Thinking about a smartphone-San Francisco??

Guest paulr1949

Guest paulr1949

Hello

The title and description say most of it - I am completely new to smartphones so this seemed the best place to start. I would like to get one with wifi, I know very little about 3G, and my satnav has recently expired, so that is of interest to me too.

I am on Orange - a very long-term "EQ Virgin" contract, where I have no line rental and just pay call/text charges. I would prefer to stay on this if I can, but wonder if my sim will work in a smartphone, and what I would have to pay for 3G data. If I can't use the sim, I will probably try and get a giff-gaff sim and get the phone unlocked.

I have looked at the review/demo of the Orange San Francisco, and it sounds a pretty good buy to me. On the Orange website it lists "Satnav" as a feature: is this satnav with instructions or showing you the way on a map, and is it with google maps or orange maps? Does anyone know if you can get an app for satnav with directions if the built-in one doesn't have them?

Sorry there are so many questions! Thanks in advance for any help

Paul

Guest tanivula
Hello

The title and description say most of it - I am completely new to smartphones so this seemed the best place to start. I would like to get one with wifi, I know very little about 3G, and my satnav has recently expired, so that is of interest to me too.

I am on Orange - a very long-term "EQ Virgin" contract, where I have no line rental and just pay call/text charges. I would prefer to stay on this if I can, but wonder if my sim will work in a smartphone, and what I would have to pay for 3G data. If I can't use the sim, I will probably try and get a giff-gaff sim and get the phone unlocked.

I have looked at the review/demo of the Orange San Francisco, and it sounds a pretty good buy to me. On the Orange website it lists "Satnav" as a feature: is this satnav with instructions or showing you the way on a map, and is it with google maps or orange maps? Does anyone know if you can get an app for satnav with directions if the built-in one doesn't have them?

Sorry there are so many questions! Thanks in advance for any help

Paul

Hi Paul, like you I'm considering getting one of these San Francisco's (being on the other side of the world, it thankfully coincides with a trip to the UK shortly).

As for your Satnav question, yes there are other options other than the built in google maps or the orange maps that come with the phone. I think one of the popular ones is CoPilot, but considering the android market, there are probably others available which will give you turn by turn directions. Google maps require you to be 'online' so it streams map data over 3g while you are out, a way around this has been to go through the proposed route over wifi when you're at home which caches the data for that use - only problem is if you take a detour!

From lurking in the San Francisco specific forum, if you have a orange sim then they give you a further discount off the phone. Also the phone is locked to orange sims so should work ok with the one you've got, otherwise it can be unlocked very cheaply.

Guest dannyboy_turbo

hi there!

The sim card you have will work fine. you may need photo messaging and or the 3g data service adding to your "Virgin" account depending on the age of your sim card. You WILL definately be able to keep your tariff just pop in the old sim but if you use data you will need to get a bundle of some sort stuck on as the pay as you use option will work out pricey if used daily. Ring 150 from your handset and someone will apply any missing services and any data bundles for you.

As your "Virgin OVP" orange tariff is more of a pay monthly tariff with no commitment rather than being PAYG i don't think you'd be eligible for a discount off the purchase price as i'm sure the discounts are given through PAYG retentions.

and yeah up until recently i worked in an orange call centre for nearly 10 years! LOL!

hope this helps!

cheers

Dan

Edited by dannyboy_turbo