Another car charger that works... sorta

Guest XsCode

Guest Dogmann55

Hi XsCode

Maybe I'm missing something but why would anyone want to buy this one and have to solder any pins when you can get this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

that has been confirmed to work with the Streak by users for £2.95 delivered which is at least £10 cheaper and i have bought many items from that seller so can vouch for them being a good seller of quality products.

Marc

Guest Techneut

Both items are charging only 500 milliAmperes, while the Streak needs at least 1000 milliAmps or more!

Therefore, charging with one of them while using your Streak will take hours...

Guest Dogmann55

Hi Techneut,

Very good point i was only going by what another Streak user had reported as working but maybe he was charging it without using the GPS and Navigation any way have found two from this seller one with a double USB port that outputs 700aMh and this one that does output 1000aMh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000mAh-CAR-CHARGER-...=item2a0a2c5c32

But obviously i have messaged them as previously they sold it for £4.95 from looking at the previous sales history and some how I don't think they could really be £88.95 hopefully will get an answer and either an edited or re listed item from them soon.

Marc

Guest andycqos
Hi Techneut,

Very good point i was only going by what another Streak user had reported as working but maybe he was charging it without using the GPS and Navigation any way have found two from this seller one with a double USB port that outputs 700aMh and this one that does output 1000aMh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000mAh-CAR-CHARGER-...=item2a0a2c5c32

But obviously i have messaged them as previously they sold it for £4.95 from looking at the previous sales history and some how I don't think they could really be £88.95 hopefully will get an answer and either an edited or re listed item from them soon.

Marc

The same person is selling a 100mah one for £4.95

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000mAh-CAR-CHARGER-...=item27b4926469

Tagges as for the Galaxy, but its the same charger as the other link

Guest Dogmann55

Hi andycqos

Well that does make sense i thought the £88.95 price was very obviously wrong don't know why i didn't think to look under other devices for the same item nice find think I'll order one later today then.

Marc

Hi Marc,

I can't use ones like this due to the location of the cigarette lighter socket... directly in front of my gearstick! if i used the one you suggested I couldn't put my car into 3rd gear :/

Besides, this was one I had from my Iphone... also, it charges my Streak from red to full in about 2 hours with GPS running (just drove across the uk while using navigation)

Regards

Hi XsCode

Maybe I'm missing something but why would anyone want to buy this one and have to solder any pins when you can get this one

that has been confirmed to work with the Streak by users for £2.95 delivered which is at least £10 cheaper and i have bought many items from that seller so can vouch for them being a good seller of quality products.

Marc

Hi XsCode

Marc

Yeh I bought one of these and it says 500mAh on the side so am tempted to just return it. I got one of those battery packs but it doesn't charge it. Getting an adaptor to short those middle pins and see if it charges on my external battery pack, so will be happy with that. Battery pack gives out 750mAh.

Guest Dogmann55

Hi all,

Well i received a reply from the seller of that one @1000aMh @£88.95 and the reason for that price is that he is pulling the add as that unit doesn't work with Dell products so i wouldn't suggest buying the one for the Galaxy S then as it seems it won't work properly with the Streak after all.

Marc

Guest andycqos
Hi all,

Well i received a reply from the seller of that one @1000aMh @£88.95 and the reason for that price is that he is pulling the add as that unit doesn't work with Dell products so i wouldn't suggest buying the one for the Galaxy S then as it seems it won't work properly with the Streak after all.

Marc

I'd be interested to hear why. Surely, if its just a USB charger and its the right power then it would work :lol:

Guest Techneut
I'd be interested to hear why. Surely, if its just a USB charger and its the right power then it would work B)

Dell, in its infinite wisdom, decided to make its Streak charging ONLY from a DATA connection, or from its OWN $$$ charger.

Fortunately, you can easily simulate a data connection, by connecting USB pins 2 and 3 in your charger.

:lol:

Guest andycqos
Dell, in its infinite wisdom, decided to make its Streak charging ONLY from a DATA connection, or from its OWN $$$ charger.

Fortunately, you can easily simulate a data connection, by connecting USB pins 2 and 3 in your charger.

:lol:

Ah, that explains it then. I guess that means theres no point in me trying the half a dozen USB car charges I already own then B)

Guest GriZlore

:)

So to confirm, to get a charger to work, you must short the pins to simulate a 'data connection', even if it's a 1000mAh charger?

(unless you wanna give Dell some money (again))

There seem to be lots of conflicting information over t'internet, so just wanna get a definative answer, and you guys seem to be talking my kind of sense ;)

Thanks in anticapation

Guest chopper70

Thought I'd chip in on this one. I have used the charger from my HTC Touch HD since day one (it was already plugged in) and that works fine so I would assume that any HTC Compatible car chargers also work. God I hate the keyboard on 2.1!!!!!

Guest Techneut
So to confirm, to get a charger to work, you must short the pins to simulate a 'data connection', even if it's a 1000mAh charger?

