ZTE Blade (San Fran) or Optimus GT540?

Guest sensory

Hi all,

I just heard about the an Francisco on Orange today, one day before I'm set to buy my first Android phone. The phone I've had my eye on for weeks now is the LG Optimus GT540, but after seeing the SF I'm having my doubts. The price is amazing, but all round it seems like a much better phone with an amazing screen as well and what seems to be customs ROMs popping up already, which I've yet to see on the GT540. Would it be worth buying the SF instead?

I think I've made up my mind based on what I've read and seen so far, and the community seems to have adopted the SF as their new favourite entry-level smartphone.

Any responses would be appreciated. :lol:

Guest Satans_Hell

Difficult one, I bought my GT540 just over a month ago and I am very happy especially as its now got Android 2.1.

If it were me in your position, id buy the SF over the GT. Just because the SF has the better capacitive touchscreen and an OLED one at that!

The only thing the GT has over the SF is support, though that would not of been enough for me to sway to it :lol:

Edited by Satans_Hell

Difficult one, I bought my GT540 just over a month ago and I am very happy especially as its now got Android 2.1.

If it were me in your position, id buy the SF over the GT. Just because the SF has the better capacitive touchscreen and an OLED one at that!

The only thing the GT has over the SF is support, though that would not of been enough for me to sway to it B)

LG are not known for supporting their android devices. A lot of them are just being left on default versions so don't expect a froyo upgrade from LG :lol:

The SF beats the LG in every aspect (Except, perhaps, the camera)

I'm a ex-GT540 user. Had it for about 1.5 months. Was quite happy overall but it took time to adapt because I was a heavy iPod Touch user and... Android (specially with a resistive touch screen) is no iOS in subtle interaction things. I think the LG's camera is slightly better, more sharpness, I prefer it's warmer tones, it's faster and having a hardware button is REALLY useful. But other than the camera experience, the SF beats the GT540 in every way, not least the fact that hacks/custom roms, kernel source for SF came out within a week of its release and LG users waited months for 2.1. I never updated mine.

Guest retrend

I updated my 2 week old GT540 to 2.1 and managed to sell it on ebay for what I paid for it, and went and got a San Fran today, seems like a no brainer. The resistive touch screen was impossible to type on with my fat fingers

Guest Gibbo501

I was also torn between these two. On Orange's web site the LG seemed to have more features over the SF, but the positive comments on here made me buy the SF, and so far am not disappointed.

Edited by Gibbo501

I was also torn between these two. On Orange's web site the LG seemed to have more features over the SF, but the positive comments on here made me buy the SF, and so far am not disappointed.

Most of those features are non-features, a bit of padding :lol:

Guest dadashi

Thanks to the thread starter. I was going through the same decision.

Seems the SF is better except for the camera.

Maybe the SF camera will work better with new firmwares / 2.2 Froyo update?

I've had the LG GT540 in my hands and I was impressed with the sturdy build quality. The unboard hardware, WiFi, Camera, GPS, etc... all seem to be working with no probs. Subjectively LG quality is better than ZTE. I would expect the LG GT540 to last longer...

The SF has some problems that need ironing out with updates, like Wifi and camera...

The capacitive OLED screen is the big winner for the SF, it beats the smaller resistive LG GT540 screen hands down....

Guest Satans_Hell

Really gutted this phone came out under a month after I bought my GT540. ;)

I am in two minds whether to pick one of the SF up and sell the GT540 on :)