[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest yorkieboy

Hi,

Newbee here..love the phone but..

Currently running r2 which is fine ..apart from Problem is…Cant get any internet via my Vodafone monthly account.

- was previously using iPhone 2g with this card Ok. I have only changed settings as above

Vodafone

APN (contract): internet

APN (PAYG): pp.vodafone.co.uk

Username: web

Password: web

But can only get the triangle in top left no connection available. Do i need to ask Vodafone to allow this APN?

Vodafone tec are non too helpful and passed me around not even knowing what I meant when I asked them to confirm what APN settings were required as obviously ZTE is not one of their handset types so therefore no need to know!

So, in order to get settings, am I correct in thinking that Paul’s r3 will put the correct settings in for me if I flash to that? Or am I just illustrating my “newbee-ness” ?

all replies welcome, perhaps an idiots guide?.

thanks

Guest m_w_clarke
Hi,

Newbee here..love the phone but..

Currently running r2 which is fine ..apart from Problem is…Cant get any internet via my Vodafone monthly account.

- was previously using iPhone 2g with this card Ok. I have only changed settings as above

Vodafone

APN (contract): internet

APN (PAYG): pp.vodafone.co.uk

Username: web

Password: web

But can only get the triangle in top left no connection available. Do i need to ask Vodafone to allow this APN?

Vodafone tec are non too helpful and passed me around not even knowing what I meant when I asked them to confirm what APN settings were required as obviously ZTE is not one of their handset types so therefore no need to know!

So, in order to get settings, am I correct in thinking that Paul’s r3 will put the correct settings in for me if I flash to that? Or am I just illustrating my “newbee-ness” ?

all replies welcome, perhaps an idiots guide?.

thanks

Could you not ring VOdafone customer servces and say you have one f their Android handsets, like the 845? The setup shouldbe the same as for this - so they could talk you through the menus?

Guest spartathisis

Love the fone, thanks to Paul for alerting us to it. As i have come from a HTC Tattoo, I see no slowdown its way quicker, those who have had high end fones may see the diff but I dont :)

Great screen and love the living wallpapers you can get. Paul any ideas on what you are putting in the next version?

I don't have the means to go AdFree and try out the kitchen yet, so I'm having to rely on Titanium Backup and Root Explorer for poking about and removing unwanted stuff instead. Just curious, are apps like Global Time and News and Weather - which I don't really need but appear as red "system apps" in TB - safely removable?

Also anyone with tips on removing biro marks from the case would be appreciated :)

Edited by weba

Guest 2smart4class

hi paul,

thanks for this seems to work great! :)

btw ive killed all apps and cpu load is between 10%-20% is this normal?? It still feels a little sluggish compared to r2 but only a slightly.

Anyone got any advice?

Edited by 2smart4class

Looks to me like the apps are gone and there's just a bit of data left behind...

P

Thanks Paul, any way of clearing them? and whats the best way of monitoring the cpu load.

Guest mastakila

r4 - when?

is it possible to improve battery life and assign Menu button to waking the phone up with next ROM release?

@Paul - thanks for all your hard work

Guest Sere83

Finally got R3 installed, amazing work Paul! Many many thanks. Improves this device 10 fold!

At first I had the High CPU load issue, but after a few restarts seems to have disappeared. Installed Launcher Pro Plus, now this thing is tearing! Buttery smooth and so much better with out all that Orange Junk. Launcher Pro Plus helped speed things up a lot too.

Wifi cut off once when the phone was left idle for a bit but apart from that no issues to note, haven't used it all that much though TBH. Battery seems strong, don't know what It was like before to be honest but is good now nonetheless.

For any one wondering, this thing kicks the crap out of my official 2.1 upgraded T-mobile G2 (HTC Hero), actually prefer stock Android to sense. The battery seems better and 3D and video performance is much better, this may also be because of the newer CPU used (Qualcomm MSM7227) and more Ram. Anyone considering a Hero though, I wouldn't bother, get this instead!

One question though, is the inability to add a facebook account a general android 2.1 issue? I tested this before the upgrade and it couldn't do it either and I tried on my HTC Hero (Despite it using sense for facebook obviously) but still wasn't able to do it anyway.

Cracking effort anyway, look forward to R4!!!

ps. Is getting some VGA resolution capture action on the camcorder a complete impossibility? (Sorry if this is a stupid question...I am but a Noob taking my first tentative steps into this enchanted android wonderland. hahaha)

Edited by Sere83

Guest clnmckec
Finally got R3 installed, amazing work Paul! Many many thanks. Improves this device 10 fold!

