2.1 Likes and Dislikes!

Guest AerospaceMango

Im using the voice with keyboard apk, and I have to say i havent had any problems or bugs with the android keyboard on the gt540 at al.

also using voice with keyboard, the voice input for text messages or any other form of text DOES work. :lol:

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Im using the voice with keyboard apk, and I have to say i havent had any problems or bugs with the android keyboard on the gt540 at al.

also using voice with keyboard, the voice input for text messages or any other form of text DOES work. B)

Er....yeah, We know, it's the Voice Call's that don't. :lol:

The only warning I can put forward is that if you use the Voice feature heavily, watch your data allowance..

As for the Android keyboard..2.7meg, for a ****ing skin???

Er....yeah, We know, it's the Voice Call's that don't. :lol:

The only warning I can put forward is that if you use the Voice feature heavily, watch your data allowance..

As for the Android keyboard..2.7meg, for a ****ing skin???

yes. but.. Try using the LG keyboard in qwerty mode with the phone in portrait orientation. Theres loads of keya all crammed in the screen and the keys are tiny.

The android keyboard makes it easier using qwerty in landscape mode.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
yes. but.. Try using the LG keyboard in qwerty mode with the phone in portrait orientation. Theres loads of keya all crammed in the screen and the keys are tiny.

The android keyboard makes it easier using qwerty in landscape mode.

True, but keyboards like Swype or SlideIT, IMO, have better features, and are more polished than the basic LG or Android keyboard, and work better, than the stock ones.

just wish they would get Blindtype out :

Now that's an amazing app.

Guest AerospaceMango
True, but keyboards like Swype or SlideIT, IMO, have better features, and are more polished than the basic LG or Android keyboard, and work better, than the stock ones.

just wish they would get Blindtype out :

Now that's an amazing app.

I've been showing anyone I know, with an Android phone, SlideIT....and they ALL love it!

Almost as much as I do!!!!

Guest gstar101
Dislike:

Cannot use XT9 for entering text into Android Market search window, Quick Search window, Dolphin Browser HD address bar or Browser (stock) address bar,

my thoughts exactly!!

Additionally, is it just me or does EVERYTHING sound softer? My Ringtones, in-call volume & music sounds about half the regular volume.

Edited by gstar101

Guest max-greece

OK - I have been running 2.1 for almost a couple of days now and here are some of my obseravtions:

1. GPS

Performance is not as good as it was. Time taken to lock position has increased from about 30-60 seconds to 300. I tested in my garden each time and repeated the test 4 times over the period after re-booting the phone.

2. Stability

Prior to the upgrade I had a problem with making and receiving calls on the Vodafone 2G network here in Greece. I still have the problem and if anything it is actually worse. 3G works perfectly.

The phone has died on one occasion after missing a call requiring removal of the battery to re-boot.

3. Screen

Touch appears to be more sensitive and has required me re-learning how to use it. I have a lot more difficulty selecting things with my thumb whilst if I use my index finger nail it is faster and much more accurate than previously.

If colour performance has improved I cannot identify it. I had been told that 1.6 only supports 64 K colours and that 2.1 would be better. Its certainly not worse - but better? Looking at photos they appear much the same to me.

4. Applicaitons

I had been told that the number of applications that can be run on 2.1 was much greater than on 1.6. Whilst this might be the case I have not found any "killer app" that has made the change worthwhile. Active wallpapers are fun and do add something to the experience but appear to take up a large amount of RAM and so are of dubious benefit.

5. Greek

I had it on 1.6 but whatever I do on 2.1 I cannot seem to find the Greek keyboard. I can localize to Greek (menus and suchlike) after following the instructions posted on here to use the "Morelocale" software but the keyboard does not appear under the LG IME. I had installed the Google IME as well but that appears to have disappeared of its own volition.

6. Browser

This has improved hugely over the previous incarnation. I found the previous one to be unusable and had installed Opera. Now the new version works so much better that I have removed Opera again.

