WiFi issue

Guest robot1000

Guest ancientyne
yes mate , i got total control over home network ,

any pointers on what would be besat settings to select mate , many thanks

southpaw puj :

ok login to the router using a computer either via wifi, or ethernet for a guaranteed connection:

you can find the router address on pc in dos by typing command ipconfig -all , wireless adapter ip should be listed in the list that appears.

or in mac os x in router/gateway field of the tcpip tab of airport in system preferences > network

use that router ip number to login into your router, by typing it into the URL bar of your web browser

(the router address is usually one of these 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.1, 10.0.11 etc)

it will ask for a user/pass ( most often its: Administrator/password, admin/admin, or admin/1234 if still default)

then find and head for wireless settings in the routers web interface that appears, and check what security is being used and see how many options youve got ?

bethere and bt routers you may have to click on advanced or details / configure to see or modify the right details.

a: try selecting one of the different security methods you not currently using, for the sake of it ie switch it to something else.

b: and at the same time change your password to a new one which is 13 digits long as this may help > (no promises) certainly did for me.

apply and save settings to router wait for router reboot if needed

go to blade forget all previous network rferences to your router each time , and remember to "show password" ticked when entering the password to make sure your not entering it wrong

i now seem fine with any of "WPA" "WPA2" "WEP" "WPA+WPA2" if it doesnt work first time, try experimenting with a different security method and log results to this thread, it might help someone.

If this all fails turn all wifi security off on the router completely and see whether you can connect then and whether if you can disconnects are better ? if so then use "mac address control" with your router instead of a wifi password. this is secure enough for most purposes.

if with no security on, you cannot connect and stay connected, but say your computer can then its likely the issue lies outside of the router, ie in the blade its setup or if not defualt rom perhaps its worth reverting to original and seeing whether it behaves any better ? after most reasonable avenues have been pursued id take it to a store and ask them to get it to connect to wifi instore. explaining the full lengths to which youve tested it, to prevent them from suggesting you try the stuff youve already tried.

Edited by ancientyne

Guest oh!dougal
I have this problem too. ...

... if you want fast 802.11n speeds a requirement is WPA2/AES. Funnily I think my home router is the only 802.11n device my phone connects to. What routers and wireless network setups are the other people having problems on?

Do we all recognise that this phone has 11b & g wifi? Not 11n.

Guest southpaw1
southpaw puj :

ok login to the router using a computer either via wifi, or ethernet for a guaranteed connection:

you can find the router address on pc in dos by typing command ipconfig -all , wireless adapter ip should be listed in the list that appears.

or in mac os x in router/gateway field of the tcpip tab of airport in system preferences > network

use that router ip number to login into your router, by typing it into the URL bar of your web browser

(the router address is usually one of these 192.168.0.1, 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.1, 10.0.11 etc)

it will ask for a user/pass ( most often its: Administrator/password, admin/admin, or admin/1234 if still default)

then find and head for wireless settings in the routers web interface that appears, and check what security is being used and see how many options youve got ?

bethere and bt routers you may have to click on advanced or details / configure to see or modify the right details.

a: try selecting one of the different security methods you not currently using, for the sake of it ie switch it to something else.

b: and at the same time change your password to a new one which is 13 digits long as this may help > (no promises) certainly did for me.

apply and save settings to router wait for router reboot if needed

go to blade forget all previous network rferences to your router each time , and remember to "show password" ticked when entering the password to make sure your not entering it wrong

i now seem fine with any of "WPA" "WPA2" "WEP" "WPA+WPA2" if it doesnt work first time, try experimenting with a different security method and log results to this thread, it might help someone.

If this all fails turn all wifi security off on the router completely and see whether you can connect then and whether if you can disconnects are better ? if so then use "mac address control" with your router instead of a wifi password. this is secure enough for most purposes.

if with no security on, you cannot connect and stay connected, but say your computer can then its likely the issue lies outside of the router, ie in the blade its setup or if not defualt rom perhaps its worth reverting to original and seeing whether it behaves any better ? after most reasonable avenues have been pursued id take it to a store and ask them to get it to connect to wifi instore. explaining the full lengths to which youve tested it, to prevent them from suggesting you try the stuff youve already tried.

Thanks for all your help ancientyne , i have now managed to connect , tried your suggestions , then restored router settings from an earlier backup and bingo , connected 1st time , apprecieate all your assistance mate , and sorry i cant post any helpful info on how i fixed it , as the settings from the backup were pretty much same as i was trying ,

many thanks

Do we all recognise that this phone has 11b & g wifi? Not 11n.

