WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

I also had the wifi problem on my San Francisco but it seems to be fixed. I called up Orange customer service and told the gentleman that the wifi would connect but keep disconnecting when the screen went to sleep. He said that he would send me some settings via text and that this could fix it. I received two texts almost immediately. The first gave to me details of how to sign up for BT open zone. The second just said that some settings had been sent and that I should delete the message and reboot the mobile. The man also said that he would put on my account a 250mb free monthly internet allowance for 12 months; I received a text confirming this (although the text said only 150mb not 250mb) and it also showed up as an extra on my online account (as 250mb). The wifi does now not disconnect and hopefully it will stay fixed. I also tried my new Orange pay monthly sim in the mobile and the wifo still works how it should.I have a Belkin N150 router by the way

Edited by oli949

Guest oh!dougal
I also had the wifi problem on my San Francisco but it seems to be fixed. I called up Orange customer service and told the gentleman that the wifi would connect but keep disconnecting when the screen went to sleep. He said that he would send me some settings via text and that this could fix it. I received two texts almost immediately. The first gave to me details of how to sign up for BT open zone. The second just said that some settings had been sent and that I should delete the message and reboot the mobile. The man also said that he would put on my account a 250mb free monthly internet allowance for 12 months; I received a text confirming this (although the text said only 150mb not 250mb) and it also showed up as an extra on my online account (as 250mb). The wifi does now not disconnect and hopefully it will stay fixed. I also tried my new Orange pay monthly sim in the mobile and the wifo still works how it should.I have a Belkin N150 router by the way

Interesting!

I'm sure a few folk on here would be interested to see a dump of your rom ...

Are you sure that they haven't just sent you something to prevent the computer actually going to sleep, and thus shutting down wifi? One tell-tale of that would be the front buttons being able to 'wake' the phone (they can only do that, for now at least, when it is only the screen that is off).

Also interesting that they should give you a monthly 'credit' as a sweetener. Isn't that a bit unusual on a PAYG phone?

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Magnets

Interesting but maybe your phone is just using 3g/data instead of wifi when the phone is sleeping? If there was a a fix, wouldn't orange just send it to all handsets?

Guest Nick Rhodes
There are a few issues so it depends what you have.

Really suggest you read through the thread although Blade WiFi Fix has helped me.

So far Blade Wifi Fix is flawless for my reconnect after sleep issue. I was using WiFi fixer but that still was not 100% perfect (it would after about 3 or 4 days stop working, requiring a reboot to work again).

I have double checked and Blade Wifi Fix is allowing my WiFi to sleep correctly (e.g. its not just another one of those fix by preventing sleep tools) and also it does not mindlessly reconnect after sleep even if not needed like some of the other Wifi fix tools.

Guest Arr Too

If it helps with any diagnosis, I've used Tasker to put mine into/out of Airplane [sic] mode when the screen turns off/on and that's (seemingly) a complete solution too (although maybe not a great one for most normal users!).

Guest Frankish

Airplane mode? So you can only send and receive calls and texts when your are actually using the phone? Does the Blade Wifi Fix really work? I mean does the phone still go to sleep properly?

Guest Nick Rhodes
Airplane mode? So you can only send and receive calls and texts when your are actually using the phone? Does the Blade Wifi Fix really work? I mean does the phone still go to sleep properly?

Blade fix appears to work well (so far). Yes my phone is sleeping properly. I have live monitoring on my router and I can see the WiFi connect drop when my phone sleeps.

Guest Arr Too
Airplane mode? So you can only send and receive calls and texts when your are actually using the phone?

Yeah -- I did mention it probably wasn't for 'normal' users. (My SanFran is a [very!] cheap GeoCaching tool -- I don't use the "phone" bit!)

Guest oh!dougal

Proposed Fix (not a work-around) - an alternative wifi chip driver

Posted by Stackrish here (for 2.1) http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1483645 (Its in a 2.2 thread - the 2.2 version is a few posts upthread)

Note that this CANNOT stop wifi going off during sleep - that is a sleep-power-policy matter that ZTE are aware of (but maybe not quite clear about, even now). Plug onto your charger or run MyLock (or play music) to prevent sleep (just go into screen-save) and then a wifi sleep policy of 'Never' should be obeyed

But,the different driver might, just might, help the phone to reconnect to wifi when it comes out of sleep.

