[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Teh H4rRy

I used a Kitchen R4 Rom which i made with A2SD, With this R4 it says its optional...does that mean its installed ready to go or does something need to be changed?

Have rooted, applied r3 and clockwork mod so far based on all your info on this forum. Thanks Paul.

I have bought a new (larger) class 4 SD card and formatted it Fat32 and Ext2. Again thanks for the advice.

Am i ok placing this in the San Fran till i can get a hold of a ROM that has A2SD installed? I am presuming this will just work once i have this? Sorry for the ignorance as i am a complete newbie on Android.

Out of interest, how long will A2SD be in testing for, and will it be included eventually in the public ROM?

Guest MIKEYMC

What app can I use to check A2SD is working? I added it to my rom and I've partitioned the sd accordingly. But being a first time android user I'm not sure how to tell its putting apps on sd card.

What app can I use to check A2SD is working? I added it to my rom and I've partitioned the sd accordingly. But being a first time android user I'm not sure how to tell its putting apps on sd card.

Use Quick System Info free on the android market to check A2SD storage, try installing app and see if the A2SD storage decrease.

Guest MIKEYMC
Use Quick System Info free on the android market to check A2SD storage, try installing app and see if the A2SD storage decrease.

Thanks for that. Appears to be working fine :D Loving the adfree roms :P Whats the biggest you should goto on ext2 partition, I made it 800mb.

Just out of interest, have any of you guys seen a noticeable performance benefit from A2SD?

I've used it in the past on my HTC Magic, but since this phone has more RAM, I haven't bothered this time. So yeah, if the guys who have used A2SD on their ROMs have any comments regarding the performance of their phone with A2SD enabled, I'd appreciate them.

Guest ritterkeks

just want to mention that flashing r4 (via clockwork) from my 16GBsdhc did not work

saying the zip is (bad).

of course I first checked the m5dsum for the file in my downloadfolder and also the one on the card (via clockwork mount SD).

Then I tried the shipped 2GB microSD and it worked. Now it could be the smaller card or the fact that this was empty.

Guest Stryke69
just want to mention that flashing r4 (via clockwork) from my 16GBsdhc did not work

saying the zip is (bad).

of course I first checked the m5dsum for the file in my downloadfolder and also the one on the card (via clockwork mount SD).

Then I tried the shipped 2GB microSD and it worked. Now it could be the smaller card or the fact that this was empty.

I'm not an expert, but could that be an issue of the card class (and it's read/write speed)?

Hi

sorry my First post and it might be not relevant but about the network selection. i have a pulse and iam on tesco mobile for some reason it doesn't work. using an isim it works with o2 and orange but not with tesco mobile. i was on o2 and it worked but when i switched it stopped working. when i go to the network section option it has o2, tmobile ect but no tesco. it says unavailable service but it recognizes its tesso sim. was thinking of geting the san fran and getting that unlocked but worried about the same iusse had anyone else had issues like this and how would i resolve this?

thanks

Guest MIKEYMC

Don't you just need to input the apn settings for tesco mobile. When I put my vodafone sim in it didn't have them. But I went to the vodafone site and used the settings they have for google phones.

Don't you just need to input the apn settings for tesco mobile. When I put my vodafone sim in it didn't have them. But I went to the vodafone site and used the settings they have for google phones.

APNs and re right but i get no network i carnt call out but thanks for the response any one got a san fran with a tesco mobile? or a pulse with a tesco sim?

thanks

Edited by Zo_

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Hi All,

I've install ClockworkMod recovery on my Orange SF using the http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...rkmod-recovery/ documentation from post 1 ('sudo fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.9-modaco-r2-blade.img' but after this was installed and the reboot, there is nothing different on my SF.

The adb was not able to work to copy the r4 (default kitchen options) to the /sdcard/update.zip so I used an microSD adaptor and copied into the card root.

I've restarted the SF with the volume up pressed and nothing. No menu to select and nothing has done.

So my problems are:

- how can I double check that clockworkmod-recovery was installed properly?

- is update.zip enough to get the SF flashed or what do I need to do? Paul's video is with the old method.

- how to make adb on mac working to see /sdcard/ and the rest?

Thank you,

Radu

Volume DOWN....restart with Volume DOWN held... :P

Guest abdn-android

I'm having the same problem that post #198 reported as a bug. When I try to connect to the SSID at my university (Aberdeen) on my ZTE Blade (Modaco Rom r4) - they are using 'eduroam' with 802.1x Enterprise - I get a crash. As a work around I tried to add a network manually; this seems to work for local connections, although I'm having trouble finding where to set the proxy for external connections. Could someone please advise? Thanks - and a big thanks to Paul and the team for all their hard work on this!

Hi, can I ask a question to you experts out there?

