Problem syncing contacts with gmail

Guest honestguvnor

Guest honestguvnor

When I sync with gmail it deletes all the newly added contacts on the phone since the previous sync. That is, it resets the contacts on the phone to what is stored at google. This is not the expected (or reasonable?) behaviour. I am new to Android and do not know if this is bug, a strange setting I cannot find or something else. A brief search on the web has shown some others complaining about similar behaviour but posting to google has so far drawn no response.

Can others confirm that they do not see this behaviour with their phone?

Are people aware of a setting somewhere concerning the type of syncing with google?

Thanks for any pointers.

Guest honestguvnor

There seem to be a zillion people reporting this issue but few posting solutions that work. In this case it was to do with the recent name change from googlemail to gmail for those in the UK (and perhaps elsewhere?). It appears that the contacts system is not picking up the name change somewhere along the line. The solution is to go to the settings in your email account at google (i.e. the one on the web not on the phone) and change the name of the account back from gmail to googlemail.