The Official "I'm not leaving the Pulse" thread

Guest Simon O

Guest Richard_Arkless

I wont be leaving my pulse either, not for another extra year anyway

My sister however may be getting the zte blade/orange san Francisco and ill probably have a lot of chances to work on that as im always the guy who installs various tweaks on phones to improve the experience or speed

Guest Trebor Rude
I heard the SanFran has no dpad or trackball. :lol:

Seriously, how are you supposed to edit text with your fat fingers?

I'd like to know that as well... I use the Pulse's trackball all the time for selecting text right down to character. It seems like it would be difficult to get it right without that bit of hardware. So far, this is the only downside to the SF that I can see.

Guest Simon O
I'd like to know that as well... I use the Pulse's trackball all the time for selecting text right down to character. It seems like it would be difficult to get it right without that bit of hardware. So far, this is the only downside to the SF that I can see.

You have to use the screen and press where you want the cursor. Bit annoying.

Can't believe it's so quiet on the forum now.. did so many people buy the blade and leave for good??

Whats so good about the blade?

We dont have the SMS error, We have swap, So not exactly like we cant multi-task.

I have like 30 Apps installed, My phone is still speedy.

My battery is killed though, need a new one ;) ( Ebay it is :) )

Pulse FTW!

Guest Schwertfish
Can't believe it's so quiet on the forum now.. did so many people buy the blade and leave for good??

I'm still here...partly on account of the Blade not being available in Germany and me being broke anyway, but mainly because with FLB 1.7 I'm really starting to like my Pulse. Of course being locked into a 2-year contract is its own factor :)

I just don't post that often ;)

Guest ogiogi

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! Did i break the silence :)

We are mourning because u find the Blade more interesting than the Pulse. ;)

And there aren't much new users for the Pulse, so not that big n00bs (like myself) who don't know where the search button/link is... :)

Guest igor_anta
We are mourning because u find the Blade more interesting than the Pulse. :P

And there aren't much new users for the Pulse, so not that big n00bs (like myself) who don't know where the search button/link is... ;)

Playing Angry Birds and all on that hi-res screen :) But it seems that we'll have a new wave of noobs on this forums: http://androidandme.com/2010/10/phones/cri...-huawei-ascend/

Who knew that they could still market this as a new phone :(

Still here and still happy with FLB :)

Guest thisweb

I would rather have an old windows mobile phone eg SPV than a phone without a pad or cursor buttons of somesort. Editing text messages and emails is the whole point of a smartphone! This is the most important component, no good having big screen and fast processor if you can't actually use it. I've never been able to do it using fingers without several attempts, especially on a 3.5 screen. What an odd thing to leave off the phone. Perhaps they have realised this and thats why they are selling them off cheap....i'm totally put off this phone now. Shame.

Guest holybear

I'll probably keep my Pulse indefinitely, but then I may be one of the odd ones out: I bought the Pulse because I wanted something to play with, not because I needed a new phone.

I already owned an HD2 and a TP2 on WinMo, which were and are my primary phones.

The Pulse was my first playfulness with Android; since learning a lot here I've kept the game going by installing full android on my HD2 and buying a dirt cheap TyTN II and NAND-flashing Android onto it.

It's mostly for fun, but it's a keeper exactly because of that.

And it's not like I'd make much money selling it anyway.

Guest Simon O
I would rather have an old windows mobile phone eg SPV than a phone without a pad or cursor buttons of somesort. Editing text messages and emails is the whole point of a smartphone! This is the most important component, no good having big screen and fast processor if you can't actually use it. I've never been able to do it using fingers without several attempts, especially on a 3.5 screen. What an odd thing to leave off the phone. Perhaps they have realised this and thats why they are selling them off cheap....i'm totally put off this phone now. Shame.

A lot of Android devices are coming out without trackballs now. And the iPhone doesn't have one and is easy to edit text. I've not had any problems now I'm used to it on my blade.

Guest thisweb

I hate that no android phone on the market today is as visually fluid and snappy as the iphone. Not that that makes the iphone a better platform, it doesn't, but it really grates on that issue. Hope google can sort this one out.

Guest Richard_Arkless
I hate that no android phone on the market today is as visually fluid and snappy as the iphone. Not that that makes the iphone a better platform, it doesn't, but it really grates on that issue. Hope google can sort this one out.

