Where to buy the Orange San Francisco online (Grey / White)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Svend Hansen

Orange are now selling it for crazy £20 with just £10 top up!! ... It's out of stock at the moment, though...

I got mine a few weeks ago and am really happy with it. Even if I paid £99 + £20 top up that was still a very good price :) ... especially after having sold my year-old hero on ebay for £121 ;)

Edited by Svend Hansen

Guest dustofnations
Orange are now selling it for crazy £20 with just £10 top up!! ... It's out of stock at the moment, though...

I got mine a few weeks ago and am really happy with it. Even if I paid £99 + £20 top up that was still a very good price :) ... especially after having sold my year-old hero on ebay for £121 ;)

From where exactly? In an outlet? £20 seems a pretty crazy price, wonder why they would sell it for that amount.

Guest gambieter
Just wondering, does the SF from Argos come with an orange sim?

Yes. Just helped someone who said he may have had the last 2 from the Norwich area, and they came with an Orange SIM card.

Guest Len Ash
Yes. Just helped someone who said he may have had the last 2 from the Norwich area, and they came with an Orange SIM card.

OSF back in stock @ Orange online... Argos have shedloads too... Greys and Whites

Noted that EBay prices down... except the misguided souls trying to push Froyo alphas at £180 BIN....

Guest dustofnations

They are indeed back in stock under PAYG (grey and white). Phone them for the best deal (I am a long time PAYG customer and got 20 off + 10 top-up + "present box"), the operator I spoke with was very genial and helpful.

I went for the grey in the hopes I might get an OLED screen, but we shall see. Time for some rooting soon, I feel ;-).

Cheers to all of the Modaco staff and regulars for their helpful posts on the San Fran

Edited by dustofnations

Guest Len Ash
They are indeed back in stock under PAYG (grey and white). Phone them for the best deal (I am a long time PAYG customer and got 20 off + 10 top-up + "present box"), the operator I spoke with was very genial and helpful.

I went for the grey in the hopes I might get an OLED screen, but we shall see. Time for some rooting soon, I feel ;-).

Cheers to all of the Modaco staff and regulars for their helpful posts on the San Fran

The Argos and Orange grey versions are all TFT now.

Guest dustofnations
The Argos and Orange grey versions are all TFT now.

Mine arrived today, B08 and seemingly a TFT - screen is very difficult to read in bright light (but can't complain given the price, just unfortunate I didn't get on early enough to hook an OLED model ;-))

Edit:

I wonder if other TFT users experience this, you can see your own reflection fairly clearly in the screen even under ambient light conditions.

Edited by dustofnations

Guest caballeropl

Bought mine (grey) 3 days ago @ Argos in store. Mine's a TFT and I believe they don't have OLEDs any more but to be fair I don't know what the fuss is all about. The LCD just looks gorgeous so I'd definately recommend it. Thank's to modaco I got it unlocked, debranded and rooted, installed overclocking app on it and after 16 hours on 2G with a few texts and a bit of wifi I'm still on 93% of battery which is quite impressive.

Edited by caballeropl

Guest dustofnations
Bought mine (grey) 3 days ago @ Argos in store. Mine's a TFT and I believe they don't have OLEDs any more but to be fair I don't know what the fuss is all about. The LCD just looks gorgeous so I'd definately recommend it. Thank's to modaco I got it unlocked, debranded and rooted, installed overclocking app on it and after 16 hours on 2G with a few texts and a bit of wifi I'm still on 93% of battery which is quite impressive.

Have you manually turned up the brightness or left on auto?

Guest caballeropl
Have you manually turned up the brightness or left on auto?

At first I left it on auto, but the constant change in brightness was just annoying, so I changed it manually down like to 30% or so. Also Some widgets on the home screen were causing cpu to jump up to 100% (like Fancy widget) so I got rid of all the stuff that I do not really need and underclocked it when the screen is off and the battery life improved big times. Fom 24% of battery usage during the night it went down to 1%.

Edited by caballeropl

Guest Len Ash
At first I left it on auto, but the constant change in brightness was just annoying, so I changed it manually down like to 30% or so. Also Some widgets on the home screen were causing cpu to jump up to 100% (like Fancy widget) so I got rid of all the stuff that I do not really need and underclocked it when the screen is off and the battery life improved big times. Fom 24% of battery usage during the night it went down to 1%.

Which ROM?

Guest caballeropl
Which ROM?

sebastian404's r7

19 hrs. so far. For the past 3 hours 10 txt msgs, 1/2h browsing market on wifi and testing apps 88% left. Looking really good.

Edited by caballeropl

Guest Len Ash
sebastian404's r7

19 hrs. so far. For the past 3 hours 10 txt msgs, 1/2h browsing market on wifi and testing apps 88% left. Looking really good.

Thanks for that - I'm not having much luck with the Freekers Modded BladeVillain ROM - poor battery life and I fail to get SMS and EMail sometimes unless I reboot :-(

What about WiFi reconnection after sleep? Have you managed to try this in anger? I have no real problems at the moment with the above... apart from it taking ages to renegotiate with ANY router... (about 1 minute from sleep)

Edited by Len Ash

Guest caballeropl
I fail to get SMS and EMail sometimes unless I reboot :-(

Maybe you're killing the processes with task manager. I failed to recieve messages yesterday until I realised that I was actually switching them off with task killer. You have to add it to ignore list.

What about WiFi reconnection after sleep? Have you managed to try this in anger? I have no real problems at the moment with the above... apart from it taking ages to renegotiate with ANY router... (about 1 minute from sleep)

No, no problem at all. It takes me literally 5 seconds to reconnect to my router.

Guest Len Ash
Maybe you're killing the processes with task manager. I failed to recieve messages yesterday until I realised that I was actually switching them off with task killer. You have to add it to ignore list.

No, no problem at all. It takes me literally 5 seconds to reconnect to my router.

Task Killer not installed...

Just loaded R7.... setting up now.... we'll see what's what!

Cheers...!

Oops - no EMail app on this build...

Edited by Len Ash

Guest dustofnations

Unfortunately I seem to have a few dead pixels (or stuck on grey). Any other recent San Fran owners had dead pixels or am I typically unlucky?

Trying to find Orange's policy on it but standard practice is that you need a fair number of dark or dead pixels before they consider replacement.

I have a TFT screen although I am not sure whether they are more prone or not, probably varies by manufacturer, model and batch etc?

Edited by dustofnations

i'm from italy, is there any way i can buy the orange san francisco? thanks!

on ebay all prices are 130£+ 20£ shipping cost..

Edited by Ficus

Guest caballeropl
i'm from italy, is there any way i can buy the orange san francisco? thanks!

on ebay all prices are 130£+ 20£ shipping cost..

Hi. I just looked up play.com and they have the white versions in stock already. Ther're £99.99 and I believe the postage to Italy is still free (7-10 days).

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/1745...urlrefer=search

Hi. I just looked up play.com and they have the white versions in stock already. Ther're £99.99 and I believe the postage to Italy is still free (7-10 days).

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/1745...urlrefer=search

unfortunately, when i try to buy the phone, play.com tells me to change the address, as "Mobile content can only be purchased if you have a UK credit/debit card billing address." :(

It's been said that Play.com doesn't ship phones outside UK.

so it seems. is there any other workaround?

Edited by Ficus

Guest dadashi

are you implying the TFT screen needs less battery power than OLED...?