[ROM] 31/Jan r9: de-orangeated ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [eclair] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
Hi I throughtly test your rom since few days and its most upto date and lite rom and working almost file, I found some of the minor issue or bug listed below:

(1) just today I realize that there is no FM radio application, Please provide link to install

(2) Issue with Wifi Reconnection is still here, let us know how to solved

(3) Screen sensitivity is not good there is huge different between iphone scrren touch sensitivity and SF, some time screen is not respond to touch, mostly one strangh thing I relaize that when I put the phone on table or flat surface and try to operate the touch screen its not resposibe most of the time but when I hold the phone in hands than its suprisingly sensitive and resposive, I try this things lots of time and and found that screen is most of the time is like dead or less responsive let me know how to solved this kind of problem. write u more late

Urvish

Hi,

points 2 and 3 are the same with the Stock rom, the wifi one is a fairly common one with Android, there is another thread on this forum where people are working on resolving it.

if enough people REALLY want the Radio back, I'll upload it, but you can download r4 extract the zip to your computer, your looking for 'FM_zte.apk' and then install it using ADB 'adb install FM_zte.apk'.

Hi,

points 2 and 3 are the same with the Stock rom, the wifi one is a fairly common one with Android, there is another thread on this forum where people are working on resolving it.

if enough people REALLY want the Radio back, I'll upload it, but you can download r4 extract the zip to your computer, your looking for 'FM_zte.apk' and then install it using ADB 'adb install FM_zte.apk'.

When you say install using ADB, does that mean you can't just click it and install from sd card?

Btw was it causing slow downs on the original rom too?

Does the original orange rom also have the wifi issue?

Guest Sebastian404
When you say install using ADB, does that mean you can't just click it and install from sd card?

Btw was it causing slow downs on the original rom too?

you could install it from the SD card if you have an application installer application..... there's plenty on the marketplace.

I've never really created any metrics on how much faster/slower stripping the ROM of Orange junk is. But people seem to be much happier that its all gone.

I think I only tried the radio app once to see how poor it was, and never used it since, personally I don't see it as a huge loss, but others may differ.

Does the original orange rom also have the wifi issue?

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...850/wifi-issue/

Guest mobile579
The Task manager app is a ZTE application, there are plenty of others on the market place

however,,, Task killers are not allways a good thing and maybe you should consider not using one

I like the fact the ROM is as basic as possible but can anyone recommend a Task Killer?

I do not want ads or anything dodgy just a standard Task Manager? I do not want it to automatically kill tasks just a basic list the tasks and I select what to close.

Also why does virtually every app on the market have INTERNET permissions? Surely a task killer does not need INTERNET permissions!

TIA

Yes... but...

This is the reason why people asked me to remove it...

I'm glad you removed it - which is why I said it can be easily installed by people who want it. The rest of us can have a lean ROM without useless clutter.

Guest onlinejobwork
Hi,

Thanks Sab. for the reply

I can get it raio apps from zip file, wifi is not that serious issue for me, but but, the Screen Sensitivity while i am operating by putting on flat surface the screen is sensitivity is like almost dead and supricingly when I hold it in hand and using than its ok, is anyone working around screen sensitivity problem/identified? do u think handset replacement can solved the problem? or its same amongs all SF user?(any registry hack to increase screen sensitivity, I found something on xda website but now I cant find it atm) as its very difficult to send phone to service centre as I unlock it put screen protector etc. and load lots of stuff.

any solution working solution for wake up phone by any key? very annoying we all have to press power button to wake up all the time, atm i am using myLock apps but its not reliable and not respond all time

Thanks keep up good work, nicely done so far

Urvish

Guest oh!dougal

{Negative performance impact} is the reason why people asked me to remove {FM radio} ...

Is that verified?

Simply having the program installed makes for a significant performance hit?

Personally, with a dataplan contract, I'm probably better listening to internet radio if I really want (even though my very local FM stations aren't actually available that way) ... and I accept that its not an RDS radio and its a slight anachronism, having to be used with a wired headset (and being fussy about exactly which earphoness, to work decently), and even refusing to play through the speaker.

But I'm curious as to whether (or how) it would impact other things --- or whether it was simply strongly disliked by some.

I'm presuming that the Radio App is specific to the phone's hardware, and that its not as though there was either a 'vanilla Android' original or a better alternative hidden somewhere in the Market -- is that so?

Guest mELIANTE
Is that verified?

Simply having the program installed makes for a significant performance hit?

Yes I saw the difference my self and yes all it takes is to put the file in the phone.

The phone gets all jerky and very unpleasant to use. Not too slow but you do notice the animations get frame skipping and it is annoying :P

I'm stuck

I cannot get this installed, I've tried everything from adb-windows adb install FM_zte.apk to full folder order/adb-windows adb install FM_zte.apk and it doesnt work

Can anyone tell me exactly how to use adb install please?