(unless you wanna give Dell some money (again))

There seem to be lots of conflicting information over t'internet, so just wanna get a definative answer, and you guys seem to be talking my kind of sense ;)

Thanks in anticapation

In every USB plug, the outer pins 1 and 4 are the 'power pins', while the inner pins 2 and 3 are the 'data in-out pins'.

Some car chargers are simulating a data connection, by pulling the data out pin up to digital '1'. That way, the Streaks thinks it reads some data, and it starts loading...

Other car chargers don't bother and leave pin 2 and 3 disconnected; and the Streak does NOT load from those.

Fortunately, you can trick your Streak, by connecting its 'data in' and 'data out' pins; so that it thinks it's reading some data. This always works, and there is no danger.

Therefore, it is always safe to connect pin 2 and pin 3 in any connector and using any charger, even the 'good' ones.

Hope this little bit of 'technical' information takes away your remaining doubts.

In every USB plug, the outer pins 1 and 4 are the 'power pins', while the inner pins 2 and 3 are the 'data in-out pins'.

Some car chargers are simulating a data connection, by pulling the data out pin up to digital '1'. That way, the Streaks thinks it reads some data, and it starts loading...

Other car chargers don't bother and leave pin 2 and 3 disconnected; and the Streak does NOT load from those.

Fortunately, you can trick your Streak, by connecting its 'data in' and 'data out' pins; so that it thinks it's reading some data. This always works, and there is no danger.

Therefore, it is always safe to connect pin 2 and pin 3 in any connector and using any charger, even the 'good' ones.

Hope this little bit of 'technical' information takes away your remaining doubts.

Sorry that's not quite incorrect - and to say there is "no danger" is just plain wrong. Neither are Dell doing anything proprietary or unique, they are simply adhering to official USB specifications.

There are 3 power modes in the USB spec.

1) Low power, max 100mA - this is the trickle charge you get from a normal PC port

2) High power, max 500mA - this is the maximum you can get from a PC port. Some devices will not activate this unless a data connection is present (e.g. some early WM phones needed an Activesync connection before they would charge

3) Dedicate Power Port mode - max 1.8A. This tells the device you are connected to a dedicated charger with no data capability (e.g. mains wall charger). It is this mode you simulate by shorting pins 2 and 3 (with less than 200 ohms), and allows you to get enough current to power a large screen phone with GPS etc and have enough left over to charge the battery too.

Note when modifying USB leads or sockets for Dedicated Power Port mode you should make sure that the voltage converter itself is capable of supplying up to 2 amps continuously without overheating. Most (especially car adapters) aren't rated for anything like this and as such you run the risk of the risk the thing burning out and stuffing 12-15V into your phone, or at worst, a fire. The safest way is to look at the rating on your mains charger and make sure your car adapter is rated for at least the same current. Trying to save a few quid with a cheap Chinese 500mA adapter from eBay for a £500 phone is just foolhardy.

Edited by Metoo

Guest GriZlore

This badboy, works a treat

http://www.blueunplugged.com/p.aspx?p=121052

Only: £3.95 inc vat Free delivery !

has two ports (always a fave)

Top on is called "iPod port" and that one chargers the Streak nicely!

I tested it by having the screen on full, gps SatNav directions (audio loud), wifi on, (trying to drain the battery) and the Streak was charging nicely.

2USB-ICC_2.jpg2USB-ICC_3.jpg

Some people have said their charger wasnt keeping up with the drain, or only just... but this one seems just fine to me.

I recommend

• 1 month later...
There are 3 power modes in the USB spec.

1) Low power, max 100mA - this is the trickle charge you get from a normal PC port

2) High power, max 500mA - this is the maximum you can get from a PC port. Some devices will not activate this unless a data connection is present (e.g. some early WM phones needed an Activesync connection before they would charge

3) Dedicate Power Port mode - max 1.8A. This tells the device you are connected to a dedicated charger with no data capability (e.g. mains wall charger). It is this mode you simulate by shorting pins 2 and 3 (with less than 200 ohms), and allows you to get enough current to power a large screen phone with GPS etc and have enough left over to charge the battery too.

...so given that the iPad also requires over 1000mA to charge, then any iPad charger should work with the Streak too ?

Well, a 500mAh charger wont start the Dell up from flat, but it should maintain the charge on one that is already charged up, whilst in use in the car with GPS etc.

Also, it's worth noting the Sony MEXBT3800U CD player/head unit has USB on the panel and charges the Streak. It also streams audio via the USB, provided you mount it first, and it has media bluetooth for streaming (but bluetooth media streaming is not great on Android 2.1). Tat head unit is available for abotu £120.

The Kensington PowerBolt Model# K39242US/K39243US works perfectly fine with no modifications with the Streak. It's also low profile and can be found pretty cheap on eBay (that's where I got mine).

Kensington PowerBolt

As an FYI the Griffin PowerJolt Micro 2.1 iPad/iPhone USB car charger does NOT work with the Streak. I'm not sure why as it puts out 2.1amps but it will not charge the Streak.

Edited by EZ44