To root, or not to root...

Guest BK2FUT

Guest BK2FUT

First off, I apologise if this is a 'noob' or amateurish question to ask, but I've searched through 5/6 pages of threads, and can't really find a simple and distinct answer, so I thought I'd just ask directly. For the sake of clarity.

What are the main advantages of rooting a GT540?

Personally, I'm only considering it because I've heard you can then move/install apps to the memory card, something that could be essential due to the woefully limited internal memory of the Optimus handset.

Is a custom/hacked firmware requried?

Please let me know if I'm missing anthing obvious, and thanks again for your patience with my newbie question.

Sincerely,

OT.

Guest honestguvnor
What are the main advantages of rooting a GT540?

It enables you to become the root user on Linux (administrator on Windows) and modify the system files. The user is prevented from doing this by the phone suppliers because an inexperienced and/or careless user can easily make the phone unusable. However, diagnosing many problems and implementing a range of open source improvements requires root access.

Personally, I'm only considering it because I've heard you can then move/install apps to the memory card, something that could be essential due to the woefully limited internal memory of the Optimus handset.

It is a cheap phone. The memory is limited to keep costs down along with a range of other lower cost choices. Personally I think the balance is about right and good value for an entry level phone.

Is a custom/hacked firmware requried?

Yes for Android 2.1 but no for Android 2.2.

Personally, I would not be surprised if LG drop support for the phone fairly soon and never release Android 2.2 or 3.x. However, if they shift a good number as is likely with the cheap price and current Android enthusiasm then there is every chance custom/hacked versions of 2.2 and 3.x will appear.

Guest BK2FUT
It enables you to become the root user on Linux (administrator on Windows) and modify the system files. The user is prevented from doing this by the phone suppliers because an inexperienced and/or careless user can easily make the phone unusable. However, diagnosing many problems and implementing a range of open source improvements requires root access.

It is a cheap phone. The memory is limited to keep costs down along with a range of other lower cost choices. Personally I think the balance is about right and good value for an entry level phone.

Yes for Android 2.1 but no for Android 2.2.

Personally, I would not be surprised if LG drop support for the phone fairly soon and never release Android 2.2 or 3.x. However, if they shift a good number as is likely with the cheap price and current Android enthusiasm then there is every chance custom/hacked versions of 2.2 and 3.x will appear.

That's brilliant.

Thanks very much for the carefully considered reply, it is sincerely appreciated.

Rumours abound that a 2.1 update is coming soon. I'd like to say I'm holding out hope for 2.2, but I fear you're right when you predict they'll drop support.

I'm not complaining; it was a £99 phone, and my first Android device.

Like you say, for entry level I think it's a fantastic device.

Definitely convinced me of Android's significance... I'm a fan.

Guest Carbonize
Rumours abound that a 2.1 update is coming soon.

It's already here and a lot of people are running it. If you don't fancy the hassle of updating yourself you will just have to wait until the update is available for your firmware version.

It's already here and a lot of people are running it. If you don't fancy the hassle of updating yourself you will just have to wait until the update is available for your firmware version.

That's what I mean; I'd rather wait for the official UK LG release of the upgrade and do it that way, through their own software, rather than trying to flash custom ROMs from different locations, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

One more quick question:

I essentially only want to root my phone (LG GT540) in order to run App2SD when/if the official 2.1 upgrade becomes available.

Will I be able to root the phone, upgrade via LGs official software, use this app, and essentially then just ignore the fact that I've rooted it?

I.e. just ignore all of the new Super User features I'd rather not mess with as an amateur?

Will the phone still update via the official LG update software if it's rooted?

Will this un-do the rooting?

Thanks!

Guest ilovelg

If you dont know all this stuff... Trust me, you dont need a rooted phone. Couse you wont get some FANCY NEW BUTTONS THAT ONCE YOU PRESS THEM ADMIN PANEL APPEARS AND YOU CAN BASICLY EDIT EVERYTHING ON YOUR PHONE WITH KINDERGARDEN UI. Simply - its not like that. You will only Unlock Administrator right on the phone, meaning you can acces the root directory of your phone, change/pull/overwrite some files to change something in your system ( i would not recomend to do this for you ) You can easily brick up your phone like that if anything would end up wrong.

Edited by ilovelg

Guest ASY9650
One more quick question:

I essentially only want to root my phone (LG GT540) in order to run App2SD when/if the official 2.1 upgrade becomes available.

Will I be able to root the phone, upgrade via LGs official software, use this app, and essentially then just ignore the fact that I've rooted it?

I.e. just ignore all of the new Super User features I'd rather not mess with as an amateur?

Will the phone still update via the official LG update software if it's rooted?

Will this un-do the rooting?

Thanks!

It should still connect to LG's update server without any problems.

HOWEVER, The update may undo the rooting of the phone. It will more than likely do that as the next update is 2.1

which will wipe all the phone's data and rewrite the new 2.1 firmware to it. So if you are intending on updating officially,

I would root after that update takes place. Rooting that ROM will use the same method that many are using at the moment...

I can't see why not, It's very straight forward, and is literally a 10 second, 1 click job.

It should still connect to LG's update server without any problems.

HOWEVER, The update may undo the rooting of the phone. It will more than likely do that as the next update is 2.1

which will wipe all the phone's data and rewrite the new 2.1 firmware to it. So if you are intending on updating officially,

I would root after that update takes place. Rooting that ROM will use the same method that many are using at the moment...

I can't see why not, It's very straight forward, and is literally a 10 second, 1 click job.

That's brilliant, thanks very much for the reply.

Much obliged!

:)