Turn-by-turn Navigation with ZTE Blade aka San Francisco

Guest vulpy

main reason for this post: the GPS performance is top notch on the Blade !!!

- First time I really felt like I could drop my dedicated sat nav for my phone (the iPhone 3GS is awesome on the SW side but pure crap when it comes to performance/acq time)

I will update this post as I go:

- Using Navigo 2.6.1 now and acqusition time is of max 15 sec (on the move)

- Never lost signal even under heavy rain and crowded areas

- "Status GPS" (free on Android market) wil keep your A-GPS data updated so you can always lock in a blink of an eye

It would be great to run some comparisons to the iPhone, Pulse, Pulse Mini (the mini is a tragedy...)...

eventual benchmarks using SNR or other standard figures.

The chanllenge is open!

*** To be updated shortly: side-by-side GPS perfs comparison with the Pulse ***

Edited by vulpy

Guest Nymins

Does the GPS use data from the mobile network you're connected to? Or is it really dedicated and just uses satellites for the navigation?

Sorry for the noobish question! Never had (I say had, its on its way) a phone with GPS built in! :)

Edited by Nymins

Guest piercy
Does the GPS use data from the mobile network you're connected to? Or is it really dedicated and just uses satellites for the navigation?

Sorry for the noobish question! Never had (I say had, its on its way) a phone with GPS built in! :)

mine worked fine on a journey home from work. Im doing some running with a friend all my previous ones used my hero. All current ones will use my san fran so soon see how they come out. But the drive home seemed excellent.

Your choice, it will work either way. Mobile network data only speeds-up the acquisition time (time to get the lock on the satelites).

The map data resides on your SD card...

Guest daniel_owen_uk

Only messed with it, love the car dock, "NAVIGATE TO SAINSBURIES".

Found my way :)

Lock is very quick and usually finds a sat lock even indoors! Hero never did.

Your choice, it will work either way. Mobile network data only speeds-up the acquisition time (time to get the lock on the satelites).

The map data resides on your SD card...

Guest oh!dougal
Ahhh i see. Does it just use the mobile network for that initial location fix and thats it? Or does it keep sending bits of data after that?

Two things to get clear.

GPS and Navigation.

GPS gets your location from satelites, maybe with an initial assist from the phone network (or even local & known wifi networks)

So no data transfer cost.

Navigation and mapping CAN be either online (constant data chatter) or offline (you've downloaded the s/w & maps, so you don't need to reconnect).

Google Maps/Navigation is online style.

Co pilot is offline style.

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest geezer466
Two things to get clear.

GPS and Navigation.

GPS gets your location from satelites, maybe with an initial assist from the phone network (or even local & known wifi networks)

So no data transfer cost.

Navigation and mapping CAN be either online (constant data chatter) or offline (you've downloaded the s/w & maps, so you don't need to reconnect).

Google Maps/Navigation is online style.

Co pilot is offline style.

The OVI system as I understand it can do either. It will download the required portion of the map as you move into that area or load it from the card (memory) if stored locally.

I assume it is not possible to use the google system in offline mode (maps stored locally) as I have never seen the maps made available as a download?

Guest robot1000
The OVI system as I understand it can do either. It will download the required portion of the map as you move into that area or load it from the card (memory) if stored locally.

I assume it is not possible to use the google system in offline mode (maps stored locally) as I have never seen the maps made available as a download?

If you set up your Google Navigation prior to leaving then it downloads the route onto your phone and therefore if you lose your data signal then it'll still work. The issues start occurring if you deviate from the route at all

Guest njsb14

I am running CoPilot 8 on my SF and must agree the GPS signal is excellent and the screen is a huge improvment over my old Nokia N95-8GB.

Sat Nav is great, speed safety camera alerts, CoPilot can check for latest camera database update on each load of CoPilot, so can feel protected.