any ideas for best video conversion soft and settings

Guest shaneb1975

Guest shaneb1975

Hi I know that there are loads of video conversion programs out for iphone etc,but has any one here had real world experience converting films for Galaxy?

I have been streaming using allshare and films look amazing but thats no good when i'm on a train lol.

Im looking for something that will handle conversions from dvd or bluray etc

and want to know best settings for playback and quality.

Hope some of you can chip in with ideas and suggestions etc

Kindest regards

Shane

Hi I know that there are loads of video conversion programs out for iphone etc,but has any one here had real world experience converting films for Galaxy?

I have been streaming using allshare and films look amazing but thats no good when i'm on a train lol.

Im looking for something that will handle conversions from dvd or bluray etc

and want to know best settings for playback and quality.

Hope some of you can chip in with ideas and suggestions etc

Kindest regards

Shane

winff without a doubt it even has a built in android format

mifran

Guest AXIS of Reality

Well, the Galaxy S supports most common formats anyway (MP4, H264, WMV, AVI, DIVX, XVID, MKV, FLV, etc).

Handbrake is awesome though (available for both Windows and OSX), it's free and converts almost anything to any other file. Has a lot of control too so you can crop it how you want (something missing from too many converters...), queue up videos, save custom profiles, etc.

For videos I usually set it to:

800 x 480 (the Galaxy S's screen resolution, and crop off the sides of any super-wide videos)

H264, MP4

1500kbps video (H264 does really good quality at low bitrates, so 1500 looks about as good as 2500kbps regular mp4)

128kbps audio at 44000hz, stereo

2 pass encoding, turbo first pass

Good luck! But just try out your videos first without converting anyway, as I'm constantly surprised by what the Galaxy S can handle. Even 720p/1080p mkv files work, or flvs taken straight from youtube!

Guest DistortedLoop
Good luck! But just try out your videos first without converting anyway, as I'm constantly surprised by what the Galaxy S can handle. Even 720p/1080p mkv files work, or flvs taken straight from youtube!

Video playback format compatibility is one place where the Galaxy S really shines. Makes sense, too, at least in the US, where the phone is HEAVILY marketed as a movie playback device; the T-Mobile version, the Vibrant even comes with Avatar pre-installed on it. The humorous thing there is that the movie's 1.5gb, and installed on the included external sdcard which is only 2gb. The internal sdcard is 16 though, so unless you're a real media pig like I am, internal's probably more than most will use.