[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tambourine_man

Paul

Followed your instructions as shown in the attached picture and yet still the phone is hanging on the Orange logo.

I presume this must therefore be an SD card issue? I will try another SD shortly.

Any other possible suggestions?

post-765848-1285687619_thumb.jpg

My guess is that the filename isn't right on the SD card. Do you see it do the first reboot after the Orange logo appears or does it just stay there? Has the filename on the sdcard been renamed by MCRi from mcri-system.tar.gz to mcri-system.tar.gz.flashed? If not, it's not flashed.

Double check the filename, ensure you have 'hide known extensions' disabled in Explorer.

P

Guest steve1221
The filename on the update must be wrong. If Superuser is 'coming back' then MCRi is definitely running.

The file should be mcri-system.tar.gz on your SD card. Once the flash has happened, MCRi renames it to mcri-system.tar.gz.flashed. If that's not happening, it's named wrong!

Check you have 'show hidden file extensions' turned on in Windows when you are naming the file.

P

Of course !

I am a complete idiot. Just shows you can't see what's in front of your face.

Thanks again Paul, flashed and done. You are a total star.

Guest tambourine_man

Man...

It just doesn't seem to want to work.

Here is a screenshot showing the file on my SD card, I'm sure it has been renamed correctly,

And yet still after following the steps, it reboots, shows the Anroid green figure, then goes to the orange logo and does nothing!

I have left it for a good 5 - 10 minutes and nothing. You said it should only take a couple of minutes.

Three SD cards have been tried, although one point might be that I don't have a SD card reader I am using a phone and accessing the SD card through windows explore. I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue though? Any thoughts again? The very first time I tried at one point I do think the file on the SD card said flashed, but since then it has been hanging at the orange logo.

After taking the SD card out there seems to have been no change from how it was.

Sorry once again, and thanks again!

post-765848-1285690344_thumb.png

Thanks for the help so far guys, but i'm getting nowhere fast.

Problems I have:

1 Xp can't install USB driver for the phone, though I can access the SD card.

2 I am totally stuck at the stage of running the fastboot and r2 Superboot / MCRi....... Can't run them from a file on the PC, copied them to the phones SD card, but cannot access that via command prompt to run them.

So annoying, because I just know this should be dead easy.

Do I run fast boot MCRi from the phones SD card, or from the PC? Also, having no drivers installed, is this the problem?

To clarify, its not flashing the ROM im stuck on, its the stuff that needs installing before then. :lol:

Edited by finnboy

Man...

It just doesn't seem to want to work.

Here is a screenshot showing the file on my SD card, I'm sure it has been renamed correctly,

And yet still after following the steps, it reboots, shows the Anroid green figure, then goes to the orange logo and does nothing!

I have left it for a good 5 - 10 minutes and nothing. You said it should only take a couple of minutes.

Three SD cards have been tried, although one point might be that I don't have a SD card reader I am using a phone and accessing the SD card through windows explore. I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue though? Any thoughts again? The very first time I tried at one point I do think the file on the SD card said flashed, but since then it has been hanging at the orange logo.

After taking the SD card out there seems to have been no change from how it was.

Sorry once again, and thanks again!

Unzip the fastboot zip, anb when it's at the Orange logo, do the following from the command prompt...

adb shell mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /mcri/sd
adb shell ls /mcri/sd[/code]

and post the output here!

P

OK, the fast boot image etc is in this folder:

J:\ANDROID Stuff\fastboot\actual fastboot thats on my PC's J drive obviously.

So this is what I am trying to input into the command prompt (its already on the J directory)

START fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img

My syntax is wrong somewhere, not even sure if START is the correct command. :lol:

(Green Android pic is up on the phone all fine and dandy, so its not that)

Edited by finnboy

Guest steve1221
OK, the fast boot image etc is in this folder:

J:\ANDROID Stuff\fastboot\actual fastboot thats on my PC's J drive obviously.

