I just picked up my San Francisco! Findings as I go in here...

Guest PaulOBrien

Perfect candidate for an Xmas present for the GF. She's got one of those Nokia-comes-with-music phones and quite rightly hates it!

Problem is she's on Virgin, reckon you can get rid of the SIMlock by Xmas Paul? :lol:

There's a good few 99p SIM unlocks on eBay... I wonder if they can do the Blade?

I tried the codes from the zte-unlock.py, but they don't seem to work. :)

P

More solid then the Pulse? That's impresive, my Pulse has suffered a fair battering, and still works as it should :lol:

Would you say that there is a big enough leap to justify upgrading from the Pulse? 2.2 is very snappy!

HVGA -> WVGA OLED is a fairly decent upgrade.

P

Guest Frankish

Reckon it's possible to overclock then with the kernel source available? I wonder what you could push it to. Great info so far Paul keep it coming please. Can we install any sort of "stock" rom on this to remove Orange crap?

Reckon it's possible to overclock then with the kernel source available? I wonder what you could push it to. Great info so far Paul keep it coming please. Can we install any sort of "stock" rom on this to remove Orange crap?

Just dumping the recovery and boot images now. I'll send them to Koush and hopefully he'll be able to rustle something up!

P

If we can get Clockworkmod Recovery installed on this then definitely :lol:

Just dumping the recovery and boot images now. I'll send them to Koush and hopefully he'll be able to rustle something up!

P

That reminds me.. the ZTE Racer guys dumped the images and for some reason the system image can't be unyaffed. The boot and recovery images work ok though..

fib....develop FLB for this and I'll buy it :lol:

(And donate more of course :) )

I have every intention of doing so and also working to get Froyo onto this. Just need the money to buy one first. Out of work :(

So is this recommended for someone who cant quite stretch to a Desire on contract? I have a friend who wants a 'decent modern phone' but isnt keen on 24months contracts and doesnt want to pay more than £25 a month.

Does it have access to the full Android market?

Ok

this is just getting more and more tempting by the minute!

Im due for an upgrade and im planning on getting the Desire HD and selling the Nexus, with the cash i think i might buy one of these as a play phone!

Guest willdashwood
Just need the money to buy one first. Out of work :lol:

How can a man of your talents be out of work?! Preposterous. I think I'll be swapping my Pulse for this if smartsim unlocker works so I can use it on o2. I don't support you can test that Paul?

So is this recommended for someone who cant quite stretch to a Desire on contract? I have a friend who wants a 'decent modern phone' but isnt keen on 24months contracts and doesnt want to pay more than £25 a month.

Does it have access to the full Android market?

Definitely. it's easily the best PAYG Android phone available and even beats the unreleased IDEOS.

It's pretty much standard Android 2.1 apart from a few Orange customisations. The full Market is available but using the ZTE fingerprint so if you change this to another device then you'll unlock even more apps.

Guest varelasaraiva

I've been thinking about upgrading from the Pulse for a while and I was thinking about the HTC Hero PAYG from 3 for £150. Is it worthwhile paying extra £50 for the Hero in comparison to the Blade or the WVGA AMOLED screen make the Blade a better experience? The Hero should have some life left as it supported by CyanogenMod but this early kernel source release makes Blade's future look rather promising.