I'm pretty certain my drivers are working properly because I did a full reset on the blade, and it lost superuser access, I then used the fastboot-windows to root it again so adb should be working

hi,

ive just installed the r5 update, thanks for the work seb.

please bear in mind im as green as grass in relation to this stuff.

my phone signal indoors has always bar wise been midway, the SF was on the low side although no problems with calls etc.

since the r5 upgrade albeit only 15 mins ago i now have a constant 5 bar signal.

is there reason ref the r5 upgrade for this, im assuming not but just asking.

joe..............

Guest sensory

Does any one notice that the progress bar on the stock Android browser isn't there when using this ROM? Is there any way to get it back?

The little circle is there to indicate loading, but the yellow progress bar under the address bar is absent.

Thanks!

Guest bantamsfan

Hi

Just got round to registering for the forum. I upgraded this week from Seb's r4 to r5 and the 12 key keyboard appears to have disappeared (the only one I can use with my sausage fingers) has it been removed? as pressing and holding the text input box thingy only brings up the android keyboard as an option. I know I can download a version from Android Market

Cheers

Hi

Just got round to registering for the forum. I upgraded this week from Seb's r4 to r5 and the 12 key keyboard appears to have disappeared (the only one I can use with my sausage fingers) has it been removed? as pressing and holding the text input box thingy only brings up the android keyboard as an option. I know I can download a version from Android Market

Cheers

x1

Hey Seb just installed teh R5, super nice, really clean, love it. Just wondered though....Where is the green and black clock widget? Any reason why it's not in there? Isn't it part of stock 2.1? Do you know where I can get it back?

Edited by Sere83

Guest oh!dougal
Hi

Cheers

I *like* the TouchPal keyboard.

IMHO it diminishes the phone to take it off, but Sebastian's intent is to produce a "plain vanilla android" installation, to which people will add (and change) whatever apps and enhancements take their fancy from time to time.

The idea is that the ONLY things in rom are Google's Android operating system and Google's own Apps.

A minimal framework, leaving you the maximum amount of room for any personal customisation.

Seems like he's being very tough-minded, but its his project that he is simply being good enough to share with the rest of us.

And if we want to, we can add TouchPal back

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Sebastian404
Hey Seb just installed teh R5, super nice, really clean, love it. Just wondered though....Where is the green and black clock widget? Any reason why it's not in there? Isn't it part of stock 2.1? Do you know where I can get it back?

The green and black analogue clock? That's not part of the stock image, its part of ZTE's Alarming or stopwatch, I forget which. The stock clock is much nicer tho, its the first widget on the list, 'Analog Clock' tho its got a the alarm clock icon just to throw you off..

Guest Sebastian404
my phone signal indoors has always bar wise been midway, the SF was on the low side although no problems with calls etc.

since the r5 upgrade albeit only 15 mins ago i now have a constant 5 bar signal.

is there reason ref the r5 upgrade for this, im assuming not but just asking.

I unfortunately have a femtocell at home so I have full coverage at home, so I've never noticed any increase in signal strength.

There is nothing I've done that should change that, apart from maybe remove the radio app, its possible having the radio (FM) chip operating could inter-fear with the radio (GSM) chip..... not sure how exactly...

Guest Sebastian404
Does any one notice that the progress bar on the stock Android browser isn't there when using this ROM? Is there any way to get it back?

The little circle is there to indicate loading, but the yellow progress bar under the address bar is absent.

Thanks!

I have spent a while trying to hack the Browser back into more 'stock' but Im starting to think I should probably divert my efforts to my AOSP rom, rather than mess with this one much further.

I've found quite a few interesting things going on with the modifications Orange made to the Browser, but I'm still looking into those really..

Guest Sebastian404
to produce a "plain vanilla android" installation, to which people will add (and change) whatever apps and enhancements take their fancy from time to time.

The idea is that the ONLY things in rom are Google's Android operating system and Google's own Apps.

A minimal framework, leaving you the maximum amount of room for any personal customisation.

That's the idea yes...

Seems like he's being very tough-minded, but its his project that he is simply being good enough to share with the rest of us.

And if we want to, we can add TouchPal back

However, considering the feedback I've been getting from R5.. I'm thinking of making a fork, have a slimed down version(r5 as it is now) and a fatter version (basically r4's apps with r5's fixes)...

I'm not sure tho. I guess the other way to do it would be to make some of Kitchen Application like the guys at modaco have and you could pick whatever you wanted :P... sounds a bit too much hardwork tho

Guest rab4169

Hi loaded the r5 rom and working great ,only thing is I can't get barnacle tether to work now .is this to do with root access as it worked on r2 before flashing .how do I go about fixing .cheers.

Guest StevenHarperUK
Hi loaded the r5 rom and working great ,only thing is I can't get barnacle tether to work now .is this to do with root access as it worked on r2 before flashing .how do I go about fixing .cheers.

Read the first post in this thread before asking.

It States :

Known Issues

Rooting - use the Universal AndRoot application.