Gmail update failing to install (with MoDaCo Froyo, r8)

Guest dbdkmezz

Guest dbdkmezz

As reported on the google mobile blog here:

http://googlemobile.blogspot.com/2010/09/u...-market_21.html

Google are now be updating the gmail app independently from releases of android.

However I can't get the new version to install, it downloads but then comes back saying "installation unsuccessful". By the way, I'm running r8 of the MoDaCo Froyo rom.

Anyone else having this problem? Any thoughts on how to fix it? (Do you think re-flashing with a version of r8 without gmail backed in will work?)

Thanks

Paul

Just removed Gmail.apk from /system/app/ via adb and installed via the market.

Worked perfectly :lol:

for those of us who aren't quite so versed in the ways of adb... how exactly do we do this?

for those of us who aren't quite so versed in the ways of adb... how exactly do we do this?

Reboot phone into recovery and connect to usb cable from PC.

adb shell mount /system

adb shell

pull /system/app/Gmail.apk C:\Gmail.apk

reboot

I used pull to keep the old .apk on the C drive as a backup.

Once phone is booted, install from Market.

You might need to remove the Gmail.odex file if there is one also, I run an odexed ROM but there wasn't one there for me. So there most likely won't be.

adb shell mount /system

adb shell

reboot

You might need to remove the Gmail.odex file if there is one also, I run an odexed ROM but there wasn't one there for me. So there most likely won't be.

Cool, will give it a go.

Thanks for the explain, I will try this tomorrow. Could you also explain how to find the name of the package, so I can try to do the same for google voice search, maps and streetview?

Remco

Thanks for the explain, I will try this tomorrow. Could you also explain how to find the name of the package, so I can try to do the same for google voice search, maps and streetview?

Remco

VoiceSearch.apk

GoogleQuickSearchBox.apk (VoiceSearch and the Google Search widget utilise each other, so need to update Google Search via market as well as voice search.

Maps.apk

Street.apk

Not sure if simply removing files via adb then installing from market will work for the ones you want, so I recommend pulling them to keep a backup or doing a Nandroid backup first.

Guest dbdkmezz

adb shell mount /system

adb shell

reboot

Thanks, that fixed it for me :lol:

I'm sure I'm just doing something wrong, but I pulled gmail.apk and I even deleted it, but every time I reboot it's back again :S I'm using r9 if that makes any difference.

Guest mrnetsick

I managed to remove Gmail and install the new Gmail 2.3 apk but now in the Gmail app all I see is "Your email will appear shortly"

Problem is it has been saying that for the last 2 hours so I feel something isn't working properly.

Any ideas anyone ?

Guest mrnetsick
I managed to remove Gmail and install the new Gmail 2.3 apk but now in the Gmail app all I see is "Your email will appear shortly"

Problem is it has been saying that for the last 2 hours so I feel something isn't working properly.

Any ideas anyone ?

FYI: I managed to sort out the problem by first using MyBackup to backup apps/data and then doing a factory reset from the recovery console and then booting back into phone. On reboot, Gmail app wasn't installed anymore so I re-installed it from Market and then restored my data from MyBackup

Any ideas anyone ?

I had that also, just remove then add your gmail accounts in settings/accounts&sync

Guest lukemfross

Same problem on r8, I try every variation of the commands in adb but it either cannot find directory or it says directory not empty or pull not found. Any suggestions?

Guest M Brouns

Also first pushed Paul's Gmail.apk to /system/app but kept getting update notifications in Market.

Finally removed it from /system/app then installed it from market and now it worked.

My gut feel says that updates will work from now as the apk is not in the /system/app folder anymore.

What do you guys think?

(btw: is this some trick Google pulls on us rooters?)

Guest headcleaner
My gut feel says that updates will work from now as the apk is not in the /system/app folder anymore.

What do you guys think?

yes, updates will work from now on.

(btw: is this some trick Google pulls on us rooters?)

nope, it has to do with Paul placing the .apk in /system to save space, I believe.