[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest finnboy
hi guys new here and really want to get this phone but the fact it has a big problem with o2 here -http://android.modaco.com/content-page/318778/o2-mms-on-unlocked-san-francisco/page/40/ is putting me off any of you guys got both mms and internet working on o2

thankyou guys and what a lovely forum

I am on a 12 month contract O2 sim, 'net and MMS working fine. It can be sorted. :)

Just installed this and I'm having the high CPU usage problem. The menus and operation ae extremely laggy even with all tasks killed and approx 300mb of free memory

Any idea how to fix this? Tried restarting the device and flashing agan but no luck.

had thistoo, tried reflash etc but nothing then i just left it and it settled ok.

Guest m_w_clarke
This has never worked for me, even out the box....I always have to press the power button.

Yup. this doesnt work for me UNLESS its plugged in to charge! Weird!

Oh, and now ive done a few reboots, the phone sits at ~13% CPU usage.

Still no joy with the email app and my imap account though :-(

Paul's r3 ROM (or could it be one of my updates apps?) seems to have added a nifty little blue arrow to the bottom right hand corner of the screen which gives a useful popup menu of icons. Does anyone know how to access its settings?

EDIT - it looks like it's a part of Super Manager - the "uper launcher" whatever that is

Edited by dwl99

Guest mark watson

Hi,

I'm having trouble flashing r3. I've flashed superboot which went ok, the copied mcri-system.tar.gz to the root of the sd card, but on reboot it just skips over and boots into the orange rom.

Any ideas?

Thanks all

Mark

Edit: Doh! sorry i named it incorectly! thanks Paul.... Great ROM. looking forward to more.

Thanks

Edited by mark watson

Guest nicksoph

:)

Thanks

Lovely review and instructions worked first time (once I installed the drivers).

unlocked, rooted and booted with r3

All seems fine and dandy

thanks again

Guest Evil Disco Guy

I'm noticing some skipping while playing songs, normally only while I'm still in the music player. Turn the screen off and they seem to stop. CPU tends to be around the 45%-55% mark.

After trying out r3 for a couple of days I think i will be going back to r2. I'm having similar problems to the ones mentioned above; i.e. general lag and sluggish on many screens. I did remove hardware acceleration to see if this was causing it, but it didn't make much of a difference. The r2 was definetly much smoother for me.

EDIT: I've replace my homscreen launcher from zeam to launcherpro and i must admit things have improved. I'll try putitng hardware acceleration back on see if it makes any difference.

Edited by xzyk

R3 has sped up my device along with causing improvements to many 3d apps. The only issue i'm still having is Wifi not reconnecting after the device has been sleeping for a while. This doesn't happen on my galaxy spica. If we can get that fixed then it's perfect

Guest steve1221
Just want to say a big "Thank You" to Paul. I updated from R2 to R3 and now the battery life seems to be much better

Oddly, I'm finding just the opposite with R3? Battery is draining much fast.

Came off charge 30 minutes ago and has been left in standby and batt is now being report to be down to 90% already !!

Guest deweylewie
Just noticed an artifact of the graphics change, on the camera in photo mode the screen has black lines down it all along the picture, this doesn't appear on video mode. The lines don't appear on the photo so it's no big deal.

I've just installed r3 instead of the default Orange image and noticed black lines on the camera, but not on any pictures taken. I have just restarted and it's now fine.

Wow!

I've had the phone 10 minutes and thanks to you lot (Paul in particular) ive got an awesome stock 2.1 ROM on a pretty decent phone!

I had a HTC desire when it first cam out but got a bit skint so cashed it in, this is pretty close in terms of performance and in screen plus no more HTC sense (never got on with it).

Only thing I had to register the PAYG SIM before i could use my contract SIM in the phone.

Thanks.

Ed

Guest deweylewie

Since changing from default to r3, turning the phone on its side no longer rotates the screen on the home screen or app drawer, but does work in menu lists (settings etc). Is this an option somewhere?

Guest Simon O
Since changing from default to r3, turning the phone on its side no longer rotates the screen on the home screen or app drawer, but does work in menu lists (settings etc). Is this an option somewhere?

I guess it's a limitation of the launcher used. Try installing an alternative like LauncherPro or ADW.Launcher from the Android Market.

hi... thanks.

Sorry to sound stupid... I am now up to the point of moving r3 to my sd card. But I don't know how to move it over. I have mounted my phone via usb and I have three folders 'android' 'lost.dir' 'z7logs'. Where do I move it? Sorry have never doen this before.. thanks.

Guest DaveMac

Successfully upgraded both superboot & rom to r3. Haven't really noticed any difference yet, but that's because I'm a noob and don't know what I'm looking for! pmsl

Tbh, my r2 install was really stable. I had good battery life, very few wireless issues, and ran pretty smoothly so was a little hesitant to upgrade to r3...curiosity got the better of me though! lol

Thanks for all your hard work Paul, much appreciated :)

Guest southeastblue

Just to let people know that resetting the device in the settings menu totally fixed the lagging navigation from high cpu usage.

It's now running very fast. :-)

Guest robot1000
Just to let people know that resetting the device in the settings menu totally fixed the lagging navigation from high cpu usage.

It's now running very fast. :-)

Did you use an app to find the CPU usage?

Guest Keithoms
Did you use an app to find the CPU usage?

I have also installed R3, my first MCR and did a full wipe, idled at 27% for me.

Paul. Can I be extremely greedy and make a request? Could you possibly either put the original 2.1 dialer back in the next ROM, or, rename the dialer 'Phone' and replace the current icon with the stock 2.1 one? Everything looks great apart from the crappy low res dialer!