CyanogenMod 6 port for Pulse

Guest Tom G

Thanks starkos,

I repacked the rom with the script in it, deleted ramzswap.ko for no compcache ( as suggested by Tom) and added your oc image.

I have a 64Mb swap partition made with AmonRa. Is swappiness of 15 mean that some 15Mb`s of the swap is used? Works very good, it certainly is a lot snappier without compcache. It would be very nice if we could have the overclocking made into a loadable module :P

I wonder why having a swap partition is better than using compcache? Slow CPU? I believe that the MCR 1.5 rom had compcache enabled and it was working fine (i suppose :D )

Linpack:

3.114 MFLOPS (w/o JIT)

5.051 MFLOPS (with JIT)

Quadrant (full benchmark):

448 (w/o JIT)

476 (with JIT)

SetCPU:

Long Bench 8195ms (w/o JIT)

Long Bench 7383ms (with JIT)

Cheers

What did you install ???

Guest wwwhizz
Thanks starkos,

I repacked the rom with the script in it, deleted ramzswap.ko for no compcache ( as suggested by Tom) and added your oc image.

I have a 64Mb swap partition made with AmonRa. Is swappiness of 15 mean that some 15Mb`s of the swap is used? Works very good, it certainly is a lot snappier without compcache. It would be very nice if we could have the overclocking made into a loadable module :D

I wonder why having a swap partition is better than using compcache? Slow CPU? I believe that the MCR 1.5 rom had compcache enabled and it was working fine (i suppose :D )

Linpack:

3.114 MFLOPS (w/o JIT)

5.051 MFLOPS (with JIT)

Quadrant (full benchmark):

448 (w/o JIT)

476 (with JIT)

SetCPU:

Long Bench 8195ms (w/o JIT)

Long Bench 7383ms (with JIT)

Cheers

Can you share that repacked ROM with us? :P

Edited by wwwhizz

Extract the attached zip & place file (32swapon) in /system/etc/init.d/ on the phone & it will activate swap on boot.

Probably best to disable compcache first.

Only use if you have a swap partition.

If you open the file with a text editor, you can change the swappiness value.

If you do not have an external partion (ext2/3 etc), change mmcblk0p3 to mmcblk0p2

32swapon.zip

What size swap partition would you recommend?

Guest starkos
What size swap partition would you recommend?

Not sure to be honest, I think back on eclair/older Froyo roms 64mb became quite common & that's what I'm using now. I think it can depend on the individual to be honest so you may need to trial & error it, although that would be quite tedious reformatting your sdcard over and over lol

Guest agressor12

I would like to ask for some help! 00:30 CM6 copied the ROM to the SD card, and started the recovery in phone, then wipe factory, and started the flash zip, and then get to throw out half of the installation errors, failed to ask the ROM: 7 Status Error! Attempt did not work several times. Know some solution to it?

PLEASE HELP!!

Edited by agressor12

Guest starkos

I applied the compcache patch to the kernel that Tom used & it appears to now work without re-boots! Been playing with it for the last 10 mins and it's running very nicely. So the attached kernel has the usual over clocking ability up to 710Mhz and compatibility with compcache.

Just because it works for me it doesn't mean it will for you!

Make sure you do a nand/bart backup first!

All the people who had re-booting issues before, it would be great to hear if this now works for you.

And on a side note, I deleted my swap script & used just compcache & I think I may prefer it! What's everyone else's opinion on swap vs compcache who flash this kernel & have tried both??

CM6_0.3.oc.kernel.patched_signed.zip

Edited by starkos

Guest arlindo.costa
Glad it is working for you. Did you have to delete ramzswap.ko like flip360 did, or did it just work with compcache disabled as it does for me?

No.. Haven't really looked at swap. Ive got around 110 MB RAM free so havent really bother :P. Ill have a look later to see if its working. Got Compcahe disabled through CM6s menu.

Thanks starkos,

Do i delete this file:

insmod /system/lib/modules/compcache/ramzswap.ko ? Trying to drill down further to just the ramzswap.ko bit grinds my phone to a standstill.

Guest Nuggets86
I applied the compcache patch to the kernel that Tom used & it appears to now work without re-boots! Been playing with it for the last 10 mins and it's running very nicely. So the attached kernel has the usual over clocking ability up to 710Mhz and compatibility with compcache.

All the people who had re-booting issues before, it would be great to hear if this now works for you.

And on a side note, I deleted my swap script & used just compcache & I think I may prefer it! What's everyone else's opinion on swap vs compcache who flash this kernel & have tried both??

What does mean "signed" at the end of the file ?

Guest totiadrenalin
Will these symlinks be lost after a reboot?

And one more thing is bugging me, is /sd-ext/ mounted after a reboot?

Where would the script go to make sure it does what its supposed to at the right time when booting up?

Any help is appreciated :P

First let me answer yes.

Yes. The sd-ext partition is mounting on boot.

Yes. The symlink stays after reboot.

And If you like to have the backing swap?

Well install swapper2.apk

If you have the swap partition. then point the path of the swap partition.

/dev/block/mmcblk0p3

And well.

After 1-2 minutes, the phone is becomes very fast.

Not as with the OC kernel. But it's nice to work on.

