in this source have many notice.

example :

after cp * /system/sd/dalvik-cache

echo Moving files Dalvik-cache to the memory card

after cp * /system/sd/app

echo Transferring applications to the memory card

etc....

Guest droidpereira
This in conjunction with something like Root Explorer, Titanium, or Astro, allows you to back up your apps/system, and install new or existing apps to the SD card.

Can you explain it better

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Can you explain it better

Not really...it's pretty clear ;)

you install app2sd, you can then use your SD card to install apps to, instead of the phone memory, increasing the size of available space, thus gaining more space for apps, so if you use 1gig of your SD card for apps, compare that to 120meg for apps on the phones memory!! :)

Edited by RottenFoxBreath

Guest droidpereira
Not really...it's pretty clear ;)

you install app2sd, you can then use your SD card to install apps to, instead of the phone memory, increasing the size of available space, thus gaining more space for apps, so if you use 1gig of your SD card for apps, compare that to 120meg for apps on the phones memory!! :)

that i know. i install apps and my memory phone decrease, it's normal?

Guest RottenFoxBreath
that i know. i install apps and my memory phone decrease, it's normal?

Yeah, its the dalvik-cache that does it..it's what keeps your phone sort of fast..moving it to SD or getting rid of it is a bad idea, and can cause force closes, or crashes..

you can clear it, but it will refill on reboot, but clearing it can get rid of old ones, and also use cachemate, from the market to clear out net or market caches..that helps too.

It should only go down a couple of meg for every handful of apps you install..

I've got well over 30 apps, and its at 112 meg at the moment..

Guest droidpereira
Yeah, its the dalvik-cache that does it..it's what keeps your phone sort of fast..moving it to SD or getting rid of it is a bad idea, and can cause force closes, or crashes..

you can clear it, but it will refill on reboot, but clearing it can get rid of old ones, and also use cachemate, from the market to clear out net or market caches..that helps too.

Ok thanks

Guest saeba_ryo

But if you look at script provided in this thread, it moves both dalvik-cache and cache to the sdcard. Is this a good idea?

Guest zippo876

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the help, finally I have managed to install "App2sd" :( , but the problem now is, whatever application I try to install is not installing anywhere, not even on the phone memory, it is just keep saying Download Unsuccessful :) ;) .

Anyone's advice please what I am doing wrong.

Regards

Sid

Guest RottenFoxBreath
But if you look at script provided in this thread, it moves both dalvik-cache and cache to the sdcard. Is this a good idea?

I spoke to someone who has their phone with app2sd on it, and he suggested a programme that does use the system for cache-ing, so i picked Copilot as a test, so I've run that, and my space has gone down 9meg, after running the programme, so its data cache is stored to the phones memory, if all cache-ing was done on the SD, then i would imagine that it wouldnt have moved at all, and the size of the Ext partition would have had an extra 9 meg added to it's usage, which it hasn't, it still remains the same.

I think whats been said is some have thought that cache has also been moved to the SD card, but i've just checked and no extra space has been taken from the SD card, only from the phones memory, so that 9meg data cache from Copilot IS on the phone..

No force closes yet, and I've just about run every app i have.

Also, the apps i have installed, are around the same size as the space taken from the SD Ext2 partiition, give or take a few meg, for whatever else, and that hasnt changed even with the extra 9meg Copilot eat up on the phone for its extra data cache..

Guest saeba_ryo
I spoke to someone who has their phone with app2sd on it, and he suggested a programme that does use the system for cache-ing, so i picked Copilot as a test, so I've run that, and my space has gone down 9meg, after running the programme, so its data cache is stored to the phones memory, if all cache-ing was done on the SD, then i would imagine that it wouldnt have moved at all, and the size of the Ext partition would have had an extra 9 meg added to it's usage, which it hasn't, it still remains the same.

I think whats been said is some have thought that cache has also been moved to the SD card, but i've just checked and no extra space has been taken from the SD card, only from the phones memory, so that 9meg data cache from Copilot IS on the phone..

No force closes yet, and I've just about run every app i have.

Also, the apps i have installed, are around the same size as the space taken from the SD Ext2 partiition, give or take a few meg, for whatever else, and that hasnt changed even with the extra 9meg Copilot eat up on the phone for its extra data cache..

Well, in apps2sd.sh included in the apps2sd.zip in first post, there is this:

echo Dalvik-cache, applications and the Cache were transferred to the memory card

echo the phone will reset oneself in 20 seconds

It certainly implies it transfers all cache to SDcard. Did you use the script, or entered the commands yourself?

Guest RottenFoxBreath
Well, in apps2sd.sh included in the apps2sd.zip in first post, there is this:

echo Dalvik-cache, applications and the Cache were transferred to the memory card

echo the phone will reset oneself in 20 seconds

It certainly implies it transfers all cache to SDcard. Did you use the script, or entered the commands yourself?

I never used that file from the first post..I got it from the original post on android.com.pl.

I'll download the two of them and check which one..3 links or so, and 2 different files?..they are two different sizes.

As far as it goes, at the moment..the phone is stable, and the card i use is a Transcend class 6 card.

Guest doubletakeit

/data/data/ was not transered to sdcard because it contains data of stock apps.

The applications and the cache were transfered but the data was not. The data decreases phone memory.

Guest max-greece

42apps installed and I am down to 110 Mb of storage. l tell you I am starting to get worried. Another 200 apps or so and I might be down as low as 20meg!

