- imsDroid (this has also video features with h263/h264)

all tested by me on Dell Streak.

Guest zigzagindex
There are some very nice commercial voip apps now:

- Bria from Counterpath (currently in beta , has g729 codec)

- Pico from Mailvision (working fine , also has g729 codec)

Also one very nice opensource app:

- imsDroid (this has also video features with h263/h264)

all tested by me on Dell Streak.

Thanks, my friend, are you with 1.6 or 2.1+?

Guest Wee Thomas
Hi Wee,

I got problems again, I tried the PBXES this evening and got the following call info (I use SmartVoip this time but calleasy did not work either).

Date Time Caller ID Number Destination IP Trunk Context App Duration Recording

2010-09-24 22:30:26 "rong" <100> 0044XXXXXX XXXXX SmartVoip from-internal-cont ResetCDR 00:00:05

2010-09-24 22:30:25 100 0044XXXXXX XXXXX ext-par2 Hangup (00:00:05)

I followed your advice, when I dial the number, eg. 0044123456789+, I got a message and the call simply dropped in 5 seconds. I can actually use smartvoip username + pin + server (sip.smartvoip.com) to configure sipdroid, what's the difference between the two approaches?

Thanks.

PBXES allows you to configure multiple SIP trunks and routes and gives you a lot of flexibility in terms of configuring how calls get routed to the end user app (in this case sipdroid). Sipdroid also only supports G729 through pbxes.org. Some sip providers can't be configured through sipdroid, but you can route them through pbxes. And there are several other reasons why pbxes is a good method with which to use sipdroid.

That said, if you can configure sipdroid to use your SIP provider directly and you are getting better quality or response that way, I don't see why not.

I use Froyo (2.2)

But I began using imsdroid even before 2.1

i use the latest imsdroid, after registering the asterisk pbx anf making a call it drops the connection.

i use gsm codec.

what is the problem? i use Froyo.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mark ......

Also, believe it or not Nimbuzz works ok as a sip client also.

It's very easy to configure, but I am not sure whether it connects directly your your SIP provider or a proxy.

Guest zigzagindex
Skype works, and works very well, TBH I have never heard of the other programs, but I know on the 3 network all calls via Skype are completly free

dancemb, could you please tell me how to configure skype with sipdroid? thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest offthahorse

can anyone help me with setting up sipdroid to sipgate? i have sip gate fully set up and have completed a call to google voice and to my cell phone.

I want to be able to use my streak as a wifi only phone, with my google voice number. the way i understand it, if someone calls my google voice number, it will ring my sipgate number, which will in turn ring my streak if sipdroid is properly configured.

when i dial out using google voice app on streak, it will call my sipgate number (which has free incoming) then connect it to the number i dialed is that correct?

I have all my sipgate credentials and have entered them, but it keeps saying it timed out, im using the latest version of sipdroid afaik.3

also, when i first opened sipdroid it seemed fast and stable. i have entered some credentials now and it keeps force closing

Edited by offthahorse

I have started to use CSipSimple and it looks promising with a good choice of codecs including the legendary G.729

Download free from Market and info here

http://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/

http://code.google.com/p/csipsimple/downlo...mp;can=2&q=

http://androidforums.com/alpha-beta-testin...hone-alpha.html

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/11087-6...o-more-working/

I like the way it integrates with the Android interface. Basically, select the Contact number and decide whether it is a Sip call or a Mobile call. Or indeed, the other way round. i.e. decide it is a Sip call and then select the number.

It is early days yet for testing but so far it seems pretty good.