[OLED] 06/Dec r4: MoDaCo Custom ROM (MCR) downloads + Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Sere83

Hey guys, getting my SF soon, considering rooting and flashing the custom rom although I might wait for R3. I have used me friends though, great little phone... just wondered though does the Rom improve the UI lag at all?

Guest Chris_04

Hey, 1st post here.

I successfully managed to get the rom installed eventually ha.. (After an hour of thinking i had ruined the phone)

Not really sure what happened but it would stop at the orange logo for ever and not do anything, i eventually took the sd card out and put it into the computer took a backup and then deleted everything and put just the custom rom on to the card and 2 mins later my phone was back up and running, not really sure how i was just at the stage of trying anything as i thought i had ruined the phone lol!

Quite pleased that i managed to get the rom on (pleased to have the working phone tbh)

But the custom rom is excellent, phone feels and looks so much better without all the orange bloatware!

Thanks.

Hi,

just wanted to add my thanks to Paul and others, especially for your patience when explaining things to noobs like me! I'm another HUKDer who was pointed in this forum's direction, and it's pleasing to see such a helpful and friendly atmosphere on here. I put on the custom ROM yesterday and it's great, have since had wifi issues (drop outs) when the phone sleeps but am closely tracking this thread.

Great site, I thought it was in another language when I first arrived but am slowly understanding you all... :)

Guest £note

Another big Thank you to Paul and others for the great information here. I've managed to root and flash my new Blade without issues thanks to the great tutorial. Great phone, now even better with the custom rom and no sign of all that Orange stuff :) Thanks again.

Changelog

r3

• Hardware acceleration enabled
  • Core app updates (Maps etc.)
  • MoDaCo Boot Logo
  • Minor WiFi changes
  • A few other minor tweaks and changes to juice up performance and maximise compatability

Changelog

r3

• Hardware acceleration enabled
  • Core app updates (Maps etc.)
  • MoDaCo Boot Logo
  • Minor WiFi changes
  • A few other minor tweaks and changes to juice up performance and maximise compatability

Great stuff, thank you Paul. Do the minor wifi changes attempt to fix the dropping out problem experienced upon sleep mode?

For the power users - if you use the MCRi R3 boot image with this ROM, you can start putting scripts in /system/etc/init.d to run on startup.

This means you can start playing with A2SD etc. (altho it's probably best to wait until we get a EXT3 friendly kernel).

P

Guest Davie1888

Being a bit thick here do I just download the new r3 superboot and run 'fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img command for this update or do I have to go through the whole video process again.

Guest balb0wa

will this solve the o2 mms issue though?

Oh, just remembered I updated the APN file in r3 so you shouldn't have to set everything up manually now! :)

P

Being a bit thick here do I just download the new r3 superboot and run 'fastboot-windows flash boot boot.blade.superboot.mcri.r3.img command for this update or do I have to go through the whole video process again.

If you already have superboot on you don't need to update to r3 unless you want the extra features, older versions should flash this update ok.

Oh, just remembered I updated the APN file in r3 so you shouldn't have to set everything up manually now! :)

P

Great, which networks did you add?

T-Mob?

O2?

Ok, I updated and benchmark from the market now shows graphics performance of 9.14 vs 6.59 (stock) , however this is waaaay short of a hero (121) any idea why, does the sf have next to no hw acceleration?

Strangely the benchmark program on the hero has a different icon to the one on the sf, not sure if it would produce different results though.

Guest Davie1888
If you already have superboot on you don't need to update to r3 unless you want the extra features, older versions should flash this update ok.

What I was asking is superboot the only file I put on to upgrade from r2 to r3 as I would like to try it out for the new MMS settings, as i'm on o2 and they don't work.

Guest balb0wa
No idea. Not on O2. Works for me on T-Mo tho. :)

P

well i put r3 on the sd card , how can i tell if its updated? should it say r3 in about phone in the settings?

DPP_0022.JPG

could I download this straight to the phone rename and reboot?

Too impaitent to wait till I get back home to a proper PC:)

As long as you have superboot, just did the same myself.

What I was asking is superboot the only file I put on to upgrade from r2 to r3 as I would like to try it out for the new MMS settings, as i'm on o2 and they don't work.

No they are 2 separate updates, one for superboot (which you don't need if you already have superboot r2) and one for the system (which is what you want)