At first I had the High CPU load issue, but after a few restarts seems to have disappeared. Installed Launcher Pro Plus, now this thing is tearing! Buttery smooth and so much better with out all that Orange Junk. Launcher Pro Plus helped speed things up a lot too.

Wifi cut off once when the phone was left idle for a bit but apart from that no issues to note, haven't used it all that much though TBH. Battery seems strong, don't know what It was like before to be honest but is good now nonetheless.

For any one wondering, this thing kicks the crap out of my official 2.1 upgraded T-mobile G2 (HTC Hero), actually prefer stock Android to sense. The battery seems better and 3D and video performance is much better, this may also be because of the newer CPU used (Qualcomm MSM7227) and more Ram. Anyone considering a Hero though, I wouldn't bother, get this instead!

One question though, is the inability to add a facebook account a general android 2.1 issue? I tested this before the upgrade and it couldn't do it either and I tried on my HTC Hero (Despite it using sense for facebook obviously) but still wasn't able to do it anyway.

Cracking effort anyway, look forward to R4!!!

ps. Is getting some VGA resolution capture action on the camcorder a complete impossibility? (Sorry if this is a stupid question...I am but a Noob taking my first tentative steps into this enchanted android wonderland. hahaha)

GUYS PLEASE HELP!!! RIght new to android... Broke my sanfrancisco the other night orange replaced today Basically im cool with rooting it when i flahed rom though it just stuck on the andriod (i left it for over an hour the buttons wouldnt work so i eventually took battery out put it back in but same again... Tried flashing boot and stock etc.. nothing stuck on andriod before i start again can someone point me in the direction of the correct r3 where i dont have to rename anything literally drag on to mem card and reboot!? (i should have signed up before trying it lol

Guest AntiSilence666

Hi, I'm new here and to Android phones (got a San Francisco on Tuesday) and last night I rooted it and installed your custom ROM (R3) following the steps provided without any problems at all (on Win7 64-bit) :) All is good without the Orange junk, and the speed has increased (I benchmarked it with Quadrant before and after lol).

Would just like to say thank you for making all this possible ;) Keep up the good work!

Edited by AntiSilence666

Guest Sere83

Maybe i spoke to soon.....basically every time i restart the phone I get the high cpu usage issue come back for a bit. It goes up to like 97/98% for about 2 minutes then I kill a few tasks and wait a bit then it eventually settles down again back to like 13%.

Any one know whats causing this?

Guest clnmckec
Hi, I'm new here and to Android phones (got a San Francisco on Tuesday) and last night I rooted it and installed your custom ROM (R3) following the steps provided without any problems at all (on Win7 64-bit) :) All is good without the Orange junk, and the speed has increased (I benchmarked it with Quadrant before and after lol).

Would just like to say thank you for making all this possible ;) Keep up the good work!

GUYS IM LOST HERE TRIED WITH NEW PHONE COPIED OVER mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz which exists on the mem card 83,921,127 but when i reboot it doesnt flash it just going straigtht to my normal orange rom???

Guest clnmckec
GUYS IM LOST HERE TRIED WITH NEW PHONE COPIED OVER mcri-system-blade-mcr-r3.tar.gz which exists on the mem card 83,921,127 but when i reboot it doesnt flash it just going straigtht to my normal orange rom???

ps happy to donate to forum if i get a reply that fixes this tearing my hair out!?

Guest clnmckec
ps happy to donate to forum if i get a reply that fixes this tearing my hair out!?

its cool sorted now realised you have to change file name do'h!! now working cheers guys!

Guest southeastblue
Maybe i spoke to soon.....basically every time i restart the phone I get the high cpu usage issue come back for a bit. It goes up to like 97/98% for about 2 minutes then I kill a few tasks and wait a bit then it eventually settles down again back to like 13%.

Any one know whats causing this?

I had this problem too, only way to get the phone running fast and smooth was to reset everything in the phones settings.

Beware though as all apps and anything saved to the phone will be removed.

Rename the fie to mcri-system.tar

Guest Sere83
I had this problem too, only way to get the phone running fast and smooth was to reset everything in the phones settings.

Beware though as all apps and anything saved to the phone will be removed.

Tried this....no joy :-(. Also re-flashed. Same thing