While the phone may only have b & g new routers broadcast in n too. If people are using this for other devices then it will be set to this. If it's not 11n then they can use whatever encryption they want.

I'm curious if the routers people have problems on are ones that broadcast n as well as b & g as the ones I've connected to that are b & g only I haven't had a problem with.

Guest oh!dougal

I'm curious if the routers people have problems on are ones that broadcast n as well as b & g as the ones I've connected to that are b & g only I haven't had a problem with.

Me too.

And whether the ones they cannot connect to at all are set to "n only" (as they would be for maximum speed with n devices!)

Guest electric0ant
press menu , wireless + networks , wifi settings , menu , advanced , wifi sleep policy , select never , should stop wifi from timing out

already done and still having same issue. the only time when it doesn;t time out is when its plugged in and charging.

Guest hillmie87

I dont have this issue at all, but i'm still using the original rom from orange. havent rooted my SF. are you guys using paul's cleaned-up rom?

Guest daveycarter
I dont have this issue at all, but i'm still using the original rom from orange. havent rooted my SF. are you guys using paul's cleaned-up rom?

Yep, I am using the newer rom and having exactly the same issues, disconnecting and also have very poor wifi signal when my Pulse and netbook are showing 90% plus....... this is really frustrating. Tried setting wifi to never sleep but this has no effect and neither does changing my router or removing security.

:lol:

Guest ancientyne
Yep, I am using the newer rom and having exactly the same issues, disconnecting and also have very poor wifi signal when my Pulse and netbook are showing 90% plus....... this is really frustrating. Tried setting wifi to never sleep but this has no effect and neither does changing my router or removing security.

:lol:

Me too prior to switching to modaco, I didn't have this issue I might revert to check whether it clears it up, though at that point my phone wasnt activated on 3G, what seems to happen is the wifi symbol and the 3G symbol occupy the same symbol space on the menu bar at the top ? (is this always the case on android ? cant they both be on the menu bar at the same time ?) and after its been sleeping for some time and I wake it up, I discover its not on WiFI but it has connected to 3G and the 3G symbol has replaced the wifi connection symbol that was there, and strangely in the top left corner a new wifi symbol has appeared spelt out as "wifi" as it were with a red X accross it indicating wifi is off, sometimes a notification appears saying it has found some wifi but this is only If notifications are turned on for available wifi in prefernces.

The problems im having arent related to getting connected to the wifi or WPA v WEP etc . They are mainly related staying connected to the wifi after sleep, My WIFI is not 802.11n. Im using a stable as chips Netgear DG834G 802.11g router one of the most compatiblel ive found, I did have a good DG834N but this died (quality not to hot ? DG834G seems to go on forever)

1: does the wifi and 3G symbols on all android menus swap with each other ? or are they meant to occupy a seperate space on the menu bar ? can both 3G and wifi be running at the same time can it connect to both 3G and wifi, then use the cheaper wifi connection ? and sleep the 3G symbol with a z snooze symbol that would be ideal or is it always one or the other ?

2: Anyone else getting this wifi disconnected symbol top left ? whereas on the orange rom I swear the normal wifi symbol itself when not conencted had an x on it, but strangly I guess that doesnt appear because as soon as it gains wifi, the old symbol for wifi appears and replaces the 3G one so the old wifi symbol with an x doesnt appear ?

Cheers for the Advanced wifi tip I hadnt found that yet B) have set the preference to never sleep, not ideal, as it will no doubt suck battery down fast, but ill see if it solves it, also a pity in advanced setting you cant set the DNS seperate of the manual IP settings to improve on the dns you may be offered from a DHCP hotpsot.

lets keep some movement going on this … … cheers …… ancientyne

Edited by ancientyne

Guest ancientyne

Even with the advanced setting set to never sleep, it seems to ignore it and as such the wifi still disconnects and the wifi symbol with a red X appears top left and the 3G symbol appears in the old wifi symbols place ? next to the standard signal bars indicator, and when left it doesnt reconnect by itself automatically ? I have to force a manual reconnect.

ok I think im gonna try reverting to the orange rom and and see whether this solves it

Edited by ancientyne

Guest ancientyne
Even with the advanced setting set to never sleep, it seems to ignore it and as such the wifi still disconnects and the wifi symbol with a red X appears top left and the 3G symbol appears in the old wifi symbols place ? next to the standard signal bars indicator, and when left it doesnt reconnect by itself automatically ? I have to force a manual reconnect.

ok I think im gonna try reverting to the orange rom and and see whether this solves it

