[AlphaRev] Public release S-OFF HTC Desire GSM

Guest IEFtm

Guest sucramco
Are there any problems booting into recovery with AlphaRev? Particularly Fake-Flash? Selecting "recovery" from HBOOT now sends me to Joker (instead of the red triangle). As such I now up and power doesn't do anything, and I need to pull the battery in order to boot normally.

Am I missing something? Do we have to flash a proper recoveries now?

I would read through the whole thread, then you will get a good understanding of what needs to be done. Pay particular attention to the person I say thankyou to. There you will find everything you need to know.

Guest spammyspam

Thanks for the patronising reply :). I've been on the thread since the start, but it doesn't answer my question. Let me be a bit clearer - do we HAVE to flash recoveries now? Is fake flash no longer an option?

Guest Subject Delta
Thanks for the patronising reply :). I've been on the thread since the start, but it doesn't answer my question. Let me be a bit clearer - do we HAVE to flash recoveries now? Is fake flash no longer an option?

You have been able to flash recovery files for quite a while now with unrEVOked. What this does allow, however, is for you to flash recovery files with fastboot

Guest spammyspam

That was my understanding, except I didn't want to flash a recovery via either method. I liked having it loaded from a zip file on my SD card. If I can no longer do that, then fair enough... Seems the case!

Guest Subject Delta
That was my understanding, except I didn't want to flash a recovery via either method. I liked having it loaded from a zip file on my SD card. If I can no longer do that, then fair enough... Seems the case!

You can still use fake flash if you want to, however having a real flash simplifies matters and is generally safer

Guest spammyspam
You can still use fake flash if you want to, however having a real flash simplifies matters and is generally safer

Well I've flashed my own recovery in the meantime (it was super easy), but for completion can you explain how one would use fake flash? The red triangle never seemed to appear, and up+power never worked at any point either.

Guest sucramco

Yeah sorry, I should have seen how long/many times you have posted to know you know what you are talking about.

I flashed a recovery, but still use fake flash.

If this is right, I still have the update zip file from clockworks rom manager on my sd. When I go into recovery, it goes straight amon ra, I click flash, then flash sd: update.zip. This brings me straight into clockwork recovery (which is v2.5.0.1) from there every thing is normal to me.

When you do it through Rom Manager it goes straight to clockwork, I think the amon ra recovery boots this (but I may be wrong). Although Rom Manager boots into 2.5.0.7, which is the latest.

So I really need the new update.zip on the sd.

For me this is all good because I was stuck without a recovery until I flashed the new one, and then was able to use fake flash again.

Obviously I am no expert, but it works for me.

Update: had a brainwave. Using astro opened the clockwork folder copied the recovery update zip, deleted the update zip in the root of the sd. Then renamed recovery update to update. Hey presto I have it updated. LOL.

Edited by sucramco

Guest spammyspam

No worries, I wasn't too upset :).

Any reason why you're using fake flash instead of flashing it directly? I wanted to avoid flashing altogether, but now that I have I don't see the need of ever going back to fakeflash (regardless of whether I use Clockwork or Amon or whatever).

nice one.

just done with virtualbox, lol had to select usb device at each step. just kept picking the first android device, sometimes list shows more than one device.

im still using clockworkmod recovery loaded from zip file on my sd card.

Guest Subject Delta
No real reason, just that I am used to it.

There is nothing you can do with fake flash that you can't do with a permanent flash, in fact using a permanent flash removes a step from the process

Guest sucramco
There is nothing you can do with fake flash that you can't do with a permanent flash, in fact using a permanent flash removes a step from the process

To be fair I have not had much chance to use the permanent recovery (amonRa) I installed. When Paul updates the R9 or starts the R10, I will give it a go.

Flashed it in VMware under Win7. Stuck waiting for step 3 to complete for 15 minutes. Just the white HTC screen. Crossed my fingers and pulled the battery in the end. Was greeted with the Joker, booted up just fine :)

i read from xda that its possible to upgrade (from 1.2 i have) to 1.5 - which covers some "erase issue" - by fastboot flashing

how do i do that, can't find an img to flash, inside the iso is only a ALPHA.gz with an ALPHA inside

any hints?

edit: sorry found it!

