[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest steve1221
Hmmm, that's strange!

You could try the following in this order...

• put the MCR .tar.gz file back on the SD (the install renames it) and try again
  • put the stock image .tar.gz file on the SD and try booting again
  • run 'fastboot erase userdata' with your device in bootloader (note: this is a factory reset!)

P

Odder and odder !

I've put the update on the sd that came with the phone rather than the 8 gig I was using and got further but still no flash !

It stops on the Orange logo for maybe 30 seconds and then reboots and loads but hasn't flashed ?

Guest stuartmc

That's what I was getting before I renamed the file. Also loaded from the 16Gb card I am using now without any other problem.

Edited by stuartmc

Guest steve1221
That's what I was getting before I renamed the file. Also loaded from the 16Gb card I am using now without any other problem.

I can see in on the SD as mcri-system.tar.gz. I cut n pasted from page 1 to be sure I got it right!

Just downloading it again in case its the file.

I'm stumped.

I've redownloaded the file, no flash.

I've formatted the sd (just in case) and made sure the update is the only file there, it still won't up date.

I've got another sd somewhere, but I can't see that, that's the problem ?

Edited by steve1221

Guest steve1221
You've flashed the MCRi bootloader right?

So is it not booting at all?

P

Yup, flashed the bootloader and had no errors. Then rebooted with 'fastboot-windows reboot'. Device rebooted and started as it should.

Renamed the update, placed on root of sd, power off phone, power on. Nothing.

Downloaded update again, nothing. Tried a new sd, nothing, reformetted sd and made sure the update was the only file on, still nothing.

Maybe it just doesn't like me !

just as a point of interest, did you previously have your phone rooted using androot? If so, you need to rm superuser.apk from /system/app first before you flash superboot, else it doesn't install, and you wouldn't know. if so, then attempting to flash mcri update wouldn't work either.

Remove superuser using adb, reflash the superboot, then try agn

Guest steve1221
just as a point of interest, did you previously have your phone rooted using androot? If so, you need to rm superuser.apk from /system/app first before you flash superboot, else it doesn't install, and you wouldn't know. if so, then attempting to flash mcri update wouldn't work either.

Remove superuser using adb, reflash the superboot, then try agn

That would explain it.

I don't have adb, but I do have what's supposed to be a rooted file manager (or 2), but they won't delete it ?

I used SUFBS to make the system dir read/write but still can't delete anything in there ??

That would explain it.

I don't have adb, but I do have what's supposed to be a rooted file manager (or 2), but they won't delete it ?

I used SUFBS to make the system dir read/write but still can't delete anything in there ??

try downloading a free terminal app off the market, "android terminal emulator" should do it, open, type "su", get the # symbol, "cd system", "cd app" then type "rm superuser.apk"

My linux/adb/android terminal stuff is a bit weak, so i may have missed summat, but that's what i would have tried anyway. Hope this helps!!

Guest steve1221
try downloading a free terminal app off the market, "android terminal emulator" should do it, open, type "su", get the # symbol, "cd system", "cd app" then type "rm superuser.apk"

My linux/adb/android terminal stuff is a bit weak, so i may have missed summat, but that's what i would have tried anyway. Hope this helps!!

Well thanks, but it still won't flash.

I delete superuser.apk fine. I checked it was gone with Astro, and it was.

But after a reboot it's back and the flash fails? Darn things like a virus !

Odd

I found this problem out when I wanted to install superboot + root ready for the MCR when it came out. I had already used the androot method to root, which is where i had the problem. Paul did mention somewhere that if superuser.apk is already in /system/app/ then it wont run the script therefore not installing, but you won't get an error, so you don't know.

So, what i did:

using androot, i did an "unroot" then removed superuser.apk via root explorer.

turned phone off, removed the batt (as instructed) followed instructions to install superboot

when phone came on, i noticed that super user was in the menu agn, checked root access, and all was good.

Maybe you didn't unroot first, i dunno. Try it anyway.

Guest tambourine_man

Alright guys,

very new to this Android business but have been avidly reading all the info Paul and co have been posting. Thanks! I only bought this phone because of the recommendations on this website.