:)

Guest saeba_ryo
42apps installed and I am down to 110 Mb of storage. l tell you I am starting to get worried. Another 200 apps or so and I might be down as low as 20meg!

:)

lol, I wonder if that script works in 1.6 successfully, I will not upgrade to 2.1 since you reported 3G data is dead on Vodafone GR, I have the same carrier as you!

Guest max-greece
lol, I wonder if that script works in 1.6 successfully, I will not upgrade to 2.1 since you reported 3G data is dead on Vodafone GR, I have the same carrier as you!

Yeah I would say hold on a little while longer as I imagine the Greek version must be released soon.

As of now I think 3g is the only issue I have left.

2.1 is really growing on me - the addition of apps2sd has made a huge difference.

Guest zippo876
2.1 is really growing on me - the addition of apps2sd has made a huge difference.

Hi Max-Greece, Can you please guide me how did you do the APP2SD on your Optimus (I am on 2.1 Android version), I am new to Android, I have tried severaaaaaal ways to do this on my Optimus but couldn't succeed, seems everything fine with me but now once I tried to download ANYTHING from app-store all the time it says ""Download unsuccessful"".

According to my judgment APP2SD installation process has moved the download cache folder to the SD-card as well that is why phone can not download because there is no cache folder on the phone memory.

I am confused please please help me.

Much appreciated.

Sid

Edited by zippo876

Guest max-greece
Hi Max-Greece, Can you please guide me how did you do the APP2SD on your Optimus (I am on 2.1 Android version), I am new to Android, I have tried severaaaaaal ways to do this on my Optimus but couldn't succeed, seems everything fine with me but now once I tried to download ANYTHING from app-store all the time it says ""Download unsuccessful"".

According to my judgment APP2SD installation process has moved the download cache folder to the SD-card as well that is why phone can not download because there is no cache folder on the phone memory.

I am confused please please help me.

Much appreciated.

Sid

Right - first off I have little to no idea what I am doing and I just follow instructions.

Having said that when I first tried the installation of Apps2sd the thing failed and I ended up reinstalling the operating system which replaced the apps2sd and reset everything to use the internal memory. Obviously I lost all my data doing this but restoring contacts from google is easy and I had taken a backup of all my apps using Astro.

For me the problem appears to have been that I did not set Ext 2 partition to be primary as well as the main partition. When I reconfigured the card I removed the cache partition completely and formatted the card with just 2 partitions - the main one and the Ext 2 partition which I set at 1 Gb. Again - both partitions have to be set to be primary it seems.

I then rooted the phone according to the instructions in the "root your phone with one click" thread and reinstalled the apps2sd application.

Reinstalling the apps from that point on worked. Sadly if your problem is something else I can't help. What I know about Linux you can write on the back of a postage stamp.

Second time around it worked like a charm for me. No my biggest problem is where to store all the program icons so I can find them again.

Edited by max-greece

Guest saeba_ryo

I attempted to use app2sd today. Since I'm well versed with linux shells and basic commands, I choose to do it manually. I first created the necessary partitions on the card using the phone itself as the card reader. Initially the phone claimed I had an empty SD card, but after a reboot it successfully recognized the FAT32 partition. After that, I started adb shell giving every command one at the time, to be sure I know if it's successful or not. I had no problems, only after I rebooted my widgets were not working anymore. I removed ADW launcher (I prefer ADW over LG Home) and reinstalled, put everything back and now it's working properly and it's even snappier than before. I'm very pleased!

Using the V10d greek rom, Android 1.6 Donut.

Edited by saeba_ryo

Guest 2quark
I attempted to use app2sd today. ...-SNIP-...Using the V10d greek rom, Android 1.6 Donut.

Well, that is precise what I´m looking for... ´app2sd working on V10d´ (mine is the german) Android 1.6 Donut, because 2.1 baltic is at this time no option for me.

Please can u give some more info?

- do i have to root gt540 first?

- and if, what method u used?

Thanks in advance

Guest acac99

Can someone put up a more simplified way of installing apps2sd. I mean i managed to partion the sd card and extract the files, but i am totally lost on how to type the code and get the phone to reboot with it working. Any help will be much appreciated :) . P.S go easy im a noob lol

Guest doubletakeit
Added automatic installation app2sd. Just run APP2SD.bat

Unnecessary SDK TOOLS

LINK

adb shell cd /data/sd/app && rm *

I think it should be adb shell cd /data/app && rm *

Guest constantG

Hi, First post

I initially rooted and app2sd my 2gb sdcard that came with the phone without any problems. Now I've reset the phone to factory and put a 16gb sdhc card in and app2sd does not work.

The error is "can't open /sdcard/app2sd/app2sd.sh" when I use (method 1) and mount operation not permitted when I try to use the automatic method.

any ideas?

I forgot to unmount card before using the app2sd.sh command... all done now :)

Edited by constantG

Guest yozogod
Hi, First post

I initially rooted and app2sd my 2gb sdcard that came with the phone without any problems. Now I've reset the phone to factory and put a 16gb sdhc card in and app2sd does not work.

The error is "can't open /sdcard/app2sd/app2sd.sh" when I use (method 1) and mount operation not permitted when I try to use the automatic method.

any ideas?

I forgot to unmount card before using the app2sd.sh command... all done now :)

How do u type adb command??

Sorry im noob ;)