is there a simple way to fix my B7610 ?

Guest manarak

Guest manarak

My B7610 is so slow it is unbearable. It sometimes locks up for a full minute between screens.

Hi have had a look at all the threads on flashing the ROM, but I have following problems:

- I can't decide which ROM to use

- The flashing procedure seems simple enough, but the instructions of what to do after flashing are way too long and not detailed enough, for example they just say "unhide wm settings" without saying how to do it.

Is there any way to fix my phone without spending a day on flashing and tweaking settings?

Guest Kiwi Dave
My B7610 is so slow it is unbearable. It sometimes locks up for a full minute between screens.

Hi have had a look at all the threads on flashing the ROM, but I have following problems:

- I can't decide which ROM to use

- The flashing procedure seems simple enough, but the instructions of what to do after flashing are way too long and not detailed enough, for example they just say "unhide wm settings" without saying how to do it.

Is there any way to fix my phone without spending a day on flashing and tweaking settings?

By the time you have described all your symptoms in enough detail to enable those on this forum to help, you would have been able to flash the phone with a more stable ROM.

if you don't want to spend too much time customising etc then pick a full ROM. I'm using this one http://www.modaco.com/content/b7610-omnia-...om-build-21679/ and have found it very stable. I didn't need to make any major changes, just flash and you are good to go..

Dave

Guest roisagi
By the time you have described all your symptoms in enough detail to enable those on this forum to help, you would have been able to flash the phone with a more stable ROM.

if you don't want to spend too much time customising etc then pick a full ROM. I'm using this one http://www.modaco.com/content/b7610-omnia-...om-build-21679/ and have found it very stable. I didn't need to make any major changes, just flash and you are good to go..

Dave

with this full rom - dont you find it not having enough ram? many apps cannot work in the full version - not enough ram...

Guest Kiwi Dave
with this full rom - dont you find it not having enough ram? many apps cannot work in the full version - not enough ram...

Nope, all Apps that I've installed are working fine.

What apps are you having isues with?

Guest Kiwi Dave
apps that consume a lot of ram:

pocketshopping:

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-downlo...etshopping.html

and sensetimetracker:

http://sensetimetracker.codeplex.com/

fair enough, I don't use either of those apps, and to be honest I'm not really likely to. my phone 'life' is based largely around calls, appointments, email, mapping and games. I've got around 5-6 seperate apps installed at anyone time, and these work fine on 'most' of the custom ROMs. I didn't have much luck on any official ROM, but havne't had any major issues with the ROM I posted above...

Guest daskalos
apps that consume a lot of ram:

pocketshopping:

http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ppc-downlo...etshopping.html

and sensetimetracker:

http://sensetimetracker.codeplex.com/

I think you have many apps running on background that's why you're running out of memory. Tapping X will not close apps will not close an app. it will just minimize it.

I suggest before running the above apps, check your task manager to see if there are some apps that are runiing in the background and closing them

Guest roisagi
I think you have many apps running on background that's why you're running out of memory. Tapping X will not close apps will not close an app. it will just minimize it.

I suggest before running the above apps, check your task manager to see if there are some apps that are runiing in the background and closing them

i conf. X to close apps not minimize. i think teh RAM in our 7610 is simply not enough (256M, left around 70M after OS)..

on emore question:

i cannot get samsug volume control tp work: after install and SR - volume buttons still WM and not samsung volume...

Guest daskalos
i conf. X to close apps not minimize. i think teh RAM in our 7610 is simply not enough (256M, left around 70M after OS)..

on emore question:

i cannot get samsug volume control tp work: after install and SR - volume buttons still WM and not samsung volume...

Configuring x to close apps in that will ROM will not work, because it's WM 6.5.3

the above apps you mentioned only consumes not a lot of RAM

Also have you check WM build compatibility with the apps you mentioned like the shopping app?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest manarak

Thank you for all the replies on the thread.

Should I then go with the suggested ROM?

As I am a total newbie at tweaking ROM, is there a step by step guide to flashing a phone somewhere?

And I mean really step by step, not instructions like "enable windows settings, and then ..." - I will need a detailed description on how to carry out every step.

