Blocking data usage

Guest deweylewie

Guest deweylewie

Is there any way to restrict data from being transferred from the phone (to avoid PAYG credit being drained at an extortionate rate) but still use voice, sms, wifi, bt and non-assisted GPS?

There's an option under Accounts and sync settings to disable background data but when disabled it warns me that some applications may still be able to use it!

Guest Simon O

You cannot fully disable data usage on an Android phone. What you can do is install APNdroid which will rename the APN information so it forcibly breaks data from working, but Android is designed not to be offline.

Guest deweylewie

So something like APNDroid which mangles the APN settings will still allow data transfers? I know most people get data plans on these phones but i'd like to use my PAYG credit for calls and texts only and keep the phone effectively offline until I connect it to a wifi network. Is that not possible?

Guest Simon O
So something like APNDroid which mangles the APN settings will still allow data transfers? I know most people get data plans on these phones but i'd like to use my PAYG credit for calls and texts only and keep the phone effectively offline until I connect it to a wifi network. Is that not possible?

Nah if you use APNdroid it'll mangle the APN settings to prevent data transfer but apps will still try and connect.. just won't be anything to connect to, if you get what I mean.

Probably would be the best way of doing things as it'll still allow you to connect to wifi.

Guest Kuteguy

sounds simple

cant you just Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile networks -> 'Data Connection' (untick) - works fine for me or am I missing something

I use PhoneWeaver to manage these automatically based on location, time, etc by setting up different profiles

Guest oh!dougal
You cannot fully disable data usage on an Android phone. What you can do is ... forcibly break data from working, but Android is designed not to be offline.

cant you just Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Mobile networks -> 'Data Connection' (untick) - works fine for me or am I missing something

@ Fibblesan, are you saying that Apps (or the OS) can silently change or bypass this user Setting?

I have mobile data off at the moment, and when I run those junk Orange apps I get a warning that the App is going to make a data connection and asks me to allow or cancel.

Can/do particular apps (or the OS) just make the {ADDED - chargeable} mobile data connection without asking permission?

{I'm sure lots of background chatter goes on to keep the phone a good citizen on the network, and many phones also check for s/w updates ... but this isn't chargeable activity.}

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest Simon O

Unchecking the "Data Connection" option does not completely kill data usage. You will need to disable data roaming and disable all sync settings at least. Some Android applications can actually bypass the settings and still access the internet even if you've unchecked the "Data Connection" option. The best solution is to just use APNdroid to completely kill the data settings so nothing can access the internet over cell, but wifi will still function.

It's a known issue with smart phones in general.

Guest Simon O
@ Fibblesan, are you saying that Apps (or the OS) can silently change or bypass this user Setting?

I have mobile data off at the moment, and when I run those junk Orange apps I get a warning that the App is going to make a data connection and asks me to allow or cancel.

Can/do particular apps (or the OS) just make the {ADDED - chargeable} mobile data connection without asking permission?

{I'm sure lots of background chatter goes on to keep the phone a good citizen on the network, and many phones also check for s/w updates ... but this isn't chargeable activity.}

Yes, exactly. Some Android application can enable the data connection if you've disabled it via the settings menu. This is why it's better to use an application that changes the APN settings to prevent data usage. Every time your phone accesses data it will cost you.

Guest tombii

Some operators automatically correct erroneus APNs and forward the data anyway. In that case APNdroid won't work. I don't know if any UK operator does it so you have to try it out and see if it works for you.

Guest oh!dougal
Unchecking the "Data Connection" option does not completely kill data usage. You will need to disable data roaming and disable all sync settings at least. Some Android applications can actually bypass the settings and still access the internet even if you've unchecked the "Data Connection" option. ...

It's a known issue with smart phones in general.

Yes, exactly. Some Android application can enable the data connection if you've disabled it via the settings menu. ...

The (general smartphone) issue known to me was that with a Data Connection enabled, Apps could and would use it without needing to involve the user.

And thus the user could use MUCH more data transfer than she expected.

However, the idea that an App can itself enable the Mobile Data Connection is surprising - to put it mildly.

Could I have a specific example please?

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest spoonium
Some operators automatically correct erroneus APNs and forward the data anyway. In that case APNdroid won't work. I don't know if any UK operator does it so you have to try it out and see if it works for you.

o2 Germany seems to be such an operator, as I've read multiple times that it automatically chooses the correct APN settings. Not sure about other countries or if this is still the case (only read about it, and thread is a few months old).

Guest bobby-gg

I had APNdroid installed on my GW620 and it worked great, really made a difference to the battery life

Just installed it on the blade, and it doesn't block my 3g access at all, even with the option to disable all APN's, it will still allow a connection?

Guest zerosignull

There is an option on the pulse to disable data connection. This disabled the 3g AND 2g bit of the phone so it was impossible to transmit any data. Phone calls and texts worked fine though ... and the battery last for about a week...

I think the "data connection" checkbox in the SF does teh same thing. easy way to check is to turn it on. if you have no 3g or 2g icon next to your phone reception strength then :)

Guest Marinetux
o2 Germany seems to be such an operator, as I've read multiple times that it automatically chooses the correct APN settings. Not sure about other countries or if this is still the case (only read about it, and thread is a few months old).

Hi,

O2 is working fine with APNdroid, no issues at all. :)

Guest The Red

This might sound stupid but this is my first smart phone and on my older phones I never used the internet/data in any capacity or than for sms/mms.

If I disable data connections, as I have done, will I be charged when receiving an mms?

I ask because even though I disabled data connections, when I received an mms earlier the 3g icon appeared next to my reception indicator.

Guest pinkllama

can anyone comment on this app:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/dcswitch-widge...tor.dcs.plus.wo

it claims to use a different method than changing the APN to stop data. reviews seem to back this up. i installed the free version and it did kill the data (at least the data icon on the notification bar.

another app that i use is:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/batteryfu-batt...urien.batteryfu

it turns off data when the screen is off (with a delay if you want) and can turn data back on at a set interval for a set amount of time.