[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Maringer
oh one question, what does hardware acceleration do?

It uses the graphics processing unit (GPU) built into the phone to run the display elements of android.

Without hardware acceleration in use, the CPU of the chip is used to process these display elements. Obviously, if properly supported in the software and drivers, the GPU will be much faster at this job so the interface should work more smoothly (as well as taking some of the load off the CPU).

Guest Jamesyboy84

Hi,

I have the r3 rom run on my new San Fran (Thanks Paul, awesome work!). Just loaded os monitor on it and can see a process /system/bin/akmd2 running between 5-7% constantly. Any ideas what this process is and what it does and more importantly if it can be stopped, as i imagine it is using a fair bit of battery usage. You can also see this process in spare parts under CPU Usage.

Thanks

James

There's a few new options in the kitchen, including the ability to disable hardware acceleration and the ability to selectively include any Orange crap you bizarrely want. :)

P

Guest Evil Disco Guy

I'm going to try R3 without Hardware Acceleration. I had jerky homescreen performance, stuttering when playing music and general slowness (with high CPU usage), which I haven't had using the Stock image (I even have Live Wallpapers on with Stock and get better performance).

Guest Simon O
I'm going to try R3 without Hardware Acceleration. I had jerky homescreen performance, stuttering when playing music and general slowness (with high CPU usage), which I haven't had using the Stock image (I even have Live Wallpapers on with Stock and get better performance).

Hardware Acceleration doesn't cause those problems. Most like you had installed an application that is causing the high CPU usage. Try doing a factory reset and install your apps again. Should be fine then.

Guest Evil Disco Guy
Hardware Acceleration doesn't cause those problems. Most like you had installed an application that is causing the high CPU usage. Try doing a factory reset and install your apps again. Should be fine then.

That was after a wipe, two even. Didn't happen on R2 or on Stock, many people seem to be reporting similar problems. Noticed just listening to music (no Twitter or Facebook, straight after installation) I had 94% CPU and over 60% memory usage. After a few reboots the CPU usage dips but the homescreen remains quite jerky.

Guest renegade027
There's a few new options in the kitchen, including the ability to disable hardware acceleration and the ability to selectively include any Orange crap you bizarrely want. :)

P

Paul, nice to have a kitchen now - is there a way to get rid of the Orange browser as well and have an option to install a stock 2.1 browser?

Guest Evil Disco Guy

Smoother performance on R3 now without Hardware Acceleration than before. I can't check CPU usage though because Task Manager FCs on the Resources tab. I removed all additions, Sim Toolkit, Orange junk, Third Party (bar TouchPal) Apps and Games. Task Manager works fine until selecting the Resources tab.

I'll probably try a baked ROM with Hardware Acceleration again soon just to double check.

EDIT: Enabled HW and getting better results than before. Went back to the normal R3 release and got slowness again. Task Manager still FCs with my HW enabled baked version.

EDIT 2: Still getting random music skipping with the HW version. Even tried using the we7 app (incase it was my music causing the problems) and got the same results...

Edited by Evil Disco Guy

Guest tambourine_man

Hiya

Very puzzled..

One problem:

I have unlocked my phone and I'm using it with Three. However today and at some other times my phone suddenly decided to start roaming and connects to the Orange network. I read in another thread this might be to do with an Orange locking the phone somehow until I register the simcard, but I would have thought it would already be registered becuase I bought it in a shop. In my APNs list I have just got three UK and it has been working pretty well up to this.

So that is the first problem - My phone seems to think it is in roaming and won't allow me to connect, even if I search for available networks.

2nd Problem - Even though I have updated to R3 I still seem to have the orange logo? My build number says

"Modaco Custom Rom.....r3 (OUK_P729BV1.0.0B05)"

Any thoughts?

Guest H2ohaZZ

Hi Probably being a noob...

When installing the Modaco custom ROM can I install r3 straight away or do i need to install the predecessors with it being a no wipe upgrade?

Cheers.

Guest Cobble
Hi Probably being a noob...

When installing the Modaco custom ROM can I install r3 straight away or do i need to install the predecessors with it being a no wipe upgrade?

Cheers.

Go straight to r3.

Guest Cobble
Hiya

Very puzzled..

One problem:

I have unlocked my phone and I'm using it with Three. However today and at some other times my phone suddenly decided to start roaming and connects to the Orange network. I read in another thread this might be to do with an Orange locking the phone somehow until I register the simcard, but I would have thought it would already be registered becuase I bought it in a shop. In my APNs list I have just got three UK and it has been working pretty well up to this.

So that is the first problem - My phone seems to think it is in roaming and won't allow me to connect, even if I search for available networks.

2nd Problem - Even though I have updated to R3 I still seem to have the orange logo? My build number says

"Modaco Custom Rom.....r3 (OUK_P729BV1.0.0B05)"

Any thoughts?

Did you flash Superboot r3 before flashing the r3 ROM?

And the roaming on Orange issue isn't an issue. It's what happens on 3 when your phone can't find a 3 signal.

Guest martin2k

Which of the selectable kitchen options are included in the rom when I use the DOWNLAOD link and not the kitchen to downlaod the rom? Is the hardware acceleration included by default?

Guest subvertbeats
though AP2SD was only for 2.2?

Google A2SD is a Froyo feature that allows you to install apps to the FAT partition of your SD card

A2SD/A2SD+ is a method that has been around for much longer, and created by the Android community to address the fact that many devices dont have large amounts of internal memory.... IMO its a better solution - it basically creates a symbolic link from the phones internal storage to an ext partition on your SD card, which means that your phone thinks that apps are being stored internally, but in reality they are being installed to this partition on the SD card.

This has an important benefit that when the SD card is mounted (connecting to a computer), apps and widgets on the SD card continue to work (unlike the Froyo implementation)

I have seen this questions sort of asked, but not directly enough to reassure me.

If I upgrade the ROM will I then lose any data like SMS messages, diary, etc?

Thanks ;O)

Edited by ought