7. Facebook

I see others have had problems with this software. To date I have not - works fine and is a better implementation than we had under the SNS software with rather more options and functions available.

8. Network

Using my wireless network performance has definitely improved in terms of speed. Functionality is the same. I can access network shares via eStrong and multimedia files via the VLC Stream and Remote program.

I have not tested 3G as yet.

9. Battery use and re-charging.

Obviously I have been hitting the usage pretty hard over the last couple of days and battery use has been heavy. I have been forced to re-charge during the day. On a positive note the phone seems to re-charge more quickly than it did - no idea why.

10. Overall performance.

Initially the phone seemed blindingly fast but I think that was largely due to my not having installed all the apps. In general use it is just as fast as it was - if not slightly faster - but there are times when it appears to bog down (just as it did under 1.6) and become unresponsive in an acceptable timeframe. This has only happened a few times. I would like to think it happens less often than it did with 1.6.

11. Overall conclusion.

There is a bit of a "beta test" feel to the software. It is good in parts and I do not regret moving (not that there is much I could do if I did). When a proper Greek version comes out I will switch to that one for sure but in the meantime I can cope with the phone as it is now.

Guest Carbonize

OK just joined to give my opinions on 2.1 after updating last night. I do agree with max-greece that this feels like a beta or release candidate.

Good:

GPS is now really fast. In 1.6 I'd have to wait minutes sometimes but now it's pretty instant.

Quick Contact - I love how you click on a contacts image and get quick contact options even in messaging.

Touch screen seems slightly more responsive that in 1.6.

Music Player - I prefer the new selection screen in music player.

The new SNS Social feed widget is far superior to the SNS feed in 1.6

Contact List - I like the new look and feel but it also has bad points (see below)

Drawer in default Droid Home. Love the 3D but I use ADW anyway.

Bad:

The new contact list acts weird For a start it classes uppercase and lowercase as different letters which results in names starting in lowercase coming after all those starting in uppercase. Also I don't like how it shows contacts with info from multiple sources.

Mo XT9 in market search and some other input screens.

Other Comments:

Message threads - These still look rubbish. Everyone else seems to have customised them so why not LG? The default Droid look is bland and sometimes makes it hard to follow the thread.

The Weather widget whilst looking good seems to be unable to keep time or is the time it shows the last time it updated? It seems to me it updates the time every 60 seconds as expected but it does so at 30 seconds in to the minute.

Edited by Carbonize

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Bad:

The new contact list acts weird For a start it classes uppercase and lowercase as different letters which results in names starting in lowercase coming after all those starting in uppercase. Also I don't like how it shows contacts with info from multiple sources.

Mo XT9 in market search and some other input screens.

Other Comments:

Message threads - These still look rubbish. Everyone else seems to have customised them so why not LG? The default Droid look is bland and sometimes makes it hard to follow the thread.

The Weather widget whilst looking good seems to be unable to keep time or is the time it shows the last time it updated? It seems to me it updates the time every 60 seconds as expected but it does so at 30 seconds in to the minute.

Edit your contacts, and they will go in the right sections..

Also, they won't show information from different sources(i assume you mean pc sync, and google sync), if you don't sync them..

The weather widget appears to take it's time from the phone, which in turn takes it's time from your network, I think.

Mine changes at exactly the same time as my phone clock on the notification bar.

Guest Carbonize
Edit your contacts, and they will go in the right sections..

Also, they won't show information from different sources(i assume you mean pc sync, and google sync), if you don't sync them..

The weather widget appears to take it's time from the phone, which in turn takes it's time from your network, I think.

Mine changes at exactly the same time as my phone clock on the notification bar.

Yes I know but when I first updated I used the LG sync to restore my contacts forgetting that they were already stored on Google. I shouldn't have to rename my contacts the app should not care about case so Name and name should both appear under N.

My weather app seems to update i's self at about the 30 second mark meaning 30 seconds past the minute. Don't know why though.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Yes I know but when I first updated I used the LG sync to restore my contacts forgetting that they were already stored on Google. I shouldn't have to rename my contacts the app should not care about case so Name and name should both appear under N.

