Stuck at Android logo, might be bricked

Guest nintylinky

Guest nintylinky

So, I was on R3, and thought about updating it as I knew Paul had updated the download, I did exactly what I did last time i.e. changed the name to 'mcri-system.tar.gz' and then put it on my sd card, and now its stuck on the android robot logo, I have re-flashed the bootloader, and everything but I reboot and it just stays at that screen.

Does anyone know what I can do.

Guest Ryan Fitz
So, I was on R3, and thought about updating it as I knew Paul had updated the download, I did exactly what I did last time i.e. changed the name to 'mcri-system.tar.gz' and then put it on my sd card, and now its stuck on the android robot logo, I have re-flashed the bootloader, and everything but I reboot and it just stays at that screen.

Does anyone know what I can do.

My device seems to have done the same! Did you find a solution?

Guest G0DSPEED
So, I was on R3, and thought about updating it as I knew Paul had updated the download, I did exactly what I did last time i.e. changed the name to 'mcri-system.tar.gz' and then put it on my sd card

Are you 100% sure its name is mcri-system.tar.gz and not mcri-system.tar.gz.gz??

Guest Simon O

Double check the file on the SD card doesn't have an extra .gz on the end. By default, Windows will append an extra .gz when downloading the archive. Easiest way to check is to delete the .gz from the end and see if Windows either alerts you that changing the extension might break the file or Windows changes the icon from an archive to a white box. If it doesn't then this could be the reason why you can't flash the image.

Guest Maringer
My device seems to have done the same! Did you find a solution?

I had the problem earlier today (albeit upgrading from R2 to R3).

I wondered if the problem was perhaps due to a corruption of the MCRI-system file which I had put on the microSD card so I took the card out of my SF and checked it in my old WinMob phone. The file had been appended with ".flashed" which indicated to me that the installation of R3 had failed in some manner. As I was at work and away from my home PC, I downloaded the R3 file once again, copied it across to the SD card via the WinMob phone then put the card back in the SF. The ROM then installed correctly. May be worth a try if you have the ability to copy the file across to the SD card outside your SF.

Not sure why the original file I downloaded had a problem but I have a feeling it may be due to the OS/Browser used to download it. I'm got a netbook at home with a Ubuntu installation dual-boot with a small WinXP partition. I spent hours and hours on Sunday trying to install R2 while using Ubuntu but couldn't get adb or fastboot to work at all on the Ubuntu installation despite following numerous tutorials from all over the place. Endless "Waiting for Device" messages or "No device attached"! In the end, in desperation, I booted into the WinXP installation and was able to use fastboot-windows from there then copy R2 across to the SD card (after downloading it in WinXP) from where it installed successfully.

When I attempted to install R3 earlier today, I downloaded it via Ubuntu and copied it across to the phone from there, thinking the existing superboot would install the ROM correctly. However, this wasn't the case so I'm thinking I may have to continue using that WinXP installation in the future.

I'm a Linux noob (it's about 15 years since I used a Unix system back at University!) so can anyone explain a reason why I should be encountering problems with files downloaded via Ubuntu when WinXP is fine in comparison? Most bizarre. I'm pretty sure I've got the Android SDK installed correctly on Ubuntu as well so I wonder why adb simply won't work for me either?

Guest G0DSPEED
Double check the file on the SD card doesn't have an extra .gz on the end. By default, Windows will append an extra .gz when downloading the archive. Easiest way to check is to delete the .gz from the end and see if Windows either alerts you that changing the extension might break the file or Windows changes the icon from an archive to a white box. If it doesn't then this could be the reason why you can't flash the image.

Way I checked earlier was to right click and then select properties, it will show you the full filename with the . windows file type