Updated to 2.1 - Contacts hyphenated? Voice Search gone? Help here!!

Guest RottenFoxBreath

Guest RottenFoxBreath

Hyphenated Contacts

For the UK people who aren't American or Westernised to the point of contacts looking like 000-0000-000, you can remedy this.

Go to the market, download "MoreLocale 2", it's only 60kbs, so tiny file size, run it(you only need to run it once, and never again).

select English, from the ISO639 window, then select United Kingdom, from the ISO3166 window.

* Hint: United Kingdom is underneath "Gabon" in the A-Z listing :lol: , I assume for GB.

Then select "Set", and that's it, no more hyphenated contacts.

This unlocks all the locales on the software, so handy for everywhere around the world really.

For all other people, this might help with keyboard or language issues with your locale...

There are a ton of locales, and I mean looooooads.. in this programme, so it might help a bit, for individual needs.

I've just run More Locale 2 again to check, previously carrying out the instructions I give in my post, and I now see Spanish, German, French, Polish, Italian, Czech, Latvian, Chinese, and other languages to select.

That's from picking the English/UK custom locale from the list, so my guess is, all the languages are there, they just need unlocked.

---- So for example, If you are German, try picking German for both windows in More Locale 2, and see how it goes.

As for the stock keyboard, its crap, so best to try something like Swype, or SlideIT, with a local language/dictionary for your country(available for free on the market), as this also gives you voice texting/voice search in Contacts, and Maps, along with the standard Voice Search.

Swype/SlideIT + Voice Search 1.50 = Voice Text/Voice Search in Contacts/Maps, and standard Google Voice Search.

---- The other method is export contacts to SD, copy the file to pc to sort them out there, groups, de-hyphenated, etc.

de-select phone and Sim contacts on the phone, selecting google contacts only, then import to google from pc, then sync to phone.

Voice Search

link for those unable to find it/in countries that it doesn't show on the Market HERE!!!

You used to be able to download Voice Search for 1.6 from the market, at least I managed too, but it was removed from there, for 1.6, and is now 2.1 at least.

Download Voice Search from the market, this will re-install it if you had it before, or missed it when Google removed it from the 1.6 setup.

Voice text/Voice call(bluetooth) is NOT possible with 2.1 from Google, they say..lol, voice text/search/search contact's are.

as they moved the goalposts a while ago, and instead of using their own advice, to programme for the lowest OS (1.5/1.6), they decided to make it available on the market to 2.2 only.

If you use SlideIT keyboard, you can search for contacts by voice, and Text with voice, along with Google Voice Search.

Just remember to enable Voice in the SlideIT keyboard settings.

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest qwerta369
Voice Search

Download Voice Search from the market, this will re-install it if you had it before, or missed it when Google removed it from the 1.6 setup.

Voice text/Voice call is NOT possible with 2.1 from Google, as they moved the goalposts a while ago, and instead of using their own advice, to programme for the lowest OS (1.5/1.6), they decided to make it 2.2 only.

Voice Search appears not to be in the market for me. Neither is it here: http://market.android.com/details?id=com.g...oid.voicesearch

Guest qwerta369
I just searched for voice search in the market, and the first resolut listes is the google voice search, so its there for me..

Not sure why you cant see it?

Hmmm.. How very odd. Searching Voice Search in the Market doesn't bring it to me. Visiting this link from this site returns a "Not found" error.

What's wrong for me?

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Hmmm.. How very odd. Searching Voice Search in the Market doesn't bring it to me. Visiting this link from this site returns a "Not found" error.

What's wrong for me?

used the market just there, for Voice Search, and it was the first option..Voice Search by Google Inc.

Now the only thing I can think of, is that the market for different continent's, areas, etc, are all different, and possibly some apps don't appear for certain locales.

but it is there, Voice Search is 2.1 at least now(used to be on the market for 1.6, but they removed it a month or so ago, and deemed 2.1 and 2.2 the ones that they say could use it, although we all know thats rubbish....), and Voice Dial is 2.2.

Sod it. Google's my friend. Found the apk here.

That link is fantastic.

Not only does it include voice search... Also includes the default, stock android keyboard, the dark black looking one that most other phones use.

Been looking for that keyboard even when I had 1.6, that means you can now choose to use the LG IME, or the proper android keyboard.

Also if you install this apk, and change the keyboard to the Ansroid keyboard, you can speak text into any text field, sms, etc..

Guest RottenFoxBreath
That link is fantastic.

Not only does it include voice search... Also includes the default, stock android keyboard, the dark black looking one that most other phones use.

Been looking for that keyboard even when I had 1.6, that means you can now choose to use the LG IME, or the proper android keyboard.

Also if you install this apk, and change the keyboard to the Ansroid keyboard, you can speak text into any text field, sms, etc..

You can do exactly the same with the Voice Search from the market,, and it works with the slideIT keyboard, using voice to text/voice to search contacts, and voice to search online/maps.

Voice search on the market is only about 0.97meg installed.

It's just 2-3 meg of app data I don't need, as the slideIT keyboard is probably the best I've used so far, and it's tiny..

Pity it's all data usage though for searches...heavy texters beware of data charges.. :lol:

You can do exactly the same with the Voice Search from the market,, and it works with the slideIT keyboard, using voice to text/voice to search contacts, and voice to search online/maps.

Voice search on the market is only about 0.97meg installed.

It's just 2-3 meg of app data I don't need, as the slideIT keyboard is probably the best I've used so far, and it's tiny..

Pity it's all data usage though for searches...heavy texters beware of data charges.. :lol:

i am in canada and also can not find voice search and i also see online that it can not be found.

Guest RottenFoxBreath
i am in canada and also can not find voice search and i also see online that it can not be found.

Right, I've put the link to the Voice Search .apk file from my phone in my first post.! :lol:

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Ive just noticed that the google voice search in the market is only version 1.4.6??

In the uk it's 1.50, the one I linked to in my first post in this thread.