Guest starkos
What does mean "signed" at the end of the file ?

It just means it's been signed, therefore it will work in Amon RA recovery. Update.zip's do not need to be signed if you are using Clockwork recovery...

no, it doesnt work for me. sometimes the screen with the little letters *android* appeares, then reboot. i never see the anaimated screen.

i tried it with compcache enabled and after restore i tried it again with comcache disabled. both times with full wipe. just to notice.

Guest eliotpoon

Thank you Tom and your great work. The repacked OC Kernel is work stable. The testing results for JIT and compcache enabled were

Quadrant Standard: 476 (higher than Sony X10 and close to HTC Desire)(Amazing result!!)

Long Bench of Setcpu: 7381

Linkpack: 4.883

Guest starkos
no, it doesnt work for me. sometimes the screen with the little letters *android* appeares, then reboot. i never see the anaimated screen.

i tried it with compcache enabled and after restore i tried it again with comcache disabled. both times with full wipe. just to notice.

Your phone should at least boot up, so there might be another reason for your problem. Also you shouldn't need to do a wipe, so try again if you have time but without wiping & with compcache disabled to start with.

Guest totiadrenalin

Well?

We get the ultimate of our phone.

Now with Compcache, swap, Overclocked CPU, and the Android OS is working perfect.

Well done TOM G and Starkos.

Thank you guys.

I really appreciate it.

Well now?

I guess that only the usb and wifi tethering left.

\If you want to use the swap?

Well use the Swapper2.apk.

THANK YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!

Guest petz20099

Hi Guys,

I've noticed that the file init.qcom.rc in root directory has the "^M" at the end of each line. This is tipically generated by Windows Notepad when a file is modified then saved.

I know that files which contain the "^M" cannot be read or can be misread. You can find the "^M" only through the vi editor.

My question: does anyone how to modify that file? Through adb pull and adb push process?

Thank you.

Petz

Guest totiadrenalin
Hi Guys,

I've noticed that the file init.qcom.rc in root directory has the "^M" at the end of each line. This is tipically generated by Windows Notepad when a file is modified then saved.

I know that files which contain the "^M" cannot be read or can be misread. You can find the "^M" only through the vi editor.

My question: does anyone how to modify that file? Through adb pull and adb push process?

Thank you.

Petz

Nope.

init.rc?

well only split the boot.img

editing the init.rc

and repacking back to boot.img.

even if you try to edit the init.rc via dab while the phone is in recovery mod.

After the boot some magic is happening there and when the phone boot's up you will find the old init.rc.

:P

Edited by totiadrenalin

Guest starkos
Hi Guys,

Thank you.

Petz

I believe you would need to unpack the boot.img & then extract the ramdisk-img & then repack it all. Good catch though, hopefully Tom will have a look & say whether it was deliberate or the effects of it...

Guest agressor12

I would like to ask for some help! 0.30 CM6 copied the ROM to the SD card, and started the recovery in phone, then wipe factory, and started the flash zip, and then get to throw out half of the installation errors, failed to ask the ROM: 7 Status Error! Attempt did not work several times. Know some solution to it?

PLEASE HELP!!

Edited by agressor12

Guest wwwhizz

The CM6_0.3.oc.kernel.patched_signed.zip seems to work fine :P Thanks a bunch :D

Can anyone tell me how I can verify that SWAP and/or compcache are working?

JIT an OC can be checked with linpack, right?

Guest starkos
I would like to ask for some help! 00:30 CM6 copied the ROM to the SD card, and started the recovery in phone, then wipe factory, and started the flash zip, and then get to throw out half of the installation errors, failed to ask the ROM: 7 Status Error! Attempt did not work several times. Know some solution to it?

PLEASE HELP!!

I'm assuming you don't know how to sign update.zip's, so your best bet would be to flash the Clockworkmod recovery instead of using Amon RA. Search the forums for clockworkmod recovery :P

The CM6_0.3.oc.kernel.patched_signed.zip seems to work fine :D Thanks a bunch :D

Can anyone tell me how I can verify that SWAP and/or compcache are working?

JIT an OC can be checked with linpack, right?

Type free in the terminal & there should be a line called swap with numbers :P

Edited by starkos

Guest bedevil99
On my phone, Android Market is missing. Does anyone know why ?

You'll probably have to go to the official 2.1 UK release, then flash CM6.0 and then you need to make sure that you flash the tiny version of google apps...there is a link somewhere on this thread...this worked for me as I had the same issue

My setup:

1. Flashed CM6 0.30 and booted

2. Flashed dtapps2sd-2.7.5-rc3c-signed.zip

3. Flashed gapps

apps and dalvik are on SD, swap partition 32MB and compcache enabled.

No errors and no reboots :D

Wow, that was easy! I don't know what my problem was earlier. :P Any possibility it matters the order of a2sd and gapps? That's all I can think it that I had done differently.

Guest Nuggets86
You'll probably have to go to the official 2.1 UK release, then flash CM6.0 and then you need to make sure that you flash the tiny version of google apps...there is a link somewhere on this thread...this worked for me as I had the same issue

Ok thanks.

I will try. Before I was using flb 1.5. So you think I have to flash again 2.1UK even I used flb 1.5 ?