[ROM] 31/Jan r9: de-orangeated ROM for ZTE Blade / Orange San Francisco [eclair] [OLED+TFT]

Guest Sebastian404

Please note this thread is about Sebastian404 ROM. Looks like we may have gone off a tangent..not the first time <lol>.

There is another thread open for a2sd.

Sebastian404, still waiting for your uploaded R4 mate, keen to try it out..

:)

Guest Sebastian404

Ok, here we go with r4..

This time its in a recovery.zip format, however if anyone needs it in a MCRi format please let me know.

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest Sebastian404
if its a lean rom I will definetly be trying it.

Orange left a lot of stuff in the ROM, I assume by accident, I've cleaned that out and this is how it stacks up..

STOCK:

/system: 212480K total, 142456K used, 70024K available (block size 4096)

De-Orangeated (r4):

/system: 212480K total, 108624K used, 103856K available (block size 4096)

Orange left a lot of stuff in the ROM, I assume by accident, I've cleaned that out and this is how it stacks up..

STOCK:

/system: 212480K total, 142456K used, 70024K available (block size 4096)

De-Orangeated (r4):

/system: 212480K total, 108624K used, 103856K available (block size 4096)

What did you remove, can this be removed from Pauls ROM too, or maybe provide an update.zip which removes it?

Can your update be applied to a phone with pauls r3 or are they mutually exclusive, can they be merged into a single rom update?

Edited by rjm2k

Guest keencyclist

Hi Sebastian404, just installed your new R4 rom and I really like it- well done. Only thing I had to do was put my apn settings in again. The new android start up screen is great. Many thanks.

Edited by keencyclist

Guest Sebastian404
Question: Does the boot.img you've included support a2sd please ?

Its the stock boot image with the Orange Logo replaced with the standard Android one.

Guest Sebastian404
What did you remove, can this be removed from Pauls ROM too, or maybe provide an update.zip which removes it?

Can your update be applied to a phone with pauls r3 or are they mutually exclusive, can they be merged into a single rom update?

I believe Paul is working on an updated version of his own ROM, I'm sure he will remove the same things.

You can apply this ROM over a phone that already has Paul's R3 installed, but it will replace it.

My Aim to remove all the extra crap while still staying as close to stock as possible, where Paul is working on a much more customized ROM, so merging them is somewhat against the direction I'm going in

Guest Sebastian404
Ah just one thing, has live wallpapers been removed or am I missing something. Thanks.

No your right the live wallpapers have been removed, I should mention that in the first page, thanks.

Guest Sebastian404
i would appreciate it in MCRi format please sebastian..i assume you load it onto the sd card and then the phone will flash [like pauls]

I'll put together an MCRi file and post it later... it will be the same sort of method as paul's ROM, only it wont include my boot.img..

Edited by Sebastian404

Guest keencyclist

One thing I have noticed with this new rom is the notification light is working perfect. Constant flashing with any new message or email and bring the phone out of sleep by pressing the back button. Excellent stuff. If you could sort out a live wallpaper zip update its perfect.

Guest Sebastian404
If you could sort out a live wallpaper zip update its perfect.

To be honest I removed them since I'm not a big fan of wasting space/cpu on them, but I've made you an update file, can you test it out and let me know if its any good?

Guest Sebastian404
Am I right in saying this file needs renaming to 'Update.zip' before flash?

If your using Clockwork recovery you can use the 'choose zip from sdcard' option, that allows you to have any filename you like..

Guest oh!dougal
i would appreciate it in MCRi format please sebastian..i assume you load it onto the sd card and then the phone will flash [like pauls]

Scarey, do you appreciate that the point of using ClockworkMod is that it provides a safety net for (and facilitates) future adventures ? ... AND incremental (additive) upgrades? ... AND that zip files have integrity checking built-in ? ( so you don't need to check for corruption with MD5 hashes ... )

The ClockworkMod/zip-file route is the more user-friendly one!

@keencyclist -- Notification - is is it working nicely when NOT attached to the charger?

@Sebastian -- Its not clear how ruthless you are being in ripping out Orange's stuff. They had put on a Homescreen switcher that would seem a nice way to explore alternatives ...

The point of having a stripped down rom would seem to be (apart from decluttering) to leave more room for personal-choice downloads, and trying different ways of doing things. Thus anything like that Switcher would seem to have a valid claim to its space in the rom.

Also, I wonder if you are intending to 'roll-in' established tweaks as they prove themselves to be generally useful? -- The only candidate I can spot at this point is probably the JavaVM resizing. (Though maybe you've 'fixed' notifications - or perhaps just removed whatever was messing them up!)

And yes, cheer up, please! This seems like great stuff. :)

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Sebastian404
Slightly off topic, but why so sad in your avatar Sebastian ;-)

Ahh, its a long and painful story that involves a girl... and so emo its best suited for LiveJournal, or a My Chemical Romance forum...

Guest Sebastian404
@Sebastian -- Its not clear how ruthless you are being in ripping out Orange's stuff. They had put on a Homescreen switcher that would seem a nice way to explore alternatives ...

The point of having a stripped down rom would seem to be (apart from decluttering) to leave more room for personal-choice downloads, and trying different ways of doing things. Thus anything like that Switcher would seem to have a valid claim to its space in the rom.

Also, I wonder if you are intending to 'roll-in' established tweaks as they prove themselves to be generally useful? -- The only candidate I can spot at this point is probably the JavaVM resizing. (Though maybe you've 'fixed' notifications - or perhaps just removed whatever was messing them up!)

And yes, cheer up, please! This seems like great stuff. :)

Well to be honest, I originally started off with the plan of making this as much like the totally bare image you get in the Emulator, only with the abilities to make calls, but I've ended up keeping a lot more stuff than that.

When I removed the Orange Home Screen, I took the selector too since there was no point it in, but I guess it could be made into an add-on too...

I think the debate about the JavaVM size was still on going, but I did leave the phone rootable so it should not be too hard for the end user to change it.

all the cooked roms on here have the orange homeswitcher stripped out. Paul's r2 and r3 had it disabled, when i tried them, plus Sebastian404 made it clear early in the thread that the point of his rom was to make it as 'lean' as possible. It's alway a balance what to take out and what to leave in, but it is very simple to add stuff on our androids, and for the most part its FREE.

Edited by xzyk

Guest Evil Disco Guy

Is it just me or is there no Superuser app? Noticed then I was trying to use root in Estrongs File Explorer. And the Exit menu option in the Browser is messed up, shows @ and a bunch of numbers. Did a full wipe before installing.

Edited by Evil Disco Guy