camera shutter sound

Guest amare

Guest reallordx
The zip killed my camcorder!

I can confirm this, removing the VideoRecord.ogg (or renaming) results in a broken* camcorder. Must be due to Froyo? I know this method worked in eclair.

Removing the camera sound works.

*Hit record:

The camcorder won't play a sound (obviously).

The button turns yellow.

There is no timer running, so the record doesn't start

Hitting the button again to stop (return to grey) doesn't work.

Putting back the sound file fixes this.

As the camcorder app is stock i assume it can't be altered to start without a sound, so a valid solution should be to replace the original sound with a silent one.

(I'm gonna try this now ;) )

Edit:

Works as expected =)

Solution is for users, who know how to use adb only. (I don't know how to make an update.zip).

Remove the .txt from the file, the forum refused to accept an .ogg upload, so I had to rename it.

USE ADB (or wait for someone smarter who creates a update.zip)

As always i'm not responsible if something goes wrong. Use at own risk.

VideoRecord.ogg.txt

Edited by reallordx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SqueakyG

Hi, bit of a bump.

I would like to get rid of the camera shutter sound, but the ADB stuff is way too complicated for me... honestly, I have read everything linked from this thread, and I couldn't understand enough of it to get started. I'm pretty new to all this stuff, and I'm still using the stock Orange 2.1 rom.

I have managed to get clockworkmod installed, so I think I would be able to install an update zip from there, if someone would be willing to make one?

I see that rjm2k made one back in October, but as it removes the VideoRecord.ogg file it breaks the camcorder. reallordx explained that VideoRecord.ogg has to be replaced with an identical but silent file. Also in a different thread someone wrote: "Add this line to build.prop ro.camera.sound.forced=0" but I have no idea what that means.

Please can someone with the talent and the spare time make a little ROM update to use in clockworkmod? I would be very grateful.

Edited by SqueakyG

Guest Azurren

Until someone posts a update.zip:

Download the silent attachment above (And remove the .txt extension :lol:)

Download an app such as root explorer (Paid) or es filemanager (free)

With es file manage enable root permissions and mount system as writeable

Copy silent.ogg

Browse to /system/media/audio/ui/

Find the two sounds: camera_click.ogg and VideoRecord.ogg and rename them (Or delete them, up to you)

Paste silent.ogg and rename it to "VideoRecord.ogg"

The camera works without a sound file so no need to paste silent again

Looks complicated but it is about as complicated as moving and renaming files on your PC :)

Can't we just install a different camera app? The stock camera app and camcorder is rubbish.

To be honest this is a massive oversight and there should be an option built into the software.

Quick guide for the rest of us android noobs?

get camera advance lite or pro from market

u dont need to use adb and you can have a much better variety of settings

Guest SqueakyG

Download the silent attachment above (And remove the .txt extension :lol:)

I tried using ES File Explorer, but it wouldn't let me use its Root Explorer options. I allow superuser permissions, but it says it can only work for systems with "CM ROM" or "HiAPK ROM", and the test fails (I am using stock Orange 2.1 ROM). I would not be willing to pay for the paid app Root Explorer (especially if I don't know if it might be just as useless).

get camera advance lite or pro from market

u dont need to use adb and you can have a much better variety of settings

Nope, Camera Advance Lite still plays the San Francisco's main shutter sound file (as well as its own optional sound file too).

Edited by SqueakyG

Guest SqueakyG

Well, I'm done tearing my hair out. I give up. The amount of time and effort I have spent on this was very disproportional to the tiny thing I was trying to achieve. The camera on the SanFran is too rubbish to be worth using anyway. It just would have been nice if I could prevent my phone from making very loud noises against my control. It's not even about using the camera, it's about having control over stupid noises. And I have failed.

Tried ES File Explorer: wouldn't let me have root options.

Tried a different camera app: the SanFran's shutter ogg is hardwired to play in other camera apps too.

Spent all afternoon trying to learn and understand ADB and get USB drivers installed: I get "permission denied" on most commands, and I'm too unskilled, uneducated and tired to learn anything more. I'm done.

• 1 month later...
Guest adnewall
USE ADB (or wait for someone smarter who creates a update.zip)

As always i'm not responsible if something goes wrong. Use at own risk.

VideoRecord.ogg.txt

Mine too when renaming the sound file stopped the camcorder from working. Though changing the file to this silent sound worked great – thank you so much Lordx.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Rizzler

Download the silent attachment above (And remove the .txt extension :D)

Copy silent.ogg

Browse to /system/media/audio/ui/

Find the two sounds: camera_click.ogg and VideoRecord.ogg and rename them (Or delete them, up to you)

Paste silent.ogg and rename it to "VideoRecord.ogg"

The camera works without a sound file so no need to paste silent again

Looks complicated but it is about as complicated as moving and renaming files on your PC :D

Im using ES Filemanager right now with root, how to move to system from sdcard? Nervermind i took Root Explorer instead.

Edited by Rizzler

• 5 months later...