23/Sep: Kernel Source

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest David Horvath

I was just thinking about this. How awesome would it be to work together with the hardware manufacturer. Open source community hand by hand with the hardware supplier. The only thing what we would need for exchange (because its obvious the work what the MODACO guys are doing costs heavy money) is the driver sources as well. We would take care about the roms, ZTE and Orange would take care about manufacturing and deploying. Cool. Phone development 2.0.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Yes, ask for the UK Sanfransico 2.1 kernel source

The open source declaration can be found in any of those zips, it's in the file COPYING, a small part is quoted below....

"For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether

gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that

you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the

source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their

rights."

Ok : I will ask tomorrow (Monday) and see if the ROM dude will pass on a request for the UK Sanfransico 2.1 kernel source.

Will get back to you when I get a response.

Guest hillmie87
Ok : I will ask tomorrow (Monday) and see if the ROM dude will pass on a request for the UK Sanfransico 2.1 kernel source.

Will get back to you when I get a response.

Good luck man! You're awesome. Hope they'll give you the kernel source. :)

I wonder if we'll get access to more ram if we got the .32 kernel running

I'm not sure why we would get more RAM, but we could enable swap with any kernel source.

Guest StevenHarperUK

Ok : Question asked, emails sent he will send it onto our direct link with ZTE, and the goole expert they have been assigned

I spent some time (in person after the email) explaining the benefits to ZTE (and our customers) if we get things like the HW acceleration and other "fixes" back into the source.

It may take a few days to get sorted.

Ok : Question asked, emails sent he will send it onto our direct link with ZTE, and the goole expert they have been assigned

I spent some time (in person after the email) explaining the benefits to ZTE (and our customers) if we get things like the HW acceleration and other "fixes" back into the source.

It may take a few days to get sorted.

Excellent, though TBH I think Orange/ZTE are unlikely to be interested in the Homebrew scene feeding changes back into the official software, but they should be interested in living upto their obligations under the license.

Also interesting that they are assigned a google expert, that suggests it might be worth contacting Google re the license if we don't get anywhere with Orange/ZTE - partners are required to submit their license agreement to [email protected] so that would be the address to use if we get no joy.

Edited by rjm2k

Guest vl4d1m1r

As stated earlier, ZTE are legally required to distribute the source code for the .32 modified kernel as the ROM is already in the wild. So, as soon as someone can pressure them we will likely see useful results.

Guest kallt_kaffe

I'm fed up and disappointed with Huawei for not releasing kernel sources for phones they sell and I decided it was propably time to replace my Huawei with a ZTE Blade. After all I know I read they released the kernel source for it... Luckily I found this thread before getting an overpriced one of eBay (I'm in Sweden) realizing ZTE is just as bad as Huawei...

Tweaking the kernel is half the fun with an Android phone. The other half is tweaking Android itself... This is just so depressing...

Guest Evil Disco Guy

So I sent an email to the PAYG contact on the Help & Support section of the Orange website the other day and just now, after checking my messages, realised that they've contacted me regarding further info. I had mentioned that I was an Android developer (lie, I can't code to save my life) and was interesting in looking at the source code under the GPL license. I also mentioned that ZTE had released code but that it didn't seem to be relevant to our device. Sadly the Data Team department is closed now so I'm going to ring back tomorrow.

They did say however that it was something that they were already looking into. So that's positive, I guess.

Guest neologan

I've emailed ZTE too, I'm at stage two of emails where its now being sent to the relevant department instead of just support. I don't think anything will come of it, but I'll be wording it to get attention, so let's hope.

Guest Tonethefone
hope there is progress soon. ZTE clearly don't have a clue how much more buzz could be generated here.

I've had a message to say that the ZTE guys in charge of handset PR are now well aware of this thread and are looking to help out. In the meantime I still can't reboot my ZTE Racer. It starts up in an infinite loop.

Guest blauwal26
my ZTE Racer. It starts up in an infinite loop.

Might be the nascar edition? Sorry.

Anyways, I really hope we get to see some piece of Source soon that actually compiles, imagine all the possibilities!

I've had a message to say that the ZTE guys in charge of handset PR are now well aware of this thread and are looking to help out. In the meantime I still can't reboot my ZTE Racer. It starts up in an infinite loop.

What did you do to it?

Maybe it sounds stupid, but in the old day with Pulse (not that old...), removing the sd card before booting the phone might help?

Guest jdtanner
So did anybody manage to get a reply regarding the kernel source?

Nothing from ZTE (via a direct email) and nothing from ConorfromOrange (via Twitter)...so in a word...no :)

John

Guest StevenHarperUK
Nothing from ZTE (via a direct email) and nothing from ConorfromOrange (via Twitter)...so in a word...no :)

John

Still waiting from the ZTE Guys and there appointed Google chap - I will chase on monday at work