Wait for UK 2.1 release or not?

Guest AssistiveTech

Guest AssistiveTech

I'm wondering whether to wait for the official UK release of 2.1 or not. Initially I thought I would wait as I thought it might be imminent, but no sign of it yet. Anyone know when?

I'd rather only go through all the hassle of upgrading once. Will there be any practical difference between the 2 versions after running the app to change locale?

Guest PaulZero
I'm wondering whether to wait for the official UK release of 2.1 or not. Initially I thought I would wait as I thought it might be imminent, but no sign of it yet. Anyone know when?

I'd rather only go through all the hassle of upgrading once. Will there be any practical difference between the 2 versions after running the app to change locale?

Your warranty will still be intact if you wait for the UK 2.1, as I don't believe the warranty extends to other ROMs as official as they may be outside of your own area.

For the most part people seem to getting on fine with the Baltics 2.1 ROM, so it's a case of how much you need your warranty.

I can't afford to chuck mine away, so I'm still on 1.6 and shall remain so until the proper UK ROM is out.

Guest mickutz

it does have some advantages over 1.6 but not that noticable and on the downside, for example, on my phone gmail doesn't work anymore after 2 days of using the new rom

there are quite a lot of people complaining about bugs on the forum.... so i'd say you better wait

Guest he6rt6gr6m

It's just common sense. How can a company say the warranty isn't intact when there is a UK ROM on it? There's nothing been edited or modified.

Guest PaulZero
It's just common sense. How can a company say the warranty isn't intact when there is a UK ROM on it? There's nothing been edited or modified.

Warranties seldom adhere to the rules of common sense. Give me a bit of small print from LG / Carphone Warehouse saying installing an official GT540 ROM from somewhere other than the UK is fine, and I'll accept it, but until then I'm going to err on the side of caution and say unless you update when the official update tool says so, it's a bit of a risky area.

Guest he6rt6gr6m
Warranties seldom adhere to the rules of common sense. Give me a bit of small print from LG / Carphone Warehouse saying installing an official GT540 ROM from somewhere other than the UK is fine, and I'll accept it, but until then I'm going to err on the side of caution and say unless you update when the official update tool says so, it's a bit of a risky area.

How would they know? The phone is going to be formatted when you install the new one!

Guest PaulZero
How would they know? The phone is going to be formatted when you install the new one!

And if it dies whilst updating somehow, or whilst using a ROM that isn't official for your region?

Again, link me to a warranty that says that's fine and that'll be awesome I'll probably tinker with the Baltic ROM tomorrow. However I really don't think my warranty covers installing ROMs from outside my region that weren't released to me officially. I know it sounds awfully mad but companies seldom offer such wide ranging warranties.

Guest honestguvnor

It is an interesting question what happens in practice if a bricked phone with non standard software is returned during the warranty period. Does anybody know from experience?

Guest PaulZero

I sent LG a message about this, asking about how the Baltics ROM would affect our warranties.

Cheers LG for totally not answering my question, however...

Dear Paul,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Although the software update to version 2.1 (Eclaire) is available in the UK, we are currently waiting for each individual network to verify this upgrade. However, you can continue to track this progress by connecting your handset to the LGMobile Update Tool you should have installed to your PC.

Best regards,

LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

----------------------------------

LG Customer Services

UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954

Mon-Fri 9am to 8pm Sat 9am-6pm

I got my phone from Carphone Warehouse, therefore I have no "network". Explain that one.

Edited by PaulZero

Guest ASY9650

LG confirmed to me through phone support that it would invalidate my warranty. However, I went ahead and flashed it anyway partly because I share the same opinion as he6rt6gr6m.

Guest Carbonize

If you have no network what does your phone connect to?

There is a code on each phone that says what firmware it originally had and if you look at the list of available firmwares there is an entry for CarPhone Warehouse.

Guest PaulZero
If you have no network what does your phone connect to?

There is a code on each phone that says what firmware it originally had and if you look at the list of available firmwares there is an entry for CarPhone Warehouse.

Yes, not being a complete idiot I'm aware of this. Note the use of quotes around the word network. My phone connects to O2, however it is not tied to O2. I am also aware that there is specific Firmware for the Carphone Warehouse as I had to specify this when choosing a USB driver for the Mobile Update Tool.

I was simply querying LG's use of the word "network". But hey never mind.

Guest PaulZero

Well, here's the response to my actual original question...

Dear Mr xxxx,

Thank you for your email regarding your GT540.

By installing anything other than the UK version this will void your warranty. The UK version should be available very soon as compatibility checks with the various networks are nearly complete. i hope this helps.

Best regards,

LG Electronics UK Helpdesk

----------------------------------

LG Customer Services

UK: 0844 847 5454 Ireland: 0818 27 6954

Mon-Fri 9am to 8pm Sat 9am-6pm

Edited by PaulZero