How to remove Superuser

Guest N4V

Flashed and re-prom'd back to stock build (from custom r2) using instructions from Pinn'd topic of Stock images, however it still has the Superuser listed in the applications. Cannot find an option to uninstall it. Think it gets installed via fastboot process.

Orange are replacing the handset tomorrow (faulty speakerphone) so really need to know how to get rid of it?

Can anyone help! thanks in advance.

Guest clivec

only thing i can think of is to install root explorer, and navigate to /system/app, then remove it from there (remember to mount r/w)

or via adb if you're familiar with it

Edited by clivec

Android System Info (free from the android market) shows the superuser app and gives the option to uninstall it when you tap on it. I haven't actually tried to uninstall it though cause I need my SF rooted.

Thanks for the replies.

Tried the Android System Info but it comes back with uninstall unsucessful. You get the option for it but doesn't seem to work. Made sure it was not running but still the same.

Don't really know adb or root explorer and what was meant by mount r/w? Is root explorer a App for the phone or is it something you install on the PC and connect the phone to it?

Guest clivec

Sorry for being a bit vague, root explorer you can download from the market, although it's not free. It is worth having tho, cos as you get to spend more time with android and find you're way around it will become an invaluable tool. Should you choose to buy it, you need to open it then navigate to the folder /system/app. In the app folder you will find all the pre installed system apps that are normally non-removable. Amongst them you will find superuser.apk.

At this point you should check a small greyish button at the top right of the window that will say either mount r/o or mount r/w, this means read write, or read only, you need to mount r/w, then push and hold on superuser.apk and a dialog box will pop up with the option to remove it.

Hope this helps.

Actually, as i was proof reading this, i just thought of another alternative, which is free. Download "titanium backup" which is free but has more options as a donate app. Open that, let it gain superuser rights and do its thing. If you hit the middle tab, you will see a list a list of all your apps, pick superuser and same as above really, choose uninstall.

Sorry for being a bit vague, root explorer you can download from the market, although it's not free. It is worth having tho, cos as you get to spend more time with android and find you're way around it will become an invaluable tool. Should you choose to buy it, you need to open it then navigate to the folder /system/app. In the app folder you will find all the pre installed system apps that are normally non-removable. Amongst them you will find superuser.apk.

At this point you should check a small greyish button at the top right of the window that will say either mount r/o or mount r/w, this means read write, or read only, you need to mount r/w, then push and hold on superuser.apk and a dialog box will pop up with the option to remove it.

Hope this helps.

Actually, as i was proof reading this, i just thought of another alternative, which is free. Download "titanium backup" which is free but has more options as a donate app. Open that, let it gain superuser rights and do its thing. If you hit the middle tab, you will see a list a list of all your apps, pick superuser and same as above really, choose uninstall.

clivec thanks for your help.

Not attempted root explorer as the phone is going back to orange tomorrow.

Tried titanium backup but Superuser is not listed on the middle apps tab. Attempted to stop the app, clear cache, restart the phone but still it does not appear in the list.

Try Super Manager, its free

Trying but cannot download anything from the market at moment. Maybe an issue with their servers. Will try again otherwise will have to setup the APN for my 02 sim to connect via 3g... thanks

Guest clivec

I'm pretty sure unrooting using universal androot does not remove superuser.apk, i've come across this before somewhere. It may disappear from the menu tho.

Guest tmobilepulse
I'm pretty sure unrooting using universal androot does not remove superuser.apk, i've come across this before somewhere. It may disappear from the menu tho.

i just used this method to remove the superuser. :)

Guest feckineejit
i just used this method to remove the superuser. :)

worked for me as well superuser gone, thanks tmobilepulse ;)

Edited by feckineejit

Ok, managed to install Supermanager and browse to \system\apps. Only had option of deleting the apk which i did but it still visible.

The apk is no longer in the folder though.

Not 100% sure about rooting and unrooting. Also as the apk is no longer there the other apps being recommended may not see it...

:) Universal Androot as suggested by tmobilepulse has worked! Finally. thanks tmobilepulse and all other contributors.

Installed Universal Androot, loaded app, selected Root.. successfully rooted then chose Undo root.. Superuser gone!

Finally did a factory reset via settings/privacy and its back to Orange default...

Thanks to all.. will update the stock ROM thread for others...

Lets hope the replacement has no issues...

Edited by N4V

Guest feckineejit
Ok, managed to install Supermanager and browse to \system\apps. Only had option of deleting the apk which i did but it still visible.

The apk is no longer in the folder though.

Not 100% sure about rooting and unrooting. Also as the apk is no longer there the other apps being recommended may not see it...

Ok will try universal androot.. what steps need to be performed?

I just download it from apps manager, clicked on "Superuser for Android 2.0 -2.2", clicked on "Do not install superuser" then clicked "Go Root", when it finished i clicked "Undo Root" and thats it. go to setting>applications and remove Universal Androot :)

You beat me to it, i gotta learn to type faster ;)

Edited by feckineejit

I just download it from apps manager, clicked on Superuser for Android 2.0 -2.2, clicked on Do not install superuser then clicked Go Root, when it when it finished i clicked Undo Root and thats it. go to setting>applications and remove Universal Androot :)

thanks for the step by step. Don't think I clicked on Do not install Superuser, but it worked all the same..