IGNORE THIS INVESTIGATION BELOW THE WIFI SEEMS PRACTICALLY RANDOM IN ITS BEHAVIOUR, SOMETIMES IT WAKES AND RECONNECTS SUCCESSFULLY SOMETIMES IT DOESN'T NO RHYME OR REASON CAN BE FOUND, christ thats an hour and a half of my life gone ! reverting to orange rom to see whether it solves these wifi issues, can anyone still on orange and 3g connected report back whether they have these wifi issues as well please ? >

wierd before reverting to orange I decided to remove mcri-system.tar.gz.flashed from the sd card prior to putting the orange rom back on and did a reboot ? just to make sure there was no necessity in leaving the flashed file on the card, i presumed once you had flashed you dont need to leave it there but hadnt deleted it since the modaco install and it successfully stayed connected to wifi through sleep ? as it use to. whats caused this solution ? im testing one of three possibilitys but since i deleted the flashed mcri file on the sd card with filego I cant test putting it back lol, but I doubt it is the cause, now testing the 3 options below will report back :

X. no cigar : perhaps the advance wifi sleep setting needs a reboot to take effect ?

(not the solution either : just the reboot caused it to reconnect to to the wifi meaning the newly set sleep policy "never" can take effect ?)

X no cigar : perhaps you need to reboot once or twice after having flashed the modaco rom for it to clear up such niggles ?

(didnt solve it as after turning "wifi sleep policy" to "when screen turns off" caused the problem to re-emerge ?

X no cigar : or perhaps removing the flashed mcri file from the sd card did it ?

(this is not what solved it see results below)

it wasnt any of the above, now it seems to be reconnecting fine on WIFI and no 3g symbol appears ? presumeably the 3G symbols only appears if it doesn't have access to WIFI, and thats the same for all android ?

Ok results of testing :

having turned "wifi sleep policy" from "never" sleep wifi back to "when screen turns off" the problem has reoccurred ? indicating the sleep policy doesnt require a reboot to set it to its "when screen turns off" setting now ive put it back to "never" without a reboot or manually reconnecting it to the wifi and …… when it reawakened it did not reconnect to wifi and was on 3G, so … I next tried manually reconnecting and letting it go to sleep with the "wifi sleep policy" set to "never" without a reboot … upon awakening from sleeep …… it seems to still be connected.

hmm so this may indicate that once its properly lost its connection and is on 3G its not going to auto reconnect by itself to WIFI and reverts to 3G I guess so far the solution seems be that when you set the "WIFI sleep policy" to "never" you still have to manually reconnect the WIFI before changing the "never" preference so it will take effect. I also have turned off the "notify me when an open network is available" and im not sure whether this is helping, the difference between open network to me meaning "no password required" and a network the device "has the password to is quite large" but with the device set to "notify me when an open network is available" I think its asking me to connect to WIFI's it knows the password off already ? least I think thats what its doing > TESTING > nope "Notify me when an open network is available" appears to do just that ie it doesnt class networks it knows the password too as open : thank god, so you can leave that ticked on :hmm Maybe you cant

once its lost its wifi connection and reverted to 3G, : before you set the the advanced> "wifi sleep policy" preference to sleep "never" you must first manually reconnect to the wifi, as it appears not to do, that part itself ? from then on its seems for me to have no problem reconnecting after sleep ? not quite true > it just did the flaming disconnect again, im hoping this aint a radnom error now ! this was with the wifi sleep set to never, and network notification set to on :

now trying wifi sleep policy set to "never" and network notification set to off ? Result ? >

hmm the few times i tried sleeping with the "wifi sleep policy" set to never and "wifi notification" turned off it seemed to work ? will keep you posted as not totally surely this is a reliable method to solve it, as it didnt seem to consistent in it behaviour ? but for the moment thats the settings, im running with will report back over the day.

Next I guess we need to determine what effect this "never" sleep wifi has on battery life ? It would be better for it to sleep WIFI properly when screen is off to save battery and the reconnect instantly to the last known network or open available one within the first second of re-awakening ? it doesnt seem to do this ? and wierdly when the screen reappears after waking from sleep the wifi indicator briefly for a half a second has no bars and then jumps to whatever signal it actually has, either as though is has slept the wifi regardless of never setting or wifi signal redraw doesnt hold the last WIFI signal strength setting to display upon reawakening before redraw the current strength over it, and when it reawakes it leaves it nil bars whil it reinterrogates what strength it actually has currently, and this latter scenario sounds more like that it ignoring the never sleep option.

Edited by ancientyne

Guest cmberry20

I'm having the same issue at home. I get WI-FI connected at home on my DG834Gv5 router & it works fine. However if i switch off wi-fi on the phone or loose the signal i cant get it to connect again, i get the 'Connecting, Disconnected, Connecting, Disconnected' loop.