So this is what I am trying to input into the command prompt (its already on the J directory)

START fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img

My syntax is wrong somewhere, not even sure if START is the correct command. :lol:

(Green Android pic is up on the phone all fine and dandy, so its not that)

Drop the word start and just enter (or cut and paste) fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r2.img

That's all you need.

Sorry Paul, posted at the same time...

Edited by steve1221

OK, got syntax right finally and dos box says "waiting for device"..... so getting there. I hadnt copied the img file into the same folder as the fast boot stuff..... i,ll go shoot myself later.....

Ok, getting there, but the SF is just sitting there with the green Android pic while the dos box just keeps waiting for device.

Guessing its due to not having drivers for Android installed? Searched all over the show to find a driver to install but whatever I try it wont recognise the driver, even when phone is in debug mode (thats if it should be?)

Thanks guys!

Edited by finnboy

Guest steve1221
OK, got syntax right finally and dos box says "waiting for device"..... so getting there. I hadnt copied the img file into the same folder as the fast boot stuff..... i,ll go shoot myself later.....

Ok, getting there, but the SF is just sitting there with the green Android pic while the dos box just keeps waiting for device.

Guessing its due to not having drivers for Android installed? Searched all over the show to find a driver to install but whatever I try it wont recognise the driver, even when phone is in debug mode (thats if it should be?)

Thanks guys!

When I was having problem I was told that "waiting for device" was a sign that the drivers hadn't been installed correctly.

Damn, will have to carry on the hunt for drivers then. I thought this was only an issue on 64bit or W7 etc.?

I am on "vanilla" XP... but the damn drivers wont install.

Guest tambourine_man
Unzip the fastboot zip, anb when it's at the Orange logo, do the following from the command prompt...

adb shell ls /mcri/sd

and post the output here!

P

Do i type that when i am c:\users\xxxxx\fastboot ?

As when I try that command I get the following

"'adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

(see screenshot)

post-765848-1285692721_thumb.jpg

Guest tambourine_man

Just noticed something,

In my device manager the ZTE HSUSB drivers are not installed? Guessing this might be something...

badword sorry if this is it and i have wasted your time without checking first. What do you think?

Do i type that when i am c:\users\xxxxx\fastboot ?

As when I try that command I get the following

"'adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

(see screenshot)

Try adb-windows.

P

Just noticed something,

In my device manager the ZTE HSUSB drivers are not installed? Guessing this might be something...

badword sorry if this is it and i have wasted your time without checking first. What do you think?

Try doing an update drivers automatically via Windows Update.

P

You need to install the drivers posted on this forum, assuming you're running win7, i don't know if they will work on xp or not. They require a manual install btw, via device manager

You need to install the drivers posted on this forum, assuming you're running win7, i don't know if they will work on xp or not. They require a manual install btw, via device manager

I'll give them a shot! Thanks.

Guest technomonkey

Hi Paul

I am also stuck on the orange logo and don't know where to go from here.

I tried the following commands

adb shell ls /mcri/sd

And it says device not found

Guest technomonkey
You're missing drivers...

Did you flash MCRi OK? Has the tar.gz been renamed by the MCRi install process?

P

I'm not sure I don't have a card reader. So can't see the files without doing it through the phone

You're missing drivers...

Did you flash MCRi OK? Has the tar.gz been renamed by the MCRi install process?

P

Cant even get that far yet, still trying to get the MCRi to run.... but just get waiting for device, due to no drivers I guess, as you say.

Unfortunately there seem to be no drivers for 32 bit XP, that cant be right though, surely?

I see some people on other forums are having the same issue.......... cant find an XP driver.

Edited by finnboy

what is the point of a custom ROM? not being rude just not had a smartphone before.

There's no point if your happy with the phone the way it is, but it enables you to get rid of all the orange branded stuff that most ppl dont use, plus it looks ugly. But as Paul has stated he adds tweaks here and there to get the rom to run more smoothly/quickly, plus as time goes by, and more development is done, more stuff will get added allowing more customisation, such as themes, and black status bars, also all the latest kernel updates and stuff.

No one is forcing anyone to customise, it's just compulsary :lol: