[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

tambourine_man, was your phone completely stock before you started?

I wish I could help out more, i've been where you are now with a htc legend, and had to take it back as i couldn't get it working agn, trying to partition the sd card to use a2sd broke the ability for the phone to read the sd?!?

Anyway, you need to have a working sd card in order to flash the stock files onto the device i think, may be wrong, but format your card in a pc, put it back in the phone, then go through the process of flashing the boot img and rom img off the stock rom thread, if that don't work you need someone better than me to assist. :/

Guest tambourine_man
tambourine_man, was your phone completely stock before you started?

I wish I could help out more, i've been where you are now with a htc legend, and had to take it back as i couldn't get it working agn, trying to partition the sd card to use a2sd broke the ability for the phone to read the sd?!?

Anyway, you need to have a working sd card in order to flash the stock files onto the device i think, may be wrong, but format your card in a pc, put it back in the phone, then go through the process of flashing the boot img and rom img off the stock rom thread, if that don't work you need someone better than me to assist. :/

Heya

Thanks for replying.

RIght yeh so I have got hold of a second MicroSD (didn't want to reformat the original just in case) and have put the file:

(Stock system image (OUK_P729BV1.0.0B05 for install using MCRi - copy to SD card as mcri-system.tar.gz and reboot: DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: bd8aba16c9cb2e358dc093cb4450900b)

on the root of the sd card. Quick question - that file can be extracted, do i extract it and put the extracted file on the root, or do i just rename the very orginal file i downloaded and put that on the root? I renamed it to mcri-system.tar.gz.

So I've put that on the root of the SD. Next step, I used fastboot and flashed (successfully as far as I'm aware) "boot / recovery images (flash via 'fastboot') - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 5385b0b75adc90247ae1451bf4b14a09" onto the phone.

Then i used fastboot-windows reboot.

And yet still I am stuck at the orange logo! Have I bricked it within a few hours of paying £100 quid for it? This is a screenshot of my fastboot. I presume this is right?

THanks again,

Christ this is annoying, I had just got my unlock code as well and was looking forward to it all working.

Latest Update 22:45 - I'm gonna give up for tonight, but I would be very grateful for any suggestions. Will be at work tomorrow so won't be able to try anything out then. Any ideas what Orange would say if i return? Have I screwed my warranty?

Just to recpap I tried putting the new rom on using the walktroughs from paul. I though all was good, but at the stage of putting the file on the sd, my phone never rebooted. Since then my phone is stuck at the orange logo on boot. I have tried putting the factory stock back but to no avail. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Thanks for all the time and help guys,

Goodnight

Fastboot.bmp

Edited by tambourine_man

Guest anything-but

Successful flash here,1st andriod phone,2 days old and now i`ve flashed and unlocked it already with the info gained off here. :lol:

Many thanks for all the hard work!

Edited by anything-but

Guest tambourine_man

How do you flash the boot image? THis part here? Using fastboot?

I thought I had done this, doesn't the screenshot of my cmd show this?

Its a two step thing yeh?

First put the file on the micro sd, >>>do i do any more that simply putting it on the sd? does that need to be flashed using fastboot?

then use fastboot to flash (this step: Stock boot / recovery images (flash via 'fastboot') - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 5385b0b75adc90247ae1451bf4b14a09)

Edited by tambourine_man

Guest anything-but

Noticed the widget for wifi/sat/bluetooth,brightness has gone from the default android one.....can i get it back or is there one i can replace it with?

....never mind,should have just looked in the market place like i just did 1st off,sorted. :lol:

Edited by anything-but

* Download r2 Superboot / MCRi for ZTE Blade - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid Load Balancing) - MD5: 23bc7f6ad183e7e433d06953445ff1ab

* Download fastboot if you do not have it already.

* Turn off your phone and take out the battery. Unplug the phone from the PC / charger.

* Replace the battery and turn the phone back on with 'volume up' held. The device will stay at the 'green android' screen.

* Plug the phone into the PC.

* Extract the fastboot zip file.

* From a command prompt (at the directory containing these new files!) run 'fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img' (subsituting fastboot-mac or fastboot-linux as required)

* When this finishes, from the command prompt run 'fastboot-windows reboot' (again substituting fastboot-mac or fastboot-linux as required)

* Done!

Sorry, noob here. Picking up the phone tomorrow, my first Android.

Can I ask what processes listed above are done on the phone, and which are done on the PC, if that makes sense? For instance "at the command prompt" etc. is that done on the phone or PC?

Im sure it will all be more obvious when I have the actual phone in my hands but a little guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Sorry, noob here. Picking up the phone tomorrow, my first Android.

Can I ask what processes listed above are done on the phone, and which are done on the PC, if that makes sense? For instance "at the command prompt" etc. is that done on the phone or PC?

Im sure it will all be more obvious when I have the actual phone in my hands but a little guidance would be appreciated.

Many thanks!

Everything is done on the PC.

P

How do you flash the boot image? THis part here? Using fastboot?

I thought I had done this, doesn't the screenshot of my cmd show this?

Its a two step thing yeh?

First put the file on the micro sd, >>>do i do any more that simply putting it on the sd? does that need to be flashed using fastboot?

OK, right, let's wind it back to the start.

First of all, if your device isn't booting, don't flash the stock boot image. This has zero options for device recovery, so superboot / MCRi is your answer. If you still have a non-booting device, I would follow these steps (which basically wipes your device completely and starts again)...

• Download the MCR r2 system image (mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar.gz) and copy it to your microSD card as mcri-system.tar.gz. Put the microSD in your phone.
  • Turn device on in bootloader mode (power on with volume up)
  • From a command prompt, run 'fastboot-windows erase system'
  • From a command prompt, run 'fastboot-windows erase userdata'
  • From a command prompt, run 'fastboot-windows erase persist'
  • From a command prompt, run 'fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img'
  • From a command prompt, run 'fastboot-windows reboot'

Your device will now reboot, MCRi will see the /system partition is empty and flash the MCR r2 tar.gz to the /system partition before rebooting to start the normal device startup. So the sequence after the 'fastboot reboot' will be android logo -> orange logo (few mins wait while it installs) -> android logo -> orange logo (few mins wait while the dex files are built for a first boot) -> all good.

:lol:

P

I can see in on the SD as mcri-system.tar.gz. I cut n pasted from page 1 to be sure I got it right!

try taking the .gz off if hide known file types is on, on your setup the .gz wont show making you rename the file mcri-system.tar.gz.gz

??? maybe

try taking the .gz off if hide known file types is on, on your setup the .gz wont show making you rename the file mcri-system.tar.gz.gz

??? maybe

This happened when I downloaded the image. Windows appended an extra .gz to the end of the file.

Guest tambourine_man

OK I will try that when I get home.

At work at the moment.

My SD card seems to have gone a bit odd, so I will need to format it. Should it be FAT32 or NTFS or what? And it doesn't matter that the only file on the SD card will be the MCR r2 system image ?

Thanks very much Paul and everyone else, really appreciate you taking the time to help me out of this fix.

??? maybe

Thats a good point, didn't think of that, could well be the problem :lol:

Guest mannybianco
It's rooted, so there are lots of market apps that will enable wifi tether. (Barnacle works on my rooted SF)

Back in the day when I played around with my HTC Dream/ADP1, a rooted device was no guarantee for being able to wifi tether. I think it was a case of missing netfilters/iptables or something in the kernel. Maybe that's all different now though, it's been like a year since I last changed the ROM on the Dream.

Guest daniel_owen_uk
Back in the day when I played around with my HTC Dream/ADP1, a rooted device was no guarantee for being able to wifi tether. I think it was a case of missing netfilters/iptables or something in the kernel. Maybe that's all different now though, it's been like a year since I last changed the ROM on the Dream.

I rooted (with one click), installed barnacle, it asked for SU permission, granted, connected my netbook, browsed net.

Was fairly simple tbh.

Guest mannybianco
I rooted (with one click), installed barnacle, it asked for SU permission, granted, connected my netbook, browsed net.

Was fairly simple tbh.

Marvelous!

Thanks for confirming. Cheers!

Guest steve1221

I'm sure yesterday there was a link on page one to an app on XDA to flash the rom? Or am I losing my mind (more than likely)?

As I can't remove superuser.apk (and I've tried, I really, really have) I can't use MCRi bootloader to flash it...

No, you're getting confused, MCRi still runs if Superuser.apk is there, it just doesn't run the superboot root part if Superuser.apk is there.

Being rooted won't stop you flashing on a new ROM (obviously)... :lol:

P

Everything is done on the PC.

P

Sorry, very embarrassing, but Im not good with dos........

I am having trouble getting the img file to run.

The command line is pointing to the directry with the extracted fastboot to run, but I cant actually run it. Could someone show me the correct syntax to run the img file please?

Guest daniel_owen_uk
Sorry, very embarrassing, but Im not good with dos........

I am having trouble getting the img file to run.

The command line is pointing to the directry with the extracted fastboot to run, but I cant actually run it. Could someone show me the correct syntax to run the img file please?

* Download the MCR r2 system image (mcri-system-blade-mcr-r2.tar.gz) and copy it to your microSD card as mcri-system.tar.gz. Put the microSD in your phone.

* Turn device on in bootloader mode (power on with volume up)

* From a command prompt, run 'fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img'

* From a command prompt, run 'fastboot-windows reboot'

Without the ' symbol obviously both fastboot and img file need to be in same directory

Guest steve1221
No, you're getting confused, MCRi still runs if Superuser.apk is there, it just doesn't run the superboot root part if Superuser.apk is there.

Being rooted won't stop you flashing on a new ROM (obviously)... :lol:

P

Ok, then I am confused.

Last night I was told that if Superuser was running then MCRi wouldn't install.

I certainly can't make it flash, I tried for something like 5 hours last night and it's having none it.

If I delete superuser after a reboot it's back (rooted or not).

The updates on the root of the sd and renamed (I've tried 3 sd's now).

Don't know what else to do ?

The filename on the update must be wrong. If Superuser is 'coming back' then MCRi is definitely running.

The file should be mcri-system.tar.gz on your SD card. Once the flash has happened, MCRi renames it to mcri-system.tar.gz.flashed. If that's not happening, it's named wrong!

Check you have 'show hidden file extensions' turned on in Windows when you are naming the file.

P