I've tried to bake a ROM with custom ingredients, namely ADW Launcher (System version 1.20, Eclair, HDPI). I've put the APK in a folder called app which is itself inside a folder called system (so my structure is /system/app/ADWLauncher.apk) and then I've zipped it using WinRAR and called it update.zip .

However, ADW is not installed when I boot. Any tips on how to make this work?

Thanks in advance for any advice guys. :P

Guest finbaar

I would just like to thank all those providing help and support to us n00bs out here and obviously specail thanks to Paul for all his hard work. I now have R4 installed with hardware accelaration working fine and even A2SD seems to be working to (I do have a question on that though). Although I was completely new to this whole rooting thing I found that by SEASRCHING the forum the answer was usualy there. Mind you I have learnt by my mistakes and Wednesday night at 11:57 was a grim time - I thought I had briked my phone but no I recovered it OK. One bonus for me has been Ubuntu as I used a live CD for the EXT2 partition. I can see me making at leat one PC dual boot as I was very impressed and it seemed a refreshing change to XP.

My question is that using Quick System Info I can see that A2SD has a total capacity of 454mb with 411mb free. So something has gone on there. However this did not go up when I downloaded my last app - was this due to the app not being compatible with the SD card (it was Othello Reversi) or dose A2SD only work when the rom is loaded the apps loaded after this go to internal memory?

Ok i have attached my build.prop all i have done is changed the lcd density to 160 but you need adw launcher installed first or it wont look wright also just drop the build.prop into /system using root explorer and remeber to backup the original file and last step is to reboot it looks awesome enjoy.

Update oh i forgot you must be on pauls r4 rom i aint tested it on the orange rom but cant see why it shouldnt work on that too.

build.rar

Edited by jutley

Ok i have attached my build.prop all i have done is changed the lcd density to 160 but you need adw launcher installed first or it wont look wright also just drop the build.prop into /system using root explorer and remeber to backup the original file and last step is to reboot it looks awesome enjoy.

So I'm guessing what I have to do is to install the Standalone version of ADW, enable it, and push the build.prop to /system then reboot? Haven't done this before.

So I'm guessing what I have to do is to install the Standalone version of ADW, enable it, and push the build.prop to /system then reboot? Haven't done this before.

its easy as 123 you will love the new screen if you like high definition screen :P

Guest x.balli.x

I got a problem.....i flashed Froyo R1 which is under development, it worked fine, i made a back up before flashing it.....now i tried to restore the fone but it is looping constantly at bootscreen, if i take out the sd card it will boot fine in R4 2.1 , tried doing a fresh install of R4 still no luck ,any idea?

Guest stuartmc

Just installed my first baked ROM, thanks Paul plus too many others to list. I have installed a2sd and can see that Quickinfo shows it is there. My question is is there anyway to move my existing apps over or do I need to uninstall and then reinstall for them to be moved to the SD card?

Yes I searched and can't find an answer.

APNs and re right but i get no network i carnt call out but thanks for the response any one got a san fran with a tesco mobile? or a pulse with a tesco sim?

thanks

I ordered the tesco pay monthly sim when i got the san fran. Put it in and added the APN. Works a treat.

By the way, sounds a bit obvious but when i received the sim i had to activate it on the tesco mobile website before it would work.

Guest professordes
I'm having the same problem that post #198 reported as a bug. When I try to connect to the SSID at my university (Aberdeen) on my ZTE Blade (Modaco Rom r4) - they are using 'eduroam' with 802.1x Enterprise - I get a crash. As a work around I tried to add a network manually; this seems to work for local connections, although I'm having trouble finding where to set the proxy for external connections. Could someone please advise? Thanks - and a big thanks to Paul and the team for all their hard work on this!

Android (even 2.2) won't do wifi proxying at all out of the box as far as I know, which is a real pain for (a properly configured) eduroam. If your ROM has enough of iptables and NAT in it there is a workaround here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=766569

using a little app called tproxy. This works perfectly for me on one of Paul's ROMs on an HTC Desire. However, with the stock ROM and even Paul's r4 ROM there's not enough for it to work (i.e. do http proxying over a wifi network) on the Orange SF :P

Fortunately for me, my (Scottish) Uni has configured eduroam in a non-standard way _without_ an http proxy........

Edited by professordes

Guest Teh H4rRy

HELP! I installed this ROM with clockwork and when I reboot it gets stuck at the flashing silver Android logo. I has previously had a Kitchen r4 ROM which A2SD installed. I wanted to do a fresh ROM install with this as I am having problems with A2SD. Someone please help. I am downloading a Stock ROM at the moment and am gonna try that.

EDIT, I used clockwork again to go back to a stock ROM, same issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Teh H4rRy