The only way i have found that gets the phone to connect back to wi-fi is to switch off wi-fi (on phone), reset my router, wait for it to reboot & then switch on wi-fi on the phone. I then get a message 'obtaining ip addess from netgear router' & it connects straight back in.

However, at work i dont get this issue at all. The wi-fi remains on all the time & connects fine even if i turn it off & on again on the phone.

So, is it a router issue? (Netgear)

Also, i've noticed (from my router) that the phones device name is '--'. I wonder if this is causing a issue, but i cant find where you change it.

Guest k0nrad

Has anyone tried it with setting up Static DHCP for the Blade, or even with totally manual IP setting?

Damn, I was just becoming really interested in this phone, seriously considering buying it, but if it works so randomly (and I won't be able to easily replace faulty one as I don't live in UK) it's quite a deal-breaker, even if I use 3G primarily rather than WiFi.

Edited by k0nrad

Guest ancientyne
I'm having the same issue at home. I get WI-FI connected at home on my DG834Gv5 router & it works fine. However if i switch off wi-fi on the phone or loose the signal i cant get it to connect again, i get the 'Connecting, Disconnected, Connecting, Disconnected' loop.

The only way i have found that gets the phone to connect back to wi-fi is to switch off wi-fi (on phone), reset my router, wait for it to reboot & then switch on wi-fi on the phone. I then get a message 'obtaining ip addess from netgear router' & it connects straight back in.

However, at work i dont get this issue at all. The wi-fi remains on all the time & connects fine even if i turn it off & on again on the phone.

So, is it a router issue? (Netgear)

Also, i've noticed (from my router) that the phones device name is '--'. I wonder if this is causing a issue, but i cant find where you change it.

I think theres two seperate issues here the disconecting connecting loop, which i think was solved earlier in this thread by changing router wireless security settings for some, and one guy even had to revert to a backup of his routers settings for the loop to go away. I suggest Cmberry to read some of the earlier posts in this thread and see whether any effective changes to your routers wifi settings can yield results.

The Problem i was suffering with non reconnection of WIFI after sleep, seems so far to be solved buy reverting to the default orange rom ? but have only been testing for a while, so will keep people updated as im not sure I trust it yet.

Edited by ancientyne

Guest ancientyne
Has anyone tried it with setting up Static DHCP for the Blade, or even with totally manual IP setting?

Damn, I was just becoming really interested in this phone, seriously considering buying it, but if it works so randomly (and I won't be able to easily replace faulty one as I don't live in UK) it's quite a deal-breaker, even if I use 3G primarily rather than WiFi.

nope static wont cut it for me as hotspotting etc, I doubt static ip would solve it reverting to the orange default rom seemed to solve it I dont see how that can be the case ? but it seemed to solve the wifi disconnection issues. but if your going abroad all you need to do is unlock ?

Guest cmberry20

Sorry, i forget to say that i've tried EVERYTHING regarding wireless security etc. WEP, WPA, WPA2, no security, small passwords, long passwords, same password as my works router, just numbers, just letters etc etc. Sames issue.

I've even tried changing the wireless channel - from 10 to 6, no change!

btw - using original ROM.

Does anyone know how to change the phones network name?

Guest ancientyne
Sorry, i forget to say that i've tried EVERYTHING regarding wireless security etc. WEP, WPA, WPA2, no security, small passwords, long passwords, same password as my works router, just numbers, just letters etc etc. Sames issue.

I've even tried changing the wireless channel - from 10 to 6, no change!

btw - using original ROM.

Does anyone know how to change the phones network name?

sorry to here your having such trouble CMberry :lol: sounds like youve tried allot ? have you tried it on other routers ? in other locations, is it just your home router that gives it grief ? or is it any wireless connection whatsoever ? if you cant connect to any router, i definately take it back to the shop and make them prove it works in the shop.

good luck

Guest Andyroid
To be honest you can avoid the whole wifi security profile issue, by setting your router, to use MAC address control and putting in the mac address of the devices that use the router and using no wifi password at all, obviously its a pain for guests ? where a password scenario is more convenient, rather than entering guests MAC addresses into the router.

Couldn't agree more, always use an access control list, if your MAC Address aint listed you aint getting on.

I've had no issues on the Wi-Fi front, as strong a signal as my lappy and no drop outs.

Edited by Andyroid

Guest David Horvath
Couldn't agree more, always use an access control list, if your MAC Address aint listed you aint getting on.

I've had no issues on the Wi-Fi front, as strong a signal as my lappy and no drop outs.

MAC filtering can be hacked in a few minutes. I dont know if you should fear, i'm just saying.