MP3 Codec (and Telnet / SSH)

Guest pxtigermoon

Guest pxtigermoon

Hi all,

This is my first post - and apologies straight up if it's in the wrong place!

First up - is there a definitive list of what MP3s can, and cannot be played on my nice shiny new SPV? Standard 128Kb ones are fine - but I've had no luck with other formats... pity really.

Heh - just occurred to me - I'm a mobile DJ using Laptop for my main music... given a few months, I might as well just roll up to a gig with my SPV. :)

Second query - totally unrelated - I have a managed server down Telehouse way... admin is all done via SSH / Telnet. Anybody found a nice SSH / Telnet client for SPV - or anythign that might work? What about a WinCE version... would that work? Ack. I'm dumb.

Sure you lot ain't as dumb as me though. ;) Hope you can shed some light!

PXT

Guest DJ WATTS

Well i have some 256kbit MP3's on my phone and i dont see a limit on the bitrate you can use.

However the SPV will only play MP3's that are encoded in 44,100 and below so if you try like i did and encode an MP3 at 48,000 rate you will not be able to play the file back at all. Even worse the phone will not even recognise the file on the phone.

As for your second query, sorry bud not a clue...

Guest pxtigermoon

Please sir, can I have my MP3s as ringtones yet? Is this going to be a patch later on in life, or is it just too much of a drain on resources - recieving a call *and* playing an MP3!?

Furthermore, what are the limitations to the .MID files on there? Single channel? I was sure I read somewhere the SPV was polyphonic.

Heh. Then again, I'm sure I once imagined I was rich, had a very nice 21yr old woman by my side, two cars, house, lovely kiddy, cat, dog and a goldfish. Nope... wrong there too.

P.

PS: anyone want to help with those latter dreams, please contact me off list. LOL

Guest bobroberts

I wrote this on the microsoft.public.smartphone newsgroup yesterday (you should visit this as it has a large contribuition from microsoft)...

The SPV does play midi files but only MIDI Format 0 which means that all the data is kept on a single track

from www.midi.org...

"The specification for Standard MIDI Files defines three formats for MIDI

files. MIDI sequencers can generally manage multiple MIDI data streams, or "tracks". Standard MIDI files using Format 0 store all of the MIDI sequence data in a single track. Format 1 files store MIDI data as a collection of tracks. Format 2 files can store several independent patterns. Format 2 is generally not used by MIDI sequencers for musical applications. Most sophisticated MIDI sequencers can read either Format 0 or Format 1 Standard MIDI Files. Format 0 files may be smaller, and thus conserve storage space.

They may also be transferred using slightly less system bandwidth than

Format 1 files. However, Format 1 files may be viewed and edited more

directly, and are therefore generally preferred."

99% of available midi files are in type 1 format tho but can but converted

easilty enough.

BUT it's also down to the built in sound set and whilst the new nokias and

samsungs have varitations on the General MIDI sound set the SPV does not.

This means the Noks and Sammys have sounds that include pianos, drums, guitars, synths etc the SPV has a bleep. just one too. so it can play the same bleep 3 times on top of each other to create a chord, but its still a bleep.

You can however create normal ringtones with this bleep and the small file

size means they play really quickly and you phone rings straight away

to hear examples of both mono and ployphonic ringtones on the SPV visit

www.haylo.co.uk/spv and load them into your phone. the polyphonic one works rather well but is obviously limited by the sound set.

in summary - there is no point downloading midi files to the phone cos

they'll either not play or sound rubbish unless you want a beep beep beep or ring ring type ringtone... which you might - i do

hope this helps clear some things up

bobroberts

Guest pxtigermoon

Is this single-'beep' sound in hardware? Or software? i guess, theoretically, if it's a software synth (kinda thing) that it could be upgraded, but would obviously have an impact on the running of the machine.

I think I'll play with low-bit-rate wavs for my ringtones for now... MIDI0 seems particularly limited, although the tones off the site (above) are considerably better than the default offerings!

P.

Guest DJ WATTS

Why would you want polyphonic ringtones anyways?

I have copied polyphonic ringtones as .WAV files and used them that way but now i dont even bother as i can take a snippet out of a track i like and set that as the ringtone.

While some of the newer phones do indeed have Polyphonic ringtones we do have something which most phones dont have and thats the ability to play back actual sounds of tracks we like rather than a boring Polyphonic one.

There really is no comparison and i am the envy of all my mates with my Dancey ringtones while they are using standard/polyphonic ones trying to emulate my sound in bleeps... :)