I am in the process of getting rid of the orange stuff, and I am at the stage of installing the rom. I have done the MCRI bootloader, and have downloaded the rom file. Just not sure whether I am meant to rename the micro sd card, or rename the file i'm putting on it? Does the mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar file want to go on the root of the SD?

Sorry if this is a silly question, just wanted clarification before going ahead.

THanks again,

Peter

Edited by tambourine_man

Hi, you need to rename the file you downloaded to mcri-system.tar.gz (check it on the op post) but i think thats right. Not the mmc card. Then place it on the root of your mmc card, i.e. not in any folders. Then, assuming that you have the superboot installed ok, you just restart your phone. It should pause on the orange logo for a couple of mins while it installs, then it will reboot. Hopefully that should be it.

EDIT: sorry paul, was writing this out when you posted obviously :lol:

Edited by clivec

Guest steve1221
Odd

I found this problem out when I wanted to install superboot + root ready for the MCR when it came out. I had already used the androot method to root, which is where i had the problem. Paul did mention somewhere that if superuser.apk is already in /system/app/ then it wont run the script therefore not installing, but you won't get an error, so you don't know.

So, what i did:

using androot, i did an "unroot" then removed superuser.apk via root explorer.

turned phone off, removed the batt (as instructed) followed instructions to install superboot

when phone came on, i noticed that super user was in the menu agn, checked root access, and all was good.

Maybe you didn't unroot first, i dunno. Try it anyway.

All the helps appreciated guys. Tried everything as above and still won't flash. I'm giving it up for tonight I spent far too much time on it already.

I'll try again tomorrow,

Thanks again. . .

Guest steve1221
Rename the file itself before or after you copy it to the SD.

P

Before?

But it looks like its not being able to get rid of superuser.apk that's the problem ? (isn't it?)

Before?

But it looks like its not being able to get rid of superuser.apk that's the problem ? (isn't it?)

lol, that was in reply to tambourine_man, you need to take a break, have a kit-kat :lol:

Guest steve1221
lol, that was in reply to tambourine_man, you need to take a break, have a kit-kat :lol:

Tell me about!! I realised that just after I pressed 'reply'. . .

Off for a stiff drink or several.

Guest tambourine_man

Hmm....

I seem to have done something strange. I followed the instructions (i think) for MCRi as here http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...boot-root-mcri/

The I followed the next set to remove the orange crap.

However I could only get to the point where the orange logo was hanging which I thought might be due to a naming error but I don't think so. It didn't seem to be updating and rebooting as per instructions. How long does it take roughly if done correctly to remove the orange stuff (i.e. how long will it stay with the orange logo?)

I then took out the sd card and tried to view it in my laptop, and now it is telling my the MicroSD needs to be reformatted and the phone is haning at the orange logo whatever i do.

If i reformat the micro SD what files need to be on it to get it back to orginal?

Did I make a mistake somewhere with the first step?

Sorry to be of trouble, and thanks ever so much for the speedy replies!

Guest thepearce

I seem to be having similar problems to steve1221. I've not previously used androot though.

I've (I hope) followed the instructions as laid out. I installed the bootloader without issue. I rebooted (no problem).

I copied over the renamed file and rebooted. When the phone starts nothing has updated.

I've tried the fastboot erase userdata - It appeared to be doing something more (paused on the orange logo for a while) - when the phone loaded it had been reset - but still with the original orange ROM.

Do I need to wipe the Micro SD card? I copied the file over using the USB cable as I don't have a micro SD reader.

Edited by thepearce

Guest tambourine_man

Hmm s***...

So, to go on from my previous post.

Basically I can't get into the phone now, I am stuck at the Orange Logo (orange square - black surrounding).

I have reflashed to the original stock shipping image using fastboot as outlined here: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...5-stock-images/ where I did fastboot and put on the stock boot image.

I still however am unsure as what to do with my MicroSD card which windows says needs to be reformatted? This happened after I followed the instructions to get rid of the orange stuff. If i reformat it what info needs to be on the card, and what should I reformat it to? Why has it suddenly decided it needs reformatting?

THanks,

peter