Edited by woti17

i read from xda that its possible to upgrade (from 1.2 i have) to 1.5 - which covers some "erase issue" - by fastboot flashing

how do i do that, can't find an img to flash, inside the iso is only a ALPHA.gz with an ALPHA inside

any hints?

edit: sorry found it!

Just flash the 1.5 Alpharev Image Hboot using fastboot.

fastboot flash hboot bravo_alphaspl.img

MD5Sum: 2092edb4aa79638199e3165a99896b0f

You can find everything on the Alpharev page!

now with system r/w i wonder if there is something useful to do with my 60MB free system storage?

move the dalvik cache back from sd?

any ideas?

Partition table for Deodexed Sense roms is now available :)

180M /system, rest is divided over /cache and /data. No need for dalvikcache2sd anymore:)

Partition table for Deodexed Sense roms is now available :)

180M /system, rest is divided over /cache and /data. No need for dalvikcache2sd anymore:)

thanks, i flashed it and have now (aura rom 7.9)

/dev/block/mtdblock3 174.5M 165.2M 9.3M 95% /data/local/mnt/system_ro

/dev/block/mtdblock5 175.9M 61.2M 114.7M 35% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 87.3M 1.6M 85.6M 2% /cache

tmpfs 8.0M 0 8.0M 0% /app-cache

unionfs 350.4M 235.7M 114.7M 67% /data/local/mnt/system_union

unionfs 350.4M 235.7M 114.7M 67% /system

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 934.2M 231.9M 654.8M 26% /system/sd

now i'm just looking for a way to get the cache used, dalvik cache is 107MB - wouldn't fit into /cache or is the dalvik-cache no fix size and takes what available?

originally i didn't want the unionfs and stripped down the aura rom to fit in system, now there is much space left in /system

i think there must be a way to get even more space in /data?

Edited by woti17

thanks, i flashed it and have now (aura rom 7.9)

/dev/block/mtdblock3 174.5M 165.2M 9.3M 95% /data/local/mnt/system_ro

/dev/block/mtdblock5 175.9M 61.2M 114.7M 35% /data

/dev/block/mtdblock4 87.3M 1.6M 85.6M 2% /cache

tmpfs 8.0M 0 8.0M 0% /app-cache

unionfs 350.4M 235.7M 114.7M 67% /data/local/mnt/system_union

unionfs 350.4M 235.7M 114.7M 67% /system

/dev/block/mmcblk0p2 934.2M 231.9M 654.8M 26% /system/sd

now i'm just looking for a way to get the cache used, dalvik cache is 107MB - wouldn't fit into /cache or is the dalvik-cache no fix size and takes what available?

originally i didn't want the unionfs and stripped down the aura rom to fit in system, now there is much space left in /system

i think there must be a way to get even more space in /data?

Make sure you remove the unionfs s*** :) S-OFF has no NAND lock, obviously.

I've been pondering the same thing about /cache. I might just do 180M /system, default /cache, rest to /data. Without the dalvikcache2sd script, it would be put on /data, which is fine, it doesn't really matter if it's on /cache or /data (both NAND).

I've been pondering the same thing about /cache. I might just do 180M /system, default /cache, rest to /data. Without the dalvikcache2sd script, it would be put on /data, which is fine, it doesn't really matter if it's on /cache or /data (both NAND).

That would be great, the large /cache partiton is a bit of a waste on Sense roms.

Make sure you remove the unionfs s*** :P S-OFF has no NAND lock, obviously.

just to get sure, unionfs can't make me loose s-off, can it? just to be sure. but i thought already about getting rid off because rootmanager seems confused with both unionfs rw and system rw.

the default cache was 40MB? i saw no more than 1,6MB used. the default android browser has max 6MB cache which it would have used in /cache if that would actually work on mcr r9.

anyway i'm quite happy with s-off now, and 180MB system (or 200MB), cache 40MB and rest data would be nicest.