Help with getting started.

Guest Affliction2102

Guest Affliction2102

Hi all, just got myself a samsung omnia i900 off a friend today. he was with the 3 and the phone is now network unlocked and i am with Virgin Mobile. i was wondering quite a few things...

Vers Info:

PDA : i900MBIC2/MBIC2

PHONE: i900XXIB2

WINMO 6.1 Build 20270.1.3.1

Basically here is what i would like some help with.

1. i want to install WINMO 6.5 and need to know which rom gives me the best for that.

2. am i right in understanding that the different custom roms basically just change appearance and apps that are installed.

3. where do i go from here and what do i need. ( i have a copy of XP)

4. which version/link do i use for VMWare.

5. which Modem Package and Upgrade software do i use for my phone.

6.i basically just want a rom with nice looking icons and i nice flow and good keyboard and just standard apps and stuff like PDF and funky fun apps.

Thanks heaps in advance. Sorry for being a noob. first time with a WINMO phone.

Guest Alien-Tech
Hi all, just got myself a samsung omnia i900 off a friend today. he was with the 3 and the phone is now network unlocked and i am with Virgin Mobile. i was wondering quite a few things...

Vers Info:

1. i want to install WINMO 6.5 and need to know which rom gives me the best for that.

2. am i right in understanding that the different custom roms basically just change appearance and apps that are installed.

6.i basically just want a rom with nice looking icons and i nice flow and good keyboard and just standard apps and stuff like PDF and funky fun apps.

Well at least you made some effort in assembling new and transparent post. But this is how things go with forums. You read a few pinned topics with flashy titles so you can learn how to flash your phone. Next thing you do is look up for the most readed posts and updated ones. It usually means they are the most popular ones.

Guest andrew.mazlim

Vers Info:

Okay... Since you're very "newbie" i900er, let me answer your questions (many times, same questions are written):

1. There ISN'T such "best/perfect rom for me", since EVERYBODY wants completely different things to do with his i900!!! So, the ONLY choice you have, is to start... flashing roms, keeping/playing them for 2-3 days and slowly, you'll find a decent rom. IF YOU ARE LUCKY, you may find the "best" rom for you, quite sooner that you may believe. From my part, I spend... a year (at least!) with OVER 200+ flashing, to find that I want an UltraLite rom with M2Dv2 as user interface and S2U2 as lockscreen utility.

2. Not exactly. As I found it soon enough (and wrote/told to many "newbies" like I was), the first thing you must understand is, this phone is no more than a Windows OS' PDA with... phone/GPS part. So, since you are a quite experiant Windows desktop PC user, you know that when you formating and instaling from scrach the Windows, there are... millions of apps/utilities/tools and many-many services running in the background - as much as many registry entries/settings... So, in a WinMo device, there is THE SAME thing! If you DON'T like to customize/play with it, leave it alone with the official rom and don't bother yourself... If you DO like to "puss it", to "overclock" i900's powers/capabilities, you need to EDIT the Windows you running. So, that's what a custom/"cooked" rom is all about... A new set-up system, with different settings/registry entries/TWEAKS and many more, as well as VISUAL DIFFERENCES - as you noticed.

3. You need to search this forum and find the proper topics ("How to flash a rom for newbies"... for example), INSTALL ALL THE PROPER DRIVERS (!!!!!!!), disable ALL the background services (Firewall, screensavers, etc.), using UPS for any unfortuned power drop (or do it in a laptop!), choose your rom, double-click on the file, close your device, open it again... press the button on the rom's pop-up menu... and ENJOY THE RIDE!

4. Don't now about that.

5. Didn't quite follow what you mean.

6. If you need simple things and NICE VISUALS, my opinion is to use a Lite rom with M2Dv2 UI. If you WANT TO SPEND SOME TIME TO CUSTOMIZE IT YOURSELF, use (like I do) an UltraLite rom and choose YOURSELF what visuals your rom will have.

GENERALY, my mate, the BEST rom for everybody is... the one that he'll "cook" it himself!

Guest ronaldb3

And another great answer from Andrew. (see above)

Below is a copy of my comments to a similar question recently:

The first "Pinned Topic" at the beginning of the list of topics for this forum is titled "How To Flash Your i900 Omnia Phone".

All you have to do is start looking at the beginning of the list of topics for this forum and you will find a lot of other useful threads and tutorials.

And use SEARCH.

Ron...

Edited by ronaldb3

Guest Affliction2102

hi thanks for your help guys one last quick question. the build number ie. 23... i found a rom i like and it has about ten or fifteen different build numbers and one is 28... which i have not seen elsewhere. i read the post on the COM meanings and it said nothing about 28... roms. just wondering does that basically just equate to different version of a rom someone has made. cheers.