No posts here?

Guest hah2110

Guest DanWilson
Especially with this going on: http://gizmodo.com/5656921/t+mobiles-g2-ro...ter-a-jailbreak

I don't get it

Wow. Why do that to a phone at all? (In T-Mobile / HTC's direction) We want root, power over our phones. I mean, why do companies in general try to block modifying the software pre-installed on the device? Xbox, PS3, Wii, HTC phones, Droid X, G2, iPods/iPhones/iPads. We purchased it, let us do our thing. If what we do can properly screw something up, don't let us use that part.

/Rant mode off.

And there is a post now. Hell, there's two :)

Guest Michael Perry
Wow. Why do that to a phone at all? (In T-Mobile / HTC's direction) We want root, power over our phones. I mean, why do companies in general try to block modifying the software pre-installed on the device? Xbox, PS3, Wii, HTC phones, Droid X, G2, iPods/iPhones/iPads. We purchased it, let us do our thing. If what we do can properly screw something up, don't let us use that part.

/Rant mode off.

There are a lot of updates over on XDA these days around things like temp root, something called temporary persistent root which is an interesting line, and other news. Personally, I think that the CyanogenMOD guys are gonna crack this nut pretty soon and we'll have the G2 the way we want it. I want this to replace my NexusOne phone but the N1 is wide open, XDA has so many mods, ROMs, etc. Its gonna take awhile but I think the right minds are on this.

Way back when, I got a HTC Magic while working in Chennai India. No market, no way of flashing new ROMs. No root on it. Until a month went by. I believe the G2 will take until the first OTA and maybe until HTC has to release the sources to stay in compliance with the GPL. It will go down. It mind over matter.

Guest DanWilson
There are a lot of updates over on XDA these days around things like temp root, something called temporary persistent root which is an interesting line, and other news. Personally, I think that the CyanogenMOD guys are gonna crack this nut pretty soon and we'll have the G2 the way we want it. I want this to replace my NexusOne phone but the N1 is wide open, XDA has so many mods, ROMs, etc. Its gonna take awhile but I think the right minds are on this.

Way back when, I got a HTC Magic while working in Chennai India. No market, no way of flashing new ROMs. No root on it. Until a month went by. I believe the G2 will take until the first OTA and maybe until HTC has to release the sources to stay in compliance with the GPL. It will go down. It mind over matter.

Urm whut?

I'd like the G2 as well. If it was cracked open and available in Scotland. Which I think it won't be (in Scotland) so I want a Desire Z. Which also has Sense. Which looks cool. :)

Guest flash2004

/Rant mode off.

This is a security feature for those majority of users who don't know what they are doing when they root their device. (see most of the posts in the SF forum as examples :))

Guest DanWilson
This is a security feature for those majority of users who don't know what they are doing when they root their device. (see most of the posts in the SF forum as examples :))

:)

Yah but what about the people who do know what they are doing?

Left to rot until either some pro finds a workaround / permanent root / decides to remove the damn NAND that is causing the problems.

The last option was a joke. Just before someone gets any ideas.

There is also a difference.

How many people who have no idea of what they are doing are going to try to root a £500 (or something) phone?

Now, how many people who have no idea of what they are doing are going to try to root a £99 phone?