This really gets urgent, because now not only my phone hangs, but it also cannot receive SMS anymore, because the data ram is full.

From the 512 MB, about 400 are marked as "reserved" and 108 MB as "used", but the list of programs is empty.

I guess these are my contacts and SMS.

I have 1200 contacts and 2000 SMS (received and sent added).

But this shouldn't be a problem for a "business phone" should it?

Any way to move contacts and SMS to the memory card?

Guest sener.balci

I will push up this topic asking the same kind of question:

Whic ROM do you suggest for me?

I am looking at something with many RAM and ROM (experiment ou megalight), stable, I already note the tip with start menu removing, and I have a plenty of own tool that I prefer to Windows/Samsung standards.

I read the corresponding topics but a lot of ROM has been gone and I don't know which one remain the most recommandable...

Thank you in advance.

Guest guamzintrusion19

hello guys! i used to have this problem when i first got my phone and i was asking the same question. but the truth is, whether the recommended rom will work for u or not depends on ur personal preference and the things u prioritize in a phone. it took me more than 10 rom flashes before finlly getting exactly what i wanted. so i'll share my experience nd hope this helps u decide.

things that i considered and was looking for initially:

-enough ram

-does not hang, responsive

-no delays when switching or opening windows

-looks elegant

-widgets don't go crazy -- meaning a working landscape mode

my chaLLenges with full roms and some of the roms i've tried

-personally, i'm new to winmo so im not very comfortable editing too much technical stuff

-i can't sleep knowing that one of the features of my phone that i like is not working - this means that if a bug is not yet resolved and thaT bug is important for me.. i can't have that rom

-always not enough memory; full custom roms have more memory than the original but i'm still not satisfied. not fast enough for me.

-megalite versions are too dull looking

-landscape mode does not work, the wdgets still go crazy

what i did with the help of everyone else! :P

-i took note of all the things i want from the original including those samsung settings that look elegant

-made sure that i have all the caBs ready first. saved it in my memory card

-then i flashed to a megalite rom and right after installed all the cabs i like.

-i hit the cancel everytime there's a prompt to restart and will only restart once all the cabs are done.

-after restartng the phone, did the usual configuration i like for the apps/settings I've added.

-it took less than 30mins

-only tweak i did was overcloking to 900mhz

result

-no more ram problems, with all the apps i have, i still got 80 free ram at boot

-my phone's incredibly faster!!

-no more delay in screenswitching. i even forgot it's resistive touch!!

if u'r like me, then u can try this:

-daskalos megalite 21916

-spb mobile shell 3.5

-samsung camera from experiment thread

-samsung omnia 2 volume

-wifi nd bluetooth settings

-samsung phone settings

-resco file explorer

-resco task manager

-samsung radio

-othr softwares to costumize (sorry i don't have time to write all now but if someone is intereszted i can post it later)

sorry for the long post but i hope this helps u guys decide. i will b happy to help if i can. and i am always grateful to those who helped me enjoy my phone better!

Guest manarak

thank you!

that's already some good help.

I will look into it when I will have time - because right now my phone uses all my time, since I need it for business.

Is there a way to archive all the SMS messages or to move the message store to the memory card?

Also, I already noticed a huge increase in speed when I deactivated the widgets and switched to windows standard.

Guest guamzintrusion19
thank you!

that's already some good help.

I will look into it when I will have time - because right now my phone uses all my time, since I need it for business.

Is there a way to archive all the SMS messages or to move the message store to the memory card?

Also, I already noticed a huge increase in speed when I deactivated the widgets and switched to windows standard.

hmm only thing I can think of is creating a backup of the messages in pim backup. but that means u can't access those messages without having to load everything up -- messy! let's hope the experts can give us a better suggestion :P

Guest sener.balci

If you sort your messages into folders, PIM backup allows you to restore by folder.

That is one of the few tool allowing this.

Thank you for your feedback guamzintrusion19!

I was more and more thinking the same, but other like experiment looked so promising, I think I will try one or two anyway, specially as I am still on WM6.1 and there is 1 experiment for WM6.1 :P

I will also give a try to the Sence. Even if it is too much for me, it is the last ROM and daskalos might have put some special stuff as he might to suggest in one of his post :D