Whisper it gently, but I think it just might be a BIG step in the right direction!

It reconnects quite quickly, for me, after sleep ... and I think its done something the standard driver didn't seem to do for me. After being out, using mobile data and then sleeping the phone, returning home and sitting down by the router, I think it just took itself back over to wifi a few seconds after waking up ... (and I've just checked and its worked properly again!) B)

Thanks Stackrish, this seems like progress!

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Acathla-

Flashed the new WiFi driver just now (one from here).

Initial tests are good. WiFi sleeps when the phone sleeps and although reconnection isn't instant when the phone wakes, it does seem to realise the connection isn't functioning and does seem to reconnect itself.

Although I may just have spoken too soon. I woke my phone and it got stuck in the 'unable to connect stage'.

Nope, I'm afraid it's not reconnecting as I wish. Back to the Blade WiFi fix app for me B)

Hi Everyone.

I have the Hungarian version of ZTE Blade, and had this wifi sleeps with screen, but does not reconnect on wake problem as well.

I have just noticed, that my phone is on wifi connection continously for like 3,5 hours, and the wifi has not slept, neither the connection broke during this time.

I think it is 'cause I have an exchange client running in active-sync mode, so something is keeping my wifi connection alive.

Not sure if this helps anyone, but I thought it might be a piece of info that might worth sharing.

btw, 3g/data is disabled since I've been home today.

Cheers!

Guest dizzytiz

I just installed Blade Wifi Fix off the Market and it has fixed the problem for me, in fact I think my wifi strength has improved following it (might just be imagining it though). No more disconnect after sleep mode.

Guest oh!dougal

I have just noticed, that my phone is on wifi connection continously for like 3,5 hours, and the wifi has not slept, neither the connection broke during this time.

I think it is 'cause I have an exchange client running in active-sync mode, so something is keeping my wifi connection alive.

Anything that prevents the phone from sleeping (just letting it screen-save only),( plus setting WiFi Sleep Never), will allow the wifi to stay on. But it will run your battery down.

So the easy thing to do is to run it from the charger (which will also prevent proper sleep).

I just installed Blade Wifi Fix off the Market and it has fixed the problem for me, in fact I think my wifi strength has improved following it (might just be imagining it though). No more disconnect after sleep mode.

Yes, you are imagining it!

All that app does is switch the wifi off and then on again when it fails to reconnect.

It can't change the signal strength!

Guest oh!dougal
Proposed Fix (not a work-around) - an alternative wifi chip driver

Posted by Stackrish here (for 2.1) http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1483645 (Its in a 2.2 thread - the 2.2 version is a few posts upthread)

Note that this CANNOT stop wifi going off during sleep - that is a sleep-power-policy matter that ZTE are aware of (but maybe not quite clear about, even now). Plug onto your charger or run MyLock (or play music) to prevent sleep (just go into screen-save) and then a wifi sleep policy of 'Never' should be obeyed

WiFi patch for 2.1

It seemed better for me. It even automagically changed back to wifi after using mobile data instead of hanging onto the 3g.

But it's just hung for me. "Scanning..." (and it didn't realise it was right beside my router). WiFi off and on again and it reconnected OK.

Sorry, but the reconnection issue hasn't been killed by the alternate driver.

Guest Magnets

Wardriving apps work fine with the screen turned off, so the wifi chip must still be powered, must just be a software problem. I hope ZTE fix it though!

Anyone know of any free apps that will activate the screen based on a timer?

Guest oh!dougal
Wardriving apps work fine with the screen turned off, so the wifi chip must still be powered, must just be a software problem. I hope ZTE fix it though!

Anyone know of any free apps that will activate the screen based on a timer?

Ummmm.

You may not be aware of the difference between 'sleep' and 'screen-save' -- in both the screen is off.

A simple test is to press a front button. If that rouses the machine, it was only in screen save, and running its battery down fairly quickly.

Any app that prevents the SF/Blade from sleeping and only lets it "screen save" has the same functionality (with wifi set to sleep "never").

Some apps do this inadvertently (like MyLock) and so cause the battery to run down rather fast.

External power (usb/charger) also gives screen-save, and prevents proper sleep.