It is because ios has been heavily optimized for its hardware and because they make the hardware its easier for them as there is not that many iphones/ipod touches while its harder for google as they cant optimize for all hardware because there is just too many android phones with different hardware, plus the fact that there is no doubt that android is far superior to the iphone so naturally it would be slower on the same hardware

Edited by Richard_Arkless

It is because ios has been heavily optimized for its hardware and because they make the hardware its easier for them as there is not that many iphones/ipod touches while its harder for google as they cant optimize for all hardware because there is just too many android phones with different hardware, plus the fact that there is no doubt that android is far superior to the iphone so naturally it would be slower on the same hardware

Well, there are several technical reasons (ie reasons other than hearsay and opinions). Firstly, iPhone apps are usually written in Objective-C - compiled and executed as native code. Java is mostly interpreted - it's more compatible between platforms (for example, a Windows jar will probably work on a Linux computer) but there is a performance hit - Just-In-Time compiling (in Android officially since 2.2) brings a significant performance boost but is still not perfect. With native code, Android phones tend to be much faster (look at the Desire browser w/2.2 vs the iPhone 4) - but the interpretative nature of java does make it slower (the gap is decreasing all the time).

It's easily possible for Google to optimize for all hardware. Sure, it's more difficult than with the iPhone, but there are platforms of phones - for example all the high-end phones in the last year have used the Cortex-A8 core - lower end ones tend to use 528MHz Qualcomms - there aren't very many things that have to be optimized for. Also, whilst anyone can make an Android phone, Google has to approve every phone that needs the market - so has a step in the development. For Google, this means access to Android phones for optimization far before we see them.

In my mind, I massively doubt the idea that Android is far superior to iOS - in my mind technical superiority (which may or may not be the case) is secondary to actual usability - my iPhone 4 is massively snappy and is a joy to use, totally unlike the Android phones I've used.

Guest aldaweb

Since buying the pulse as a cheap foray into the Android world I'm now dual booting WM and Android on my HD2 but still prefer a hardware keyboard for mobile email hence a BB 9700 on T-mo 6 month BB for £20 but will still hang on to the pulse and continue trying newer builds as long as the devs are producing them.

Still enjoying my Pulse with FLB :) I generally keep my phones for a few years, obviously smartphones have a high rate of change at this point but wouldn't replace my Pulse til New Year at the earliest. Works ok as a phone for me, occasional dropped call but dependable enough now. SMSs are ok. Loving it for the boris-bike map, streaming BBC radio, reading news on the train etc.

Guest DanWilson
Since buying the pulse as a cheap foray into the Android world I'm now dual booting WM and Android on my HD2 but still prefer a hardware keyboard for mobile email hence a BB 9700 on T-mo 6 month BB for £20 but will still hang on to the pulse and continue trying newer builds as long as the devs are producing them.

You take two phones around with you at all times? :)

Guest thisweb
Well, there are several technical reasons (ie reasons other than hearsay and opinions). Firstly, iPhone apps are usually written in Objective-C - compiled and executed as native code. Java is mostly interpreted - it's more compatible between platforms (for example, a Windows jar will probably work on a Linux computer) but there is a performance hit - Just-In-Time compiling (in Android officially since 2.2) brings a significant performance boost but is still not perfect. With native code, Android phones tend to be much faster (look at the Desire browser w/2.2 vs the iPhone 4) - but the interpretative nature of java does make it slower (the gap is decreasing all the time).

It's easily possible for Google to optimize for all hardware. Sure, it's more difficult than with the iPhone, but there are platforms of phones - for example all the high-end phones in the last year have used the Cortex-A8 core - lower end ones tend to use 528MHz Qualcomms - there aren't very many things that have to be optimized for. Also, whilst anyone can make an Android phone, Google has to approve every phone that needs the market - so has a step in the development. For Google, this means access to Android phones for optimization far before we see them.

In my mind, I massively doubt the idea that Android is far superior to iOS - in my mind technical superiority (which may or may not be the case) is secondary to actual usability - my iPhone 4 is massively snappy and is a joy to use, totally unlike the Android phones I've used.

Well I think you are on to something here but I am just talking about one simple issue and thats the graphics display. Its a universal thing swiping the screen from left to tight up and down. How hard can it be to code to make that one thing at least on high end 1ghz processors, even with Java interereted. I think apple usability wins hands down, but their lack of detailed functionality and pathetic corporate restrictions is a turn off.

Guest thisweb

Even if this were true, there isn't a single phone that is smooth as even the first iphone, not even the latest desireHD, the processor should more than be able to handle it. This philosophy also doesn't seem to be a problem for other OSs like linux or even windows which runs well on massively different systems, yes some systems work slower than others but at least some people get a zippy OS if they can invest in high end hardware. Incedently latust Ubuntu Linux runs fast as hell on my old 1ghz AMD processor and ancient unheard of brand graphics card. It doesn't strike me as a hardware issue but a poorly designed android issue google should have adresed from the outset, at least after 1.5 was released.

Edited by thisweb