2.6.35 kernel for Streak

Guest smokku

I am working on getting 2.6.35 kernel running on Streak.

The port is available on gitorious - http://gitorious.org/streak/kernel

It progresses fine and most of the hardware drivers are ported. But I have an issue with non functioning initrd which causes kernel to panic right at the boot end while kicking /sbin.init

I've been running in circles on it for two days and would gladly use some help of more experienced kernel developer. If you have any idea how to fix it, or how to debug the problem - please contact me.

Guest untrueparadox

It progresses fine and most of the hardware drivers are ported. But I have an issue with non functioning initrd which causes kernel to panic right at the boot end while kicking /sbin.init

I've been running in circles on it for two days and would gladly use some help of more experienced kernel developer. If you have any idea how to fix it, or how to debug the problem - please contact me.

why don't you join stephen and the cyanogen team on the other thread so you can merge your projects? no need to reinvent the wheel twice right? i'm sure he already got past booting the 2.2 kernel but hes got a few drivers to hammer out.

Guest popetodd
Ubuntu, maybe? I remember someone being pretty interested in getting that going.

I've got Ubuntu running on mine, there's a thread around here somewhere that explains it.

• 1 month later...
Guest okokokokok

Ubuntu would be real nice. I dont like that VNC -- Ubuntu Idea, i want a full ubuntu.

@ popetodd, this thread you are talking about, is this with VNC ? I want sound and as far as i know there is no sound via VNC.

Guest popetodd

It is, and I musunderstood.

smokku looks to be talking about running Linux as the main OS instead of Android.

Hey smokku, you should look at the initrd on the installation from the link. It does start up as a chrooted environment and might offer some insight into what is missing from yours. If you don't want to install it let me know what you need from it and I'll pull it from mine.

Hey smokku, you should look at the initrd on the installation from the link. It does start up as a chrooted environment and might offer some insight into what is missing from yours. If you don't want to install it let me know what you need from it and I'll pull it from mine.

You should go out of MoDaCo more often...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.p...mp;postcount=37

• 1 month later...
Guest jagansece

Hi an unable to download kernel-2.6.35 from - http://gitorious.org/streak/kernel.

please send me valid one,....

am awaiting for ur replay

Guest Stephen Hyde

really no point in trying to get it the drivers for most things are not usable (the yaffs nand flash drivers are totalyl borked also ) your better off using dells provided 2.6.32 source

Guest smokku
You stopped porting Meego to DS, didnt you?

Basically lack of opensource support for Qualcomm processors stopped me.

But yes - I am no longer working on MeeGo for Dell Streak.

Guest spences10
Basically lack of opensource support for Qualcomm processors stopped me.

But yes - I am no longer working on MeeGo for Dell Streak.

Very sorry to hear about this :unsure:

Dell you have well and truly made a total balls up on all aspects of the streak, I will not be getting another dell smart phone.

Guest popetodd

This is different, smokku was working on replacing the Android rom with Linux outright and not just running Linux in a chroot.

Edited by popetodd

Guest Truenash
Very sorry to hear about this B)

Dell you have well and truly made a total balls up on all aspects of the streak, I will not be getting another dell smart phone.

Atleast the Streak got out, we didn't have the problems Venue Pro users did :unsure:

Guest spences10
Atleast the Streak got out, we didn't have the problems Venue Pro users did :unsure:

Another reason why I don't think I'll be getting another dell smart phone in a hurry

dell, you suck!!