My weather app seems to update i's self at about the 30 second mark meaning 30 seconds past the minute. Don't know why though.

It's got to take it's cues from the phone itself...pity there isnt a setting inside it to find out when it syncs, or how often.

Guest Carbonize

It is a shame as it's actually quite a nice clock/weather app. I do wish I could get the Facebook for LG app off here so my other half could use it on her San Francisco.

Guest Carbonize

OK managed to resolve this weather widget issue but it's still a weird issue. I turned on automatic time setting and now the widget shows the correct time. If you manually set the time then it goes wrong. Seems that when the phone says it's a new minute the widget checks the network time and sets it's self to that so if your phone is slightly ahead then the widget will be behind if that makes sense.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
OK managed to resolve this weather widget issue but it's still a weird issue. I turned on automatic time setting and now the widget shows the correct time. If you manually set the time then it goes wrong. Seems that when the phone says it's a new minute the widget checks the network time and sets it's self to that so if your phone is slightly ahead then the widget will be behind if that makes sense.

Weird..the time on my phone, i never had to set, when i upgraded to 2.1.

Guest soulclaimed

ive installed slideit but i find it more difficult than the standard keyboard it seems more prone to mistakes and unless i have it on abc mode does not recognise alot of the words i input as it does a t9 style correction, has anybody noticed issues with widgets crashing, one of which is the alarm clock which is worrying as I use it to wake me for work.

Guest max-greece

Just thought I would update a bit on my earlier impressions. I've posted the updates within my original text in italics:

OK - I have been running 2.1 for almost a couple of days now and here are some of my obseravtions:

1. GPS

Performance is not as good as it was. Time taken to lock position has increased from about 30-60 seconds to 300. I tested in my garden each time and repeated the test 4 times over the period after re-booting the phone.

I think that this has improved now. It appears to be at a steady(ish) 90 seconds. ITs not as good as it was but its still useful. Once locked it functions as before.

2. Stability

Prior to the upgrade I had a problem with making and receiving calls on the Vodafone 2G network here in Greece. I still have the problem and if anything it is actually worse. 3G works perfectly.

The phone has died on one occasion after missing a call requiring removal of the battery to re-boot.

Well actually I have lost 3G networking altogether. I think that this issue is with Vodafone Greece in that the 2G performance prior to the upgrade was very patchy anyway. If the localized version doesn't fix it then I am in trouble. At least the phone hasn't locked up in the last 5 days.

3. Screen

Touch appears to be more sensitive and has required me re-learning how to use it. I have a lot more difficulty selecting things with my thumb whilst if I use my index finger nail it is faster and much more accurate than previously.

If colour performance has improved I cannot identify it. I had been told that 1.6 only supports 64 K colours and that 2.1 would be better. Its certainly not worse - but better? Looking at photos they appear much the same to me.

Well I am now a dab hand with the screen so that issue is solved. Screen looks great with live wallpapers so maybe there is something to the increased colour depth afterall.

4. Applicaitons

I had been told that the number of applications that can be run on 2.1 was much greater than on 1.6. Whilst this might be the case I have not found any "killer app" that has made the change worthwhile. Active wallpapers are fun and do add something to the experience but appear to take up a large amount of RAM and so are of dubious benefit.

I have rooted my phone and installed Apps2sd. This is a quantum leap forwards. It now feels like the phone it should always have been. No more worries about running out of space for me.

As an aside I think that the phone is actually faster setup like this. Having a huge amount of internal storage space always available (I have about 110 Mb) seems to be a benefit and accessing apps from the card seems no slower than before.

5. Greek

I had it on 1.6 but whatever I do on 2.1 I cannot seem to find the Greek keyboard. I can localize to Greek (menus and suchlike) after following the instructions posted on here to use the "Morelocale" software but the keyboard does not appear under the LG IME. I had installed the Google IME as well but that appears to have disappeared of its own volition.

