[AlphaRev] Public release S-OFF HTC Desire GSM

Guest IEFtm

Guest Elbereth
Hmmm...there is no Convert EXT2 -> EXT3 anymore.

Gonna have to search for the command.

"Converting" to Ext3 from Ext2 is just a matter of activating the journal for the partition with: tune2fs -j

I now have S-OFF via this method. If I want to theme my phone with a new framework-res.apk do I still need to sign it and create a flashable update.zip or can I just adb push an unsigned file to /system/framework/ ???

Thanks in advance

David P

Guest lnoormohamed
Have´t tried, but I can´t see any problems with that.

thanks for the info but im stuck.

im new to cmd

i want to get the stock splash back on the phone can you tell me how to do it. i keep getting error: cannot load fastboot flash splash1 desire_stock_splash1.img

EDIT Nevermind

got one more question how can i edit that splash because i want to add some info on it.

Edited by lnoormohamed

Guest Stelard

Looks like it has worked for me too.

EDIT:

I was hoping getting S-OFF would stop the bootloader from doing that annoying thing where it comes up with the menu, pauses for a second or two, then briefly flashes up 3 or 4 error messages in green about missing zip files, before returning to the menu and allowing me to select 'RECOVERY'. I assume that has to do with the way unrEVOked was able to allow me to boot into ClockworkMod recovery without being able to flash a recovery ROM?

Anyone know how to stop it doing that? It's annoying. :lol: Tho admittedly less so now that we have the reboot option in MCR r9.

Edited by Stelard

Teething problems with VMware and my USB device, but that was fine. The next was a bit messier.

Running this patch

1-left my phone unbootable (in the USB debug screen before boot?)

2-mangled all recovery images

3-took a while

4-gave me root/S-off

Had the same problem, I used android sdk tools to flash back recovery image true android SDK tools

I did like this:

1. downloded amon_ra 1.7.0.1 R5.1, named it to amon.img

2. put it in android sdk tools, tools folder

3 Opend a command prompt in tools folder

4. got phone in fastboot mode, and connected it

5. typed: fastboot flash recovery amon.img

6. in recovery, choose the USB disk option

7. copy the update.zip from

http://android.modaco.com/content/htc-desi...d-b0rked-fixed/

8. reboot into recovery again to recognise the newly copied file

9. apply the update.zip

10. reboot; system now bootable again.

Method far from perfect, but I have S-OFF and I can ro/rw my /system partition in the live O/S. Finally. Feels dirty to have hboot 0.93 though, after so long with 0.75

Guest Tebo2K

Hi folks,

A bit of a problem here as I can't get into recovery...

I have downloaded amon_ra 1.7.0.1 R5.1 and renamed it to amon.img

I rebooted the phone while holding volume down, then chose fastboot from the options there.

So far, so good, plug USB cable into phone and the phone recognises it....

at command prompt I typed 'fastboot flash recovery amon.img' - this gave an error - no such command...

adb devices shows no device attached - where am I going wrong?

Iain

ps. adb works fine when the phone has booted up normally

edit: never mind - I am an idiot - when I rooted the phone I had a folder on my PC with various batch files and adb, I was just in the wrong folder.... DOH!

Edited by Tebo2K

Guest hazi1964

Hmm, been reading this thread plus the AlphaRev page.

Having read it a few times over, I am still not clear on what I need to do.

I would like to know, do I actually have to burn the downloaded file to cd? I get the impression that's not necessarily necessary and that it's just one of the methods that can be used.

If I am right, if I burn the cd, do I run it with my computer fully booted up? (I know it's probably obvious but I don't want to make any mistakes). I know my phone needs to be booted and useable and plugged in to usb.

Is it just a case of connecting useable phone to computer and running the cd? Anything else that needs to be done or is needed for this?

This is the paragraph I keep reading over and over:

So how does this work?

The image provided is an ISO image. You can either burn that on CD, and boot it. Instructions will be provided when you run the CD.

The actual tool is packaged in a Linux livecd, to ensure maximum compatibility.

On a sidenote: yes, you should be able to run this in VMWare or Virtualbox, as long as you enable the USB device to be routed to the livecd running.

Do I need VMWare or Virtualbox? Is that just another method that can be used?

I am running windows Vista. I have downloaded but not installed as yet .Net Framework 4, from what I have read I need this installed on my computer? Can somebody confirm if this is correct for me please?

I would very much appreciate confirmation that I am understanding these instructions (or not as the case may be) before I attempt this, I don't want to brick my phone. lol.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can clarify this for me.