In screen-save wifi can work -- this is well known.

In "proper sleep" the wifi chip is powered off.

We do not yet have a response from ZTE as to whether this is due to a hardware design issue, or whether they can fix it in software.

Regarding the timer question, that is exactly what the Alarm Clock apps are doing, isn't it?

Guest Magnets
Ummmm.

You may not be aware of the difference between 'sleep' and 'screen-save' -- in both the screen is off.

A simple test is to press a front button. If that rouses the machine, it was only in screen save, and running its battery down fairly quickly.

Any app that prevents the SF/Blade from sleeping and only lets it "screen save" has the same functionality (with wifi set to sleep "never").

Some apps do this inadvertently (like MyLock) and so cause the battery to run down rather fast.

External power (usb/charger) also gives screen-save, and prevents proper sleep.

In screen-save wifi can work -- this is well known.

In "proper sleep" the wifi chip is powered off.

We do not yet have a response from ZTE as to whether this is due to a hardware design issue, or whether they can fix it in software.

Regarding the timer question, that is exactly what the Alarm Clock apps are doing, isn't it?

Thanks, didn't know there was a difference.

I'm trying to use tunein radio as a radio alarm, but I would have to set the android alarm a few minutes before tunein so that wifi would connect (using timeriffic to activate wifi).

I posted a feature request to the developer of Timeriffic to add the option of activating the screen based on a timer, I presume the phone can wake itself from sleep to allow wifi to connect?

Guest oh!dougal
Thanks, didn't know there was a difference.

I'm trying to use tunein radio as a radio alarm, but I would have to set the android alarm a few minutes before tunein so that wifi would connect (using timeriffic to activate wifi).

I posted a feature request to the developer of Timeriffic to add the option of activating the screen based on a timer, I presume the phone can wake itself from sleep to allow wifi to connect?

Really simple solution would be to leave it on charge at your bedside. That way, the wifi can "Sleep: Never" -and- you have a fully charged phone in the morning ...

My wifi wont connect at all. Like Its constantly 'obtaining IP address'. When it does connect, I have disabled written in front of the connection name, what gives? Wifi blade fix zip didn't do the trick, nor has revertying to Flibblesans R3 and R2 ROM.

May have to go to 2.1 for a fix.

Guest Andrew1964

I use Fring as a chat and SIP client. It works fine on my Nokia n95, but with Wifi turning off when the SF goes to sleep it stops receiving calls and IMs. I can get it to work if I use the Wifi Keep Alive widget with options 3 and 4 enabled but the battery only lasts about half a day. I guess I don't have any other options, I just have to live with the short battery life? ;)

This wifi issue is really pi55ing me off. I dont own a blade but i bought the wife one and she keeps giving me earache about it !

Blade fix is great but it doesnt work 100% of the time, hopefully a proper fix appears soon.

Guest oh!dougal
Does the blade wifi fix need applied to Paul's custom froyo ROM?, or is it already included?

Cheers

Its not a fix!

Its an auto-workaround.

If you can reconnect by wifi off then on again, it'll help, because that's what it does. (The clever bit is only doing it when needed!)

And the Sept-build 2.2 leak (built on by Paul) still has the same problem.

Guest Nikban1

1st post so big HI to everybody.

Purchased 3 san franciscos on the 4th Dec 1 grey and 2 white for the wife and the kids for christmas. The wifes white one was used stright away by putting her contract sim in. Everything has been ok other than the wifi re connection after screen sleep so got one of the mentioned apps to just turn off and back on the wifi when screen turned on and all been ok.

Today i have been setting the kids up ready for christmas and after putting the sims in down came 7 messages from orange usual welcome, credit available etc etc .......

one of the messages was an update saying to delete the message when read and turn the phone off then back on, which i did. Now the reason for the post is what i have noticed while messing with the phones is that neither of the kids phones ( 1xwhite TFT and 1 X grey amoled) have lost wifi connection when turned back on after screen sleep signal bar blips when screen comes on and hey presto wifi still connected. Have just spoke to a guy at Orange who when i explained all of the above agreed he would send the update message to my wifes number. She is at work at the moment with phone so cant verify if update has sorted re connection issue but will post later after checking.

Excellent site.

Nik