Solved by accident. SlideIT keyboard gives the option of adding additional languages so I chose Greek and low and behold a Greek Keyboard pops up and works fine. This is despite not having installed the Greek localization via Morelocale 2. (I have had a clean re-install since I originally installed it and have not bothered with that since.) Whilst installing the new keyboard I also added full voice control. Watching the phone type out what I tell it is quite mesmerizing - but some of the errors are a riot. Its certainly easier than typing on the tiny keyboard but its far from 100% accurate.

6. Browser

This has improved hugely over the previous incarnation. I found the previous one to be unusable and had installed Opera. Now the new version works so much better that I have removed Opera again.

Still not installed opera. The browser took a little getting used to but it just massively better than the 1.6 version. Much faster too.

7. Facebook

I see others have had problems with this software. To date I have not - works fine and is a better implementation than we had under the SNS software with rather more options and functions available.

8. Network

Using my wireless network performance has definitely improved in terms of speed. Functionality is the same. I can access network shares via eStrong and multimedia files via the VLC Stream and Remote program.

I have not tested 3G as yet.

3G still not working.

9. Battery use and re-charging.

Obviously I have been hitting the usage pretty hard over the last couple of days and battery use has been heavy. I have been forced to re-charge during the day. On a positive note the phone seems to re-charge more quickly than it did - no idea why.

Battery use still heavy but the phone easily gets me through the day now.

10. Overall performance.

Initially the phone seemed blindingly fast but I think that was largely due to my not having installed all the apps. In general use it is just as fast as it was - if not slightly faster - but there are times when it appears to bog down (just as it did under 1.6) and become unresponsive in an acceptable timeframe. This has only happened a few times. I would like to think it happens less often than it did with 1.6.

With apps2sd it is definitely faster.

11. Overall conclusion.

There is a bit of a "beta test" feel to the software. It is good in parts and I do not regret moving (not that there is much I could do if I did). When a proper Greek version comes out I will switch to that one for sure but in the meantime I can cope with the phone as it is now.

Not really changed my opinion much - but I think I have it much more stable now.

Guest joeymk

Can someone tell me how to tur off the vibrations from the keyboard, and how to have 3 home screen not 5 or 7

Guest gstar101
Can someone tell me how to tur off the vibrations from the keyboard, and how to have 3 home screen not 5 or 7

From what I can tell you cant select 3 home screens.

To turn off vibration from keyboard do the following:

From home screen click settings --> "Language and keyboard" --> "LG IME" --> Deselect "Vibrate on keypress"

Guest Satans_Hell

I have a strange issue (if its an issue and not something that cant be changed), not sure if anyone else gets it too!

I cant seem to turn off the vibration when receiving a text message. No matter which setting I use it wont turn off even if I have told it too??

Edited by Satans_Hell

Guest ilovelg

Install LauncherPro from the market. You can select more or less screens and it has more animations in it :)

Guest ilovelg
Or use any of the other Home replacements. ADW seems to be a very popular choice and is my own personal favourite.

ADW and LauncherPro, both looking very similar anyway :]

Guest bushfire

Just using it for a couple of hours now....everything seems to work fine..

Like - the SMS and call button are right there in home screen.

Like - interface is faster may be it is just my feeling

Dislike - there is lots of Russian apps (I guess it is russian going by shape of script) which I cant remove.

Disllike - Browser cannot close as someone else posted already..

Guest max-greece

just a quick update. 3g now working. there was nothing wrong with the phone. Vodafone was wrong to insist on a username and password. 2g does not work at all however, even for voice.

As far as I can see this its the opposite of other people's problems.

Weird huh...

Guest saeba_ryo
just a quick update. 3g now working. there was nothing wrong with the phone. Vodafone was wrong to insist on a username and password. 2g does not work at all however, even for voice.

As far as I can see this its the opposite of other people's problems.

Weird huh...

2G completely dead now? Very bad news, at least in 1.6 if I boot the phone and connects to 3G, it can switch to 2G successfully after that, voice and GPRS data both working. I fear what will happen with the official greek 2.1...