Alison

Guest aslsthlm
Hmm, been reading this thread plus the AlphaRev page.

Having read it a few times over, I am still not clear on what I need to do.

I would like to know, do I actually have to burn the downloaded file to cd? I get the impression that's not necessarily necessary and that it's just one of the methods that can be used.

If I am right, if I burn the cd, do I run it with my computer fully booted up? (I know it's probably obvious but I don't want to make any mistakes). I know my phone needs to be booted and useable and plugged in to usb.

Is it just a case of connecting useable phone to computer and running the cd? Anything else that needs to be done or is needed for this?

This is the paragraph I keep reading over and over:

So how does this work?

The image provided is an ISO image. You can either burn that on CD, and boot it. Instructions will be provided when you run the CD.

The actual tool is packaged in a Linux livecd, to ensure maximum compatibility.

On a sidenote: yes, you should be able to run this in VMWare or Virtualbox, as long as you enable the USB device to be routed to the livecd running.

Do I need VMWare or Virtualbox? Is that just another method that can be used?

I am running windows Vista. I have downloaded but not installed as yet .Net Framework 4, from what I have read I need this installed on my computer? Can somebody confirm if this is correct for me please?

I would very much appreciate confirmation that I am understanding these instructions (or not as the case may be) before I attempt this, I don't want to brick my phone. lol.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can clarify this for me.

Alison

Burn it, boot up your computer with it, but make sure it boots the cd first, and follow the instructions.

Guest spammyspam
how do you update your gmail after you got the s-off? just turning root to r/w and installing gmail from market says unsuccessful installation.

I thought this would be a quick fix too. Seems not.

Guest Subject Delta

The way I solved that was to open the terminal and enter

mount -o remount,rw /system

Worked for updating Gmail, and also for L.E.S.

Guest hazi1964
Burn it, boot up your computer with it, but make sure it boots the cd first, and follow the instructions.

Thanks, will try it out tomorrow.

Alison

Guest vertti
I thought this would be a quick fix too. Seems not.

1) set /system to r/w (with root explorer for example)

2) use titanium backup to uninstall gmail

3) restart phone

4) do (1) again

5) install gmail from market

6) set /system back to readonly

you are all set.

How do you change the image to the stock one after updating hboot.

I have read the instructions but couldn't make heads or tails from it.

Edit: I need info for linux not windows because the SDK tool doesn't work on my windows x64 system.

Edited by bpivk

Guest Jagdish
1) set /system to r/w (with root explorer for example)

2) use titanium backup to uninstall gmail

3) restart phone

4) do (1) again

5) install gmail from market

6) set /system back to readonly

you are all set.

It is not neccesary to set system to r/w, thats the whole idea of S-off isnt it?

anyways, i didnt set it to r/w, just go to system\app folder (using Root explorer or estrongs) find gmail.apk, delete it(or move it to sd card if you rather make sure its working first), restart your phone, install the newer version via market, and youre done.

Edited by Jagdish

Guest spammyspam

Neither Astro or Estrongs can delete this file.

Followed instructions in #64 and still no luck.

I thought s-off would allow me to delete/create files in /system? Anyway I can test s-off?

Edited by spammyspam

Guest giorgisp

NEED HELP!!

Today I installed the AlphaRev thing successfuly and now my Desire is S-OFF and I can boot normally into the ROM but I can't access the recovery of my device!

I have tried to reboot into recovery from ROM Manager but it stays at the boot picture and does nothing and I have to pull the battery. The same if I hold the volume down, press power and then select Recovery from the menu.

Please help me! I need recovery! :lol: B)

Guest StuMcBill
NEED HELP!!

Today I installed the AlphaRev thing successfuly and now my Desire is S-OFF and I can boot normally into the ROM but I can't access the recovery of my device!

I have tried to reboot into recovery from ROM Manager but it stays at the boot picture and does nothing and I have to pull the battery. The same if I hold the volume down, press power and then select Recovery from the menu.

See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...p;postcount=406

Guest giorgisp
Thank you

It did not worked! On cmd it said "sending... OKAY" and "writing... OKAY" then I selected bootloader and then recovery on the phone but the same thing again!

Guest aslsthlm
NEED HELP!!

Had the same problem, I used android sdk tools to flash recovery image

I did like this:

1. downloded amon_ra 1.7.0.1 R5 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=721792

2. put it in android sdk tools, tools folder, rename it to amon

3. Open up a command prompt in tools folder

4. get phone in fastboot mode, plug it in

5. type: fastboot flash recovery amon.img

6. flash

7. after